Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
Abjure
Follower of the Occult

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
FF in Games For Windows (formerly known as Computer Gaming World)

So FF got an article (not a review or anything but kind of a two page mention) in the latest Games For Windows magazine. I don't have a scanner here or the magazine with me for that matter but tomorrow I'll try to scan it at work. Just wondering if anyone else saw it?

Edit: <-- sort of a preview from 1up's site.)
Abjure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 AM   #2
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
Wow... CGW is called "Games for Windows"???

Old 11-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #3
groovyf
In the clouds

Sounds like a Microsoft ploy!
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyf
Sounds like a Microsoft ploy!
Thats because it is. I'm pretty sure Microsoft bought them out.
Pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 02:47 AM   #5
RocKwell
Regular or Menthol?

Affiliations: :e0: .o`
I have this issue and read the three page article (it's near the back). They kind of trash the mod, here are some quotes:

"In Team Fortress Classic, the Spy was a class that required finesse and know-how; in FF, it's an invisible nuisance machine for melee-minded twits who think a knife to the back is the epitome of skill"

"Some of Fortress Forever's tweaks on TFC's formula are god-awful, however well-intentioned."

"FF is the perfect partner for Team Fortress 2, and for that I'm thankful. When we want hyperactive trick jumping and tradition, there's the one; when we want the future, there's the other."

They also devoted a whole page into talking how to clear out a server during a game of push by hoarding the ball, and also had to mention how annoying a medic's infections were. Exposure is exposure, I guess, but they really didn't give FF a chance.
RocKwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 AM   #6
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Hmmm...was there a bribe we forgot to send in?
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 04:31 AM   #7
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Hmmm...was there a bribe we forgot to send in?
Yes... but it's never too late.

Check PM for my Paypal info.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKwell
I have this issue and read the three page article (it's near the back). They kind of trash the mod, here are some quotes:

"In Team Fortress Classic, the Spy was a class that required finesse and know-how; in FF, it's an invisible nuisance machine for melee-minded twits who think a knife to the back is the epitome of skill"

"Some of Fortress Forever's tweaks on TFC's formula are god-awful, however well-intentioned."

"FF is the perfect partner for Team Fortress 2, and for that I'm thankful. When we want hyperactive trick jumping and tradition, there's the one; when we want the future, there's the other."

They also devoted a whole page into talking how to clear out a server during a game of push by hoarding the ball, and also had to mention how annoying a medic's infections were. Exposure is exposure, I guess, but they really didn't give FF a chance.
some of those seem a little below the belt..

Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
Abjure
Follower of the Occult

Yeah a lot of what they said wasn't exactly fair... Although I don't know how much of it was actually serious I couldn't tell.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKwell
The anger sharks are swimming in my head.

I'm sick of the future. All I hear about is the fucking future...the better, the could be, the optimized...we move away from the present like it's already fucking yesterday...THIS IS WHY PEOPLE HAVE SUCH SHORT GOD DAMNED ATTENTION SPANS! Because of people like this wanker, nobody will ever respect gamers.

But here we are, a tiny community of honest gamers. We may not get respect, but at least we're respectable, damn it.

-Joker
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
some of those seem a little below the belt..
indeed, they were a kick in the crotch. when FF becomes a standard of tf type mods, I hope someone does a counter-article labeled "How tunnel vision causes brain damage."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Joker
I'm sick of the future. All I hear about is the fucking future...the better, the could be, the optimized...we move away from the present like it's already fucking yesterday...THIS IS WHY PEOPLE HAVE SUCH SHORT GOD DAMNED ATTENTION SPANS!
That "future" thing is something i learned in pyschology class. It's the power of suggestion. "The future" is an embedded/loaded term, meaning that it's loaded with implications of something that can be good/improved/better/etc than present, even if its not the case. What matters is not that it's true/false, but that the general feeling someone gets from the term supercedes the notion of true/false. Because then opinions can be formed without factual information, but instead on an emotional/sentimental level.

To make a long story short, it's an indirect ad for TF2 by comparing it to a similar model, but using a strawman to knock the other down, while using loaded terms to appeal to the sentiments of those being advertised to. Yea...
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #12
yfni_

Feel free to send some spam to their mail address:

feedback@1UP.com

bastards :/
yfni_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
RocKwell
Regular or Menthol?

Affiliations: :e0: .o`
I had to laugh when I read about the spy. Have they ever tried capturing the flag in TFC against a standard organized defense with the spy? In FF, the spy requires just as much if not more skill than any other class IMO.
RocKwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #14
Abjure
Follower of the Occult

I was busy today at work and I couldn't get some scans, I'll attempt it tomorrow!

Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
Zatoichi

thx yfni_, i sent my rant in.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 02:56 AM   #16
Surrealistik

Quote:
Lol. That comment in and of itself epitomizes the ignorance of the author, and discredits nearly everything he has to say regarding FFs gameplay. I'd wonder if he has ever attempted to use the Spy against a competent and organized team if the answer weren't already so completely self-evident. Unfortunately, as ludicrous as his opinons are, they get a lot more exposure, and feature far more influence than our own.
Surrealistik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 03:22 AM   #17
Zatoichi

i have a feeling he got pwned by spies and it hurt his ego, or maybe he just got his ass kicked all together, and needs to feel superior and write a crap review.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 03:27 AM   #18
leilei
o^_^o

Class/Position: O
Gametype: CTF
yeah I don't like GFW either, they called my game "looks like ass " once. and then dropped it and moved on >=( plus I never liked post-2000 CGW when Jeff Green acted all high and mighty putting his lame dead-horse Daikatana jokes all over each issue as a filler.
leilei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 05:07 AM   #19
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Which game leilei?

Old 11-02-2007, 05:12 AM   #20
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman MM
Wow... CGW is called "Games for Windows"???
I think they started running short on articles about games for macs...