View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
yfni

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
ff.pickup community idea

I would like to bring USA and EURO pickup communities closer together.

I think this would benefit the growth of both communities. There would be more pickups throughout the day. In my opinion having more pickups attracts more players on both sides of the ocean.

Latency for most of europe on american servers and vice versa is around 120 or lower. I accept that having a higher ping makes it harder to play. So that needs to be taken into account when teams are formed by the bots. Might be fun to try some new things like play engy, more medic/spy. I've seen hwguy do crazy things with high ping.

I do not think merging the channels is a feasible option at the moment but I don't think it's necessary either.

I'd like to base pickup server location on a timeline (not admin):
Don't dismiss this before you actually read it...

"normal" game time: 20:00~00:00

USA = -8 ~ -5 GMT
EURO = -1 ~ 2 GMT
For europe this would mean in GMT: 19:00~02:00
For USA this would mean in GMT: 01:00~8:00
nomanstime: 1:00~2:00 | 8:00~19:00

When a pickup is started in the for that continent "normal" game time then a server based in that region should be picked.

When a pickup is started in nomanstime the number of players per region decides location of pickup.

The people on quakenet can talk to the people on gamesurge by starting their line with:
EURO:
USA:

For all this to work we need to bring things closer together on both pickup channels. In addition to normal pickup rules I propose the following:

1. Nominate system is to be used on both sides.

2. Abuse of any kind is not allowed. If you have a problem with someone deal with it in prvmsg and not in pickup channel or server. Especially abuse/insults on voice of new/old players will not be tolerated.

3. When you add to the pickup and the pickup fills you are expected to join within 5 minutes. If you fail to do so repeatedly you will be banned for a few days.

4. Obvious unfair teams need to be sorted by means of captains, The final say rests with the pickup starter. However if a player considers the admin unfit to make this assessment you can report him to the head admin after the game.

5. If you feel you are treated unfairly you can either speak to the admin of that specific pickup or to the head admin of your continent.

6. If you feel that the admin of the other region should not be admin at all for whatever reason you can take it up with one of the head-admins.

7. Reasonable and accessible leadership of admins & players is needed on both sides. rcon passwords need to be shared. Euro admins will need american rcons and vice versa. Admins need to be trustworthy and respectable so that both sides will be comfortable in sharing these rcon passwords. This is very important obviously.

In practice this wouldn't change much because normal game time of both continents hardly cross eachother (1 hour in the night for euro and 1 hour in the early evening for usa)

Last edited by yfni; 09-26-2009 at 09:33 PM.
yfni is offline   Reply With Quote