Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Javert

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
FF Historical Stats and Thoughts

Hi guys,

Out of curiosity I wanted to collect stats for a mod from its opening day onward. I had to stop though after my computer borked and the data seemed less interesting as time went on. Nonetheless I thought it would have been a waste not to have ever shared what I collected. So below are graphs of Players (members), Servers, and Player Minutes per Month (PMM), in millions of minutes.

As you can see, TFF had a very impressive release that was decimated by the TF2 mod. The loss of Players was close to 51%. Although the tail-end of my graph showed an upswing, the most recent data point (not included) is well under 200 Players.

The good news was that server numbers stayed mostly constant, which I guess says something about the supply of servers, and that PMM actually went up a bit even after the release of TF2 beta. People were playing longer, even if there were less people playing. I think this also coincided with PlanetHalflife's TF2-FF feature but I'm not sure on that.

For consistency, I tried to collect my data-point at around 5pm PST (8pm EST) on each day. Therefore, I would not use this to judge European/Asian player-time.

I think doing this type of graphing and analysis is important so that mod developers can see player trends, whether they are reacting to patches/marketing, who are playing (by timezone), and whether another event/release is taking away players (the obvious case here was the TF2 beta).

Are there any other mods out there that you would like to see this done? I have my sights on some others including one I'm beta testing right now.

No I didn't do this for a beta or a job, but I have always been a pro-mod person, and anything that helps mods out is a good thing. If you are a FF dev team member and you want the origianl MS Excel file, PM me.

Apologies for the long windedness, and I hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
wow you must really have nothing to do!

JK looks nice, kinda cool to see the stats!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Perhaps steps should be taken to make sure that something is done to resurrect this community and mod, I'd hate to see it fade away slowly without a fighting chance.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
Neya

Actually, we do know FF is dying

So, can you go away with your stats?

You are evil!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
RocKwell
Regular or Menthol?

Affiliations: :e0: .o`
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neya

You are evil!
I think the graphs are really interesting, especially if you look at the last week and see the slight improvement. That may be because of the new patch coming up, more exposure (FF was covered in this month's "Games for Windows") or people that are getting tired of TF2.
RocKwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Javert

Quote:

You are evil!
That was not my point. I personally would've preferred something more constant than what I have as reality. I'm only showing what is there.

As for my evilness, maybe in some other areas, my Heavy abuse perhaps, but not here.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
FF just took the hit that every other Source mod has so far - short attention spans. On top of that was TF2. I also notice a large decrease is players in TF2, especially after those first few days. Not to say its dying, far from it, but again, people have short attention spans.

But really, FF will only die when there is no one left to play it at all.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
So basically I will never let it die cause I'll play it to the end of time if I have to.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Can't say it any better than that.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #10
Major Lee High
Retired Mapper

There are alot more people playing usually then most mods ever get on at their best. And compared to TFC (which is alot of bots anyway) FF has a pretty good ammount of the fortress players, even without the fake steamfriends player count added on. I have played mods with less than a full server for years before, and tbh the small communitys are almost always better than the huge ones.

As long as the devs keep going, and the community keeps making new maps/gametypes I think the player count will go up. Whenever there is something good enough to get a news item on gamespy or anywhere hl2 owners can see it people will come back and try. Need to do more than just polish it and make more remake maps though, its been clear to me since launch that pr was never a problem. plenty of people played and left for many reasons (tf2 probably one of them) most of which have been brought up here alot, mostly gameplay related problems imo.
Major Lee High is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 12:18 AM   #11
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Quote:
Looks like the closest FF will ever come to dying will be KubeDawg and I running around fragging each other in a listensever. The war is NEVER over!

FORTRESS FOREVER!

-Joker
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 AM   #12
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
yeah i've just learned this patch is waiting on me

i'll get on and do this lua i need to do!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:01 AM   #13
-=Roland=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka

Ack...What are you doing posting here then? Get to work j/k
-=Roland=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 02:05 AM   #14
Stankyfingers
Kalikop

Send a message via Yahoo to Stankyfingers
Dont make me get out the work whip....
Stankyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 02:22 AM   #15
Camphlobactor

Quote:

You are evil!
Uhh no. A mod is only as dead as the community, and this community is probably one of the tops in Source mods. If you want to see a dead community take a look at SourceForts where every thread contains half the members flaming each other and the other half flaming the devs for not updating.
Camphlobactor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 02:47 AM   #16
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Yeah we're more civilized here, more pessimistic, but civilized nonetheless.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 03:08 AM   #17
Johnny Mullet
Fear the Mullet!

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Quote:

Well, that means that QWTF and ETF are both still alive! Look how long those games been around.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javert
Hi guys,

Out of curiosity I wanted to collect stats for a mod from its opening day onward. I had to stop though after my computer borked and the data seemed less interesting as time went on. Nonetheless I thought it would have been a waste not to have ever shared what I collected. So below are graphs of Players (members), Servers, and Player Minutes per Month (PMM), in millions of minutes.

As you can see, TFF had a very impressive release that was decimated by the TF2 mod. The loss of Players was close to 51%. Although the tail-end of my graph showed an upswing, the most recent data point (not included) is well under 200 Players.

The good news was that server numbers stayed mostly constant, which I guess says something about the supply of servers, and that PMM actually went up a bit even after the release of TF2 beta. People were playing longer, even if there were less people playing. I think this also coincided with PlanetHalflife's TF2-FF feature but I'm not sure on that.

For consistency, I tried to collect my data-point at around 5pm PST (8pm EST) on each day. Therefore, I would not use this to judge European/Asian player-time.

I think doing this type of graphing and analysis is important so that mod developers can see player trends, whether they are reacting to patches/marketing, who are playing (by timezone), and whether another event/release is taking away players (the obvious case here was the TF2 beta).

Are there any other mods out there that you would like to see this done? I have my sights on some others including one I'm beta testing right now.

No I didn't do this for a beta or a job, but I have always been a pro-mod person, and anything that helps mods out is a good thing. If you are a FF dev team member and you want the origianl MS Excel file, PM me.

Apologies for the long windedness, and I hope this helps.
Yea this is a good study worth investigating. Translating the data as visual makes it easier to identify the dates that significant events happened. Do you plan to collect data only for the 5pm PST or eventually add perhaps times for the euro/asia/africa/australia playing times? After a few patches, it'd be nice if the FF forums had a section dedicated to these types of data. I know game monitor has something like that too, but their graph only shows 1 month =\. So it'd be awsome if the data can be kepted since ff outing.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
stino

i can do this automaticly, i could write a fast windows application that checks ever X minutes, or i can make a slow php script

only thing i need is a windows server to host the fast app, if nobody has one i'll have to use the php script.
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #20
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka

You want that to be your last words?
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote