View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
Orange Box SDK problems? Anyone else?

I'm almost finished with my free lancing projects so I'd like to get the SDK setup so I can just jump right in and start when I do finish. Problem is I bought the Orange Box and after installing that I cannot get anything to compile. At first FF would not even load up in Hammer. I had to edit the gameinfo.txt and replace the application id with TF2's id. Now I can do everything except compile and this isn't just FF specific. I can't compile anything, whether it's HL2DM, TF2, Portal, or what not. I'm not at the computer now so I can't get the exact error message but I believe it had to do with the compiling programs; VVIS wouldn't create the '.bsp'. I scoured Valve's site for answers but all I found was a nice disclaimer note stating that "Orange Box fixed some bugs but created a lot of other bugs." So I'm gonna put my money on that but this was right after Orange Box was released.

So has anyone had the same problem or would even know why the problem exists? I've tried wiping Steam out, and not installing Orange Box, just installing the SDK through Steam. However that creates another problem. All the SDK files are now the ones used in the Orange Box product and when I goto load up Hammer, it only shows TF2, Portal, or EP2 in the 'Current Game' list, when I don't even have the games installed. I wiped Steam again, this time replacing my whole XP partition back to it's vanilla state (I have an image of XP right after an install with updates and settings set before anything has been installed after) and still goes back to Orange Box.

My fix for the moment is to reinstall HL2 from the CDs I have and just add FF and work that way. But the problem is I need TF2 for my next map cause I plan on developing the same map for TF2 and FF.

Any help or information on Valve's great assortment of shi..., I mean buggy, software would be great. Thanks for your time, sorry for the lengthy post but tried being as detailed as possible.
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote