Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Maps (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   ff_barren ( last update 23.09.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)) (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=8483)

Player 06-08-2007 05:53 PM

A TIE Fighter coming in for a crash landing.

Donny 06-08-2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Player
A TIE Fighter coming in for a crash landing.

Sounds like spam to me. Good that he crashed tho.

Circuitous 06-08-2007 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donny
Circ, better? There's your deserty bushes.
http://usera.imagecave.com/DonnyMaan...en0040.jpg.jpg

Well, they're nice, except you put them on the outside instead of using them to break out the big-ass emptiness directly in front of the camera here, which is what I was referring to.

own3r 06-08-2007 07:28 PM

Could you do it with more contrast I really cant read it im afraid but that style looks alright. Maybe you could do it on paper 'pinned' onto the wood ++creativity.

Pixel 06-08-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Can't read it needs stroke or something.

l2ampage 06-09-2007 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel
Can't read it needs stroke or something.

It is really hard to read. :O different color maybe? I dunno.
I like the "Blue Sucks" xD

Player 06-09-2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Sounds like spam to me.

No, I was merely responding to your question.

Your notice board/bill board thing is an improvement, but the font is not very legible as it is. Try to make it more apparent and defined.

-=bingo-bango=- 06-09-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Circ, better? There's your deserty bushes.
http://usera.imagecave.com/DonnyMaan...en0040.jpg.jpg

Looks good, except maby make them a bit lighter and a little more brown. and spread them out a little bit more throught the middle of the open space sort of like this
http://www.confluence.org/mn/all/n43e102/thumb1.jpg

Circuitous 06-10-2007 01:10 AM

Right. FILL THE OPEN AREA. Brushes don't grow in the shade. Probably.

Donny 06-10-2007 05:59 AM

I dont feel like modeling a bushes bingo... the ones I used are stock HL2 ones.

I supose I could use somesort of dead grass thing sprite that sticks out of the texture. I just dont know how to do such a thing.
Shouldnt be more harder to do than editing the vtm tho..

I'm planning to put some rocks there where you said Circ.

And about the billboard, I'll do something about it, even you can read it in-game. The image quality just makes it look harder to read.

Imbrifer 06-10-2007 06:28 AM

Donny: You're doin solid so far. Here are some recommendations:

I like the environment, atmosphere and theme you have going on. Will be quite unique.
1. Add some varied height to your desert areas.
2. The rocks are built well, but considering adding smaller rocks in front of the walls to make it appear realistic. This tutorial says/shows it very well, and its very simple & quick.
3. Don't worry too much about the bushes - there are models for shrubs and grasses in FF that you'll be able to use once its out!
4. Break up wide open areas with bits of cover. Height and depth also make it more exciting - add a dried up river bed, or some rocks, or perhaps a short cliff or a decaying shack. While it is true that you dont want to put shiat in peoples way in FF, open areas are boring and deadly. Look at all the popular maps - every one has some sort of obstructions/cover for their midfield to make it more interesting.

Good work on the buildings so far. Lots of mappers seem to have trouble making decent looking buildings, but you seem to have grabbed on to the art of making buildings with dimension that look interesting. Especially the one on the right. Keep playing with some of the architecture. Some roofs look weird - you want to add some trim to them, since most roofs are built like this and have trim that looks like this. This is something many mappers (even the maker of dustbowl ;) ) frequently overlook. It adds excellent dimension to your buildings and makes the map look much more professional. If you harken back to just about any quality map you know (de_cbble and cs_italy come to mind) youll notice that their roofs have trim like the above real examples.

Donny 06-10-2007 08:40 AM

1. Yep, if you look at the CP1 buildings door you'll see rock pulling out of the sand. EDIT: Dont take this by "That'll be only varity", I meant that I have this in mind ;)
2. I will not worry about the cliffs that surround this whole map so much right now. When I have CP3 somewhat ready I'll start tweaking and fucking the map so much that my... ok I'll just tweak the map when I have the general shape ready. ;) It'll be done, not just now tho.
3. Ok, tell that to the other lads here :P
4. Will do. Last thing I want is that this map would turn into sniper map.

Yeah, I dislike the roofs, and I dont like them so much, belive me there will be chainges.

News? Ah yes, news... Im planning CP2 in mah head, I have the idea 'ready'. It'll be partly underground. Main problem in it will be that I dont want it to be to well defendable for enemy team.
And in personal life, I just joined in a band. I'll be playing guitar in it and I must practise that too.
Dont worry, I wont let it too much between you and ff_barren. :rolleyes: :lol:

Beetle 06-10-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

I dont feel like modeling a bushes bingo... the ones I used are stock HL2 ones.

I supose I could use somesort of dead grass thing sprite that sticks out of the texture. I just dont know how to do such a thing.
Shouldnt be more harder to do than editing the vtm tho..

I'm planning to put some rocks there where you said Circ.

And about the billboard, I'll do something about it, even you can read it in-game. The image quality just makes it look harder to read.

You could always edit those sandy textures to have a few detail sprites (the little weeds) to make it more broken up.

Donny 06-10-2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beetle
You could always edit those sandy textures to have a few detail sprites (the little weeds) to make it more broken up.

I was talking about the same thing few posts above. :confused:
I just dont know all the details about making them.

Beetle 06-10-2007 05:07 PM

oops, better read more then.

found this. i think it explains it well.
http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=...4989&v=flatold

Donny 06-10-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beetle
oops, better read more then.

found this. i think it explains it well.
http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=...4989&v=flatold

Nice! I'll look on it when Im mapping again.

stino 06-11-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Circuitous
Well, they're nice, except you put them on the outside instead of using them to break out the big-ass emptiness directly in front of the camera here, which is what I was referring to.

func_detail !! :D

no really, just at a %detailtype "..." to your vmt file :D

and use a default one, editing the detail.vbsp is really a bad idea, you are a community mapper, not a member of the dev team so, you shouldn't edit anything mod related. Or you will be the only one that can see them :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Circuitous
Right. FILL THE OPEN AREA. Brushes don't grow in the shade. Probably.

not if it's to hot in the sun :D

Donny 06-12-2007 07:29 PM

Currently stino is looking at me vmf and ripping his hair off for fixing all the errors I've made :D He tries to make the grass work, because I dont get it to show up.

Later without posting:
Seems like I cant do this the way I want to. The grass texture only works when I use the sand texture only and paint alpha on where I want it to be used. It doesnt work with the blend (because I cant paint alpha on just the sand?)
This is weard shit. We're both bald now.

GambiT 06-12-2007 07:49 PM

um...what?

what exactly is it doing/not doing?

did you modify any vmt's?

Beetle 06-12-2007 07:54 PM

you sure there isnt a sand to grass blend rather than a grass to sand or rock to sand?