Old 03-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

Class/Position: Variable
Gametype: QuakeLive CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork View Post
I don't necessarily has to be EU vs NA. (there's a reason we don't play together often, my ping is atrocious across the lake. as yours is here.)

Just more good quality videos, or even virals will generate info. We need to make it a household name, so when people think of a fortress-game, they think of FF, just like you think of Quake 3 when someone says 1v1 dm game.

Whether Quake 3 is the best 1v1 game is completely subjective, but the fact that even if you haven't played, you know about Quake 3 1v1 from CPL, CAL, GGL, OGL, or THE MANY FRAG MOVIES, is what makes it a household name.

Edit: Please Pardon my poor English, I am American. =)
I mention the EU vs. NA for multiple reasons.

#1 - It's a game between two continents, the idea of "the best vs. the best" springs to mind and it creates a lot of hype just by name. If it was [SDS] vs. [GGM] no one would care, so the EU/NA nature of it gets people interested.

#2 - The EU vs. NA games are the only current 8v8's taking place amongst a high quality bunch of players. Regardless of latency, which isn't to bad if the right servers are selected and alternated.

#3 - These games offer a fantastic taste of what FF has to offer in terms of frantic, intense gameplay and a variety of classes and roles to play.

The latency issue is a minor one in todays world as far as I'm concerned. Having one match on an NA server and one on an EU server really lessens the blow. I remember playing in a trans-atlantic CS championship years ago, the best in the UK against the best in America. At the time the internet connections were far worse and it was a very difficult match to play. These days though, under 100ms is achievable for both sides as long as the servers are well selected.

Random videos of random kills on what most will see as a random mod, or just TFC-Source will not have such a great effect as well produced movies with a message or reason for production.

Your idea of a movie of public skill is a good one, a nice frag movie showing high quality action from multiple perspectives. The EU vs. NA movie is another one that would really work.

Remember all the fanboys that jump on those 360 vs. PS3 vs. PC articles that all the stupid game sites keep posting in order to get more traffic? Well the EU vs. NA thing could have a similar effect since it's a rivalry people are going to care about far more than random clan vs. random clan.
xks is offline   Reply With Quote