Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga
SRCDS is ALL about CPU. What's the processor in the box?
I dont remember the exact CPU specs, so I sent an email to tech support. When they send a reply I will get it posted.

Instead of 16 players, how about a 12 or 14 player server?

Back in the days of quakeworld, server admins knew that players took up exactly X amount of memory. I think it was like 2 - 3 megs for every player that was connected. This helped admins get an idea of how much memory the server needed. But then again, back in those days memory was $2 a meg.

I know you said its all about the CPU, but surely the mod takes "some" memory? If so, how much are we talking about?

Over the past few months I have been thinking of upgrading my hosting package to a gig of memory, more HD space an more bandwidth limits. This would only be about $15 more a month. Currently, one of my forums gets 1.4+ million page views a month. I would rather have the resources there "before" I need them.

So I need to take the game server into consideration before I upgrade the hosting package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
It's been our experience that web servers on game boxes cause considerable lag spikes, I wouldn't run them in the same place.
Scuzzy
What kind of servers are yall running? I know one community with a website and 4 (tf2, 2Xtfc, CS:S) servers. But he has about 4 gigs of memory and top of the line Intel processors on a dedicated box.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote