Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 AM   #101
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Why not have a "re-release" of sorts, we build it up for a few months, patching like hell, donating VIA paypal, actually buying advertising slots on any or all popular gaming websites, then after all the major bugs are patched, the Devs re-release the game with it patched and advertised.

with 150 people we could beta test this game easily, it's obvious that the 150 constantly playing are the die hard community who really want this game to be successful. It might sound way off, but why not take all the mirrors off, quit hosting the game, take the game back to a "testing stage" of sorts, and when the luster on TF2 wares off, we advertised as mentioned above, patch like hell, then "re-release". I can see it now:

"You might have missed out the first time, that's ok, we forgive you, just don't miss out next time. Fortress Forever, a HL2 Mod, coming soon. Again."

Old 10-16-2007, 05:06 AM   #102
Mike.Gayner

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
Yeah, honestly I'm very happy with the number of people playing (and loving) FF. The fact that I have been able to hop on any number of <50 ping servers near me and see regulars (and new folks) at any time of day or night is all I really want, and its a solid base to build up from.
Nice for some - sadly, here in Australasia, there's about half a dozen servers, none of which are ever populated. It's currently 6.05pm, there are 9 servers showing up, and zero players. At about 8pm, there will probably be around 5 or 6 players.

If I remove the location filter, I get about 20 populated servers, only about 6 or 7 of which have enough players for a decent game, and none of which return a ping under 300ms.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #103
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
ff_charybda allowed people to really flex their FF concing, and I have to say: as long as FF has concing and movement, it will have something TF2 never will. TF2 was made to be mass marketable, and it achieved its goal. I know people who have never played a single Fortress game in their life, and they like TF2. It's made to be easy to play, no real skill involved.

Which is why us real men are playing FF. Just look at it that way .

First infraction! Flaming!

Old 10-16-2007, 11:30 AM   #104
yfni_

I have to agree with that, the number of people playing in europe is awful.
@ 23:00 gmt there's hardly a soul left playing (if any). I can't even remember it being that bad when TFC was already pronounced dead.

Create a new staff opening for someone to do PR/marketing because at the moment whoever is in charge of spreading the word isn't doing a good job.

And the mod was finished enough to release it when you did. It was not the bugs imo. You need to have more people trying the game, so more people will stick to it.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #105
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I wish the devs would create a sort of CD package.

Basically, an ISO that could be burned and FF would install offa the CD with an autorun. This package would also include graphics for the CD and the jewel case.

I know what you are saying... why do you need a CD for a game you can download off of the Internet? Well, something I learned in business... you get a lot more customers by interacting with them one on one than you do through impersonal blanket advertising. I have made much more money by handing out cards and talking to people rather than posting 500 flyers at a time (which I have done many times for my business... *cry*).

I attend Otakon every year. That is an anime convention that has 22,000+ anime fans, many of whom play video games. I also attend Anime Boston, which has 10,000+ anime fans (and gamers!). I would willingly take the expense of cooking up a couple hundred CDs, labels, and cases and talking to people and handing out FF to them to try out. (Of course, I would ask if they have Half Life 2 first...)

Ditto for places like arcades. Take a dozen or so CDs, hit up your local arcade, and talk to the gamers. Go for the really hardcore, compulsive type ones. Those are the kind that get into Fortress Forever lol...

That aside, we also need a really strong fan community. There has to be a site on par with custom-tfc that covers TFC, FF, and TF2. Why? There are a lot of people who have never heard of FF... you can get a lot of people coming into the game via a multi-game fansite. Granted, you will probably have the occasional "WICH GAME IS BETTAR OLOLOL" thread, but then again, we have that here and we are not a multi-game site.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:32 PM   #106
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
ff_charybda allowed people to really flex their FF concing, and I have to say: as long as FF has concing and movement, it will have something TF2 never will. TF2 was made to be mass marketable, and it achieved its goal. I know people who have never played a single Fortress game in their life, and they like TF2. It's made to be easy to play, no real skill involved.

Which is why us real men are playing FF. Just look at it that way .

That map was super fun after I figured out how to do the difficult parts. I also agree that FF has 1 up on the competition. Now all we need to wait for is the patch to fix the concing, and possibly a rj mod/quad.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #107
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
fix the concing? didnt know there was a problem?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #108
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Maybe he is referring to the timers...?

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #109
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Or the fact that concs (and all the nades & pipes) after hiting a wall/floor lose too much speed.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #110
Aska

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I personally can't get enough of FF... but, there is something about TF2 that keeps me coming back. I don't know why, it's just FUN, it's really really FUN. But, when it comes down to it, if I had to choose TF2 or FF for the only TF game I could play, it would be FF.

I try to get people to come over, but they are much to dazzled by VALVe's TF2. I still play FF every day. But the same goes for TF2, I love aspects of both. I still support this mod and wish it had more advertising than just the community. If you can make that happen it would really help generate more players.

Onto maps, TF2's maps are actually pretty well made, I just wish that they wouldn't stray the focus from flag capture... they even changed the flag on 2fort into intellengence... what was the point of that? They also got rid of one of my favorite maps, PUSH. I love you guys for bringing it back and it is a hell of a lot of fun on FF.

So cheers, and see you in FF.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #111
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

seriously though folks... if I were a moderator on this forum, all of these "ff is dead" threads would either be merged into one singular thread or I would delete them all. "talking" about this mod being "close to the death brink" surely is bringing in the bad karma.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #112
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
you're right... merged!

Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #113
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
fix the concing? didnt know there was a problem?
Not sure if I read it in a dev journal, but someone knows about it, and looks like they're working to fix it. *pulls out ULTRA THRED SERCH TOOL 2000*

Soz, can't find it, ugh...
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 10-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #114
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
Not sure if I read it in a dev journal, but someone knows about it, and looks like they're working to fix it. *pulls out ULTRA THRED SERCH TOOL 2000*

Soz, can't find it, ugh...
Maybe instead of finding the post where it is described, state the problem again. I also am unaware of the "problem with concs."

Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 AM   #115
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
been too busy with school to play.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:20 AM   #116
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabeggar
Why not have a "re-release" of sorts, we build it up for a few months, patching like hell, donating VIA paypal, actually buying advertising slots on any or all popular gaming websites, then after all the major bugs are patched, the Devs re-release the game with it patched and advertised.

with 150 people we could beta test this game easily, it's obvious that the 150 constantly playing are the die hard community who really want this game to be successful. It might sound way off, but why not take all the mirrors off, quit hosting the game, take the game back to a "testing stage" of sorts, and when the luster on TF2 wares off, we advertised as mentioned above, patch like hell, then "re-release". I can see it now:

"You might have missed out the first time, that's ok, we forgive you, just don't miss out next time. Fortress Forever, a HL2 Mod, coming soon. Again."
This is a good idea i think.

Even though Christmas break is a little over 2 mo away, it creeps up pretty fast. If we can get FF prepared for christmas break and start mass advertising , like the 1~2 weeks right before christmas break, people might download it to play it during the break. If most bugs are fixed and some of the gameplay tweaks are implimented/improved by breaktime, i think it might give a better 1st time impression for newcomers, and a good 2nd impression for those who might have been put off by wall-sg buliding, slant view bug, long hunted load time, ff_well spawn spamming, etc.

If the ISO/cd installer ever becomes available, i'll also spend some cash to burn them on empty cds and put like a stack of 100 of them in the local movies/arcade/pc cafes/computer stores, for people to grab it for free.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:41 AM   #117
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Maybe instead of finding the post where it is described, state the problem again. I also am unaware of the "problem with concs."
The problem with concs, or any grenade in FF, is that when the grenade bounces off a wall, even just 1 time, and even if you are almost parallel to the wall, it substantially slows it down. In TFC, however, you could throw one down, it'd bounce off the wall and it'd go the same speed until gravity caught up with it... It's kinda hard to explain, I'll try to make a vid in comparison.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 10-17-2007, 05:10 AM   #118
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfni_
You need to have more people trying the game, so more people will stick to it.
perhaps they should own a multi-million dollar company and spam the shit out of everybody with gay steam pop-ups with a big gay fat guy grining like an ass every time somebody does something , while paying shit loads of money to reviewers to spread the word about tf2, while targeting the mass- lil' 7 year olds that dont have to work 8+ hour jobs that have nothing better to do at the end of the day except play video games.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #119
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
The problem with concs, or any grenade in FF, is that when the grenade bounces off a wall, even just 1 time, and even if you are almost parallel to the wall, it substantially slows it down. In TFC, however, you could throw one down, it'd bounce off the wall and it'd go the same speed until gravity caught up with it... It's kinda hard to explain, I'll try to make a vid in comparison.
Yeah, I know what you are talking about now. Next time though, instead of saying, "the problem with concs," say, "the wall-friction problem with concs/nades." That way people know what you are talking about. And as for it being worked on: I don't know. Last I read (I think) it was due to the source engine. If it's a big problem, it'll surely get sorted.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:17 AM   #120
tN|hinrg
The Twisted Network

Affiliations: tN
I'm a part of The Twisted Network (www.thetwistednetwork.net) which hosts the #1 TFC server in the world and is probably the largest remaining TFC community out there. We were all VERY excited for FF as well as TF2 and couldn't wait for it's release. We even created a section in our forums devoted to FF for those who were interested in hyping up the game. When FF came out we went ahead and launched a server (208.100.45.153:27015) with our Twisted name on it. The problem we seem to be facing is that too many of our registered members are having computer issues and are unable to run the game due to having older comps. Believe me, we have tried to hype it up and want to see our server do well. It's actually ranked #13 in the world according to Game Monitor right now, but it's statistics are fairly sad so far in that it is only averaging a little over 3 players at a time. A couple weeks ago, all it would take is 2 to 3 of us getting in and playing and then the server would fill up within 15-20 minutes. Now, even though we try, we maybe get a couple people and that's it.
My thought is this. Try to push FF through the new Orange Box Gift program. That's what I've been trying to get people to do now. Gift their HL2 to someone with a big plug for FF, in the hopes that they will download it because it is FREE! But other than that, I just don't know what else can be done. I constantly look at the stats and see about 13,000 playing TF2, 550 playing TFC, and maybe 150 playing FF.

Closed Thread