halflife/-*out_rk* (hl: source & hl1) 14 9.86%
other (please specify in a post) 10 7.04%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2006, 10:56 AM   #801
o_stino

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formaldehyde
I really like how it looks at night. But not so dark, maybe at dawn or something.
forgot to mention something, those night screens where edited with photoshop to make it a little more visible :d
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #802
o_stino

Just a little question: does anyone has some suggetions for a new flagroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formaldehyde
I really like how it looks at night. But not so dark, maybe at dawn or something.
forgot to mention something, those night screens where edited with photoshop to make it a little more visible :d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Own3r
From a purely gameplay flow prespective this map needs so serious work. The walls should definatly not stick out at the bottom, it narrows already narrow halls and it looks terrible.
Yeah, walls should not stick out at the bottom, the walls at the bottem are a little WIDER than in the original.
Maybe it looks a little weird, but donno if straight walls will look much better!

Quote:
The bridges:

The side rails dont allow you to jump over them ruining the gameplay
thats why i added that striped sidewalk, in 2 jumps you are over them

Quote:
The side rails clip with the player going onto the central bridge,
same with the other bridge, but becouse i haven't used clip brushes anywere for now.

Quote:
The team logos on the briges should be made higher, above the top of the ceiling, so concing players do not clip with it.
if they hit the logo's they will hit the ceiling of the tunnel when the logo's are gone.

Quote:
Every detail you have added needs to be clipped, the player should never get stuck on useless detail Use player clips!
This includes pipes on walls, everything.
most of the pipes that are small on the wall are not solid/should be clipped, but again, i havn't used a single clip brush for the moment.
Biggest thing that is getting the player stuck is that generator outside for the floodlights. the whole hole where it's in will be sealed of with a player_clip
Cables are not solid. and a lot of other detail is unreachable by the player, look at the generator room at the entrance, the rooms above and below the sideentrance, ...

Quote:
The cliffs on the interior stair case should not clip with the player!
You should be able to walk trough them? don't get what you mean here.

Quote:
The flagroom exit needs to be made larger is it too small and spamy at present.
Flagroom is bigger than original

Quote:
From an aesthetic point of view:

The hazzard texture really does suck, ditch it as soon as possible its massivly over used and looks cheap. Any other texture will do just not the hazzards.

The sparks should not be used as much you have used them too much

This is harsh, honest critisim, not an attack.
and this area of the map does still need a lot of work, more than you mentioned above

Last edited by o_stino; 06-01-2006 at 11:50 AM.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #803
o_afx

Well, the most basic way you could improve the flagroom whilst still retaining the same layout, would be to simply raise the base of the flagpit up so that it is on a level with the entrance around half way up.

Doing this may possibly make it too easy to get the flag moving though, due to the smallness of the actual flagroom and its relatively closeness from there to the front door. So if you were willing to alter the map a little more you could possibly add a well style grate to that flagroom doorway and create a timed button to open it somewhere else in the base. Obviously this allows the flag to still be thrown out , but would give a little more of a challenge.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #804
o_stino

hmm, maybe the button can open a grate where you can escape with the flag by going down 2 levels, but this way it whould take much much longer to get out, but nobody will stand in his way becouse that route exits at the left door in the lower part of the canyon, where you see the small building with the green/blue light shining at the door, or only 1 level where you have to get out trough the little tunnel?

Old 06-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #805
o_donny

I heard you stino say that you've got same kind of light bug in this map as the warpath map has, check out the warpath thread. I have way to 'fix' it
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2006, 11:45 AM   #806
o_stino

here's a little screen of the effect i tried, i'm also busy with the flagroom, you can now drop in from above the left entrance (= connection between snipertowers and staircase)

Old 06-25-2006, 12:26 PM   #807
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
can you apply the dustclouds only to the valley below? just wondering what it would look like

Old 06-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #808
o_player

That screenshot has a nice atmosphere I hope the rest of the map is like that.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #809
o_donny

Hmmm. That effect is something I'd like to use in barren too.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #810
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
can you apply the dustclouds only to the valley below? just
wondering what it would look like
i can only make small volumes of dustclouds
i tried smokevolume, but that is getting to thick at long distances, here you can only see smoke that is max 1024 units away, but if i make the brushes to large the smoke doesn't appear

Old 06-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #811
o_caezar

Hey stino, havn't been keeping up with this thread but I thought I would chime in and say: it's lookin' hella tight from the screens. Keep up the good work!
o_caezar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2006, 12:00 AM   #812
o_foxtrick

Just thought I'd post what EXACTLY I was talking about with regards to the cliffs.

Badlands should look similar to this picture I found -> http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_uno_1
o_foxtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2006, 11:14 AM   #813
o_tfcog

How's this map coming along?
o_tfcog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #814
o_own3r

Null and void.

Last edited by o_own3r; 10-09-2006 at 02:51 PM.
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #815
o_ultramarinen02

Some small things...

Hey Stino, map looks good so far. I'm sure there is lots to change and tweak and I just want to mention a few things I noticed while running around then map that may be of use to you or not. These are personal opinions and nobody has to agree, just saying thats all.

1. The lowest path on the outside leads to a room with no path into the actual base, it would be nice if it did have one. Otherwise I don't see a reason to be running around down there. (I've never played the original, so this point may be useless)

2. The ropes holding up the bridge in the center of the map should probably be much thicker than what it is now if it is to support that bridge.

3. The lighting fixtures around the base that are sparking seem a bit overdone. I would either reduce the number of fixtures that are sparking, or reduce the number of sparks from each fixture to a much much smaller number like < 1 per second or around there.

Anyways, I'm aware your not done your map and lots will change. You may already know bout the things I pointed out or you may want it that way. Whatever the case your map is coming along very nicely and again, these are just my personal opinions. GL!

(btw I dont' expect a reply to this, just hope it helps)

Last edited by o_ultramarinen02; 08-21-2006 at 07:20 PM.
o_ultramarinen02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #816
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarinen02
Hey Stino, map looks good so far. I'm sure there is lots to change and tweak and I just want to mention a few things I noticed while running around then map that may be of use to you or not. These are personal opinions and nobody has to agree, just saying thats all.

1. The lowest path on the outside leads to a room with no path into the actual base, it would be nice if it did have one. Otherwise I don't see a reason to be running around down there. (I've never played the original, so this point may be useless)

2. The ropes holding up the bridge in the center of the map should probably be much thicker than what it is now if it is to support that bridge.

3. The lighting fixtures around the base that are sparking seem a bit overdone. I would either reduce the number of fixtures that are sparking, or reduce the number of sparks from each fixture to a much much smaller number like < 1 per second or around there.

Anyways, I'm aware your not done your map and lots will change. You may already know bout the things I pointed out or you may want it that way. Whatever the case your map is coming along very nicely and again, these are just my personal opinions. GL!

(btw I dont' expect a reply to this, just hope it helps)
its still beta, i'm trying to find a way to get that lower route connected to the flagroom. and maybe you're right about that bridge , you're definatly right about the sparks , but i'm still seaching for the best flagroom.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #817
o_own3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
its still beta, i'm trying to find a way to get that lower route connected to the flagroom... but i'm still seaching for the best flagroom.
An idea has come to mind:

Old 10-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #818
o_nodnarb

that confuses me.
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #819
o_own3r

Its basically identical to the old badlands, but the flag is on a lift which has a button. That lift goes down then you can go out the exit at the bottom.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #820
o_nodnarb

personally I think badlands should stay the same. It was very well designed.
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote