Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #1
zippy
rainbow flying high

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
eat your words

Before FF was released into the community ... there were a good few ppl in IRC going around saying once TF2 was released alot of FF servers would be emty and forgotten about.

Now from what im seeing and just from my own experince it seams the tides turned... today ive come across a good few ppl slagging tf2 of and how shite it really is... i think a few ppl will loose intrest in tf2 and stick more with FF as its more of a skillfull mod.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
Kao

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
Before FF was released into the community ... there were a good few ppl in IRC going around saying once TF2 was released alot of FF servers would be emty and forgotten about.

Now from what im seeing and just from my own experince it seams the tides turned... today ive come across a good few ppl slagging tf2 of and how shite it really is... i think a few ppl will loose intrest in tf2 and stick more with FF as its more of a skillfull mod.
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=stats&

Eat your words.

I fully support FF and I love it. I have more respect for the FF devs than I've had for any devs for quite some time. For them to make such an amazing mod, and spend so much time polishing and perfecting it, is simply astounding.

But people like you who seem to desire a competition between the two piss me off. Shut up.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
zippy
rainbow flying high

go fuck yourself

Old 09-19-2007, 12:08 AM   #4
Kao

Quote:
go fuck yourself
lol, what can I say to that?

Well said, I guess.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
Mistabeen

agree with Kao
some people will prefer FF, some will prefer TF2 :/ what's the big fucking deal, they will coexist together.

you're nothing but another lowlife fanboy, just like the consolewars.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
BoltR

So what you are saying is that a game that has had a huge hype train behind it and has been advertised to death in paper publications, steam, and just generally all over the internet has more players than one that hasn't? Well shit.

The point is, TF2 didn't kill FF, and I don't think it's going to. And maybe if people got the word out more...

Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 AM   #7
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

edit: @Koa + zippy eh sticky is there that says this is a flame free forum...?

But more to the point, if you were to list the machanics that made team fortress style gaming into what's known as team fortress style gaming, you end up with more than:

1. diversity of classes
2. capture <whatever>

Because Dod, or Bf2, or <insert game> all fall under this category.

What made team fortress into team fortress has much to do with how the game physics were pushed to the limit by use of weapons, grenades, environment, whatever is available, according as the class weapons allowed, game physics allowed, map environment allowed, etc. and developed into the intricate gameplay depth such as concing, double concing, bhop, rocket/pipe jump, etc etc

Some one had mentioned this in another post, but instead of giving it the name "Team fortress 2," which suggests that it's an extention of the original team fortress style of gaming, valve could have named it something like "Valve's FPS 2" and change the skins and weapon models to something non-tf like, which would then throw off the impression of a tf type of gaming, and instead put it in the realm of "other fps."

So it seems that valve tagged on the name "team fortress 2" as a marketing ploy to sell their games. As such, if their marketing ploy backfires because it doesn't turn-out to be the team fortress type of gaming that the name suggests, then valve rightly deserves criticism from comparison by those who are familiar with the team fortress style of gamplay.

If BF2 used tfc skin models, used tfc weapon hud, and called it "New Team Fortress," they would be under the same kind of scrutiny and compared to other games that claim to have its tf gaming style.

People have already said that tf2 plays like css or dods. That's a hint that the core style of gaming that is claimed as team-fortress like, is very very weak, in terms of it's team fortress style of gameplay. Just imagine it with dod or cs skin, with dod or cs weapon hud models, and can tf2 be called dods2? or css for beginners? and still make you think, hmmm tf2 does seem more simillar to those games than tfc or tf 1.5, or its tf predecesors?

With ff, even if you were use other skins or weapons models, the gameplay has that team fortress feel to it, the rapid pace, the gren/rocket jump combo, in addition to class/weapon division/enhancement, etc which is probably what the dev team were trying to aim for.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
BobTheChainsaw

Quote:
go fuck yourself
Fuck you, man.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:40 AM   #9
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Fuck all y'all! (redundancy ahoy!)