Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Yoshi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
My Team Fortress Story

Hi guys! :P

When I was younger, I was a huge TFC fan, and I'd play it everyday. That was when it was actually fun and active.

-- but over the years, I've lost a lot of interest in the actual game play. I did keep coming back to the game, but it had nothing to do with fragging. Unfortunately, I was more into conc maps. Don't take it the wrong way -- there's nothing wrong with concing (in fact I love concing), but it goes to show that the game itself died out (at least for me), and that's where all the good memories lie.

Now, I must admit, when I heard about TF2, I was pretty pumped. However, I did not forget about Fortress Forever. I guess the Dustbowl Valley video was really interesting. But TF2 overshadowed over FF because 1) It was "official" and 2) FF took REALLY long to release.

Team Fortress 2 really had a cool theme going on, and I must admit, I was digging it. I guess I was expecting the same Team Fortress with a new style. It turned out I was wrong.

Here are some of the disappointments I had with it:

1) Sniper - In the regular TFC, I'd always charge up the laser when I'm not scoped in, but apparently you HAD to zoom in to charge up. Ok, maybe this is a little issue, but it's hard for me to adjust Call me crazy, but I liked playing some offense with the sniper. I'd go in no-scope (no, not counter-strike) and hopefully kill someone with a fully charged up sniper rifle. If not, I'd just AR / nade them to death if I were still alive :P

2) No Grenades! What! Grenades were so effective and useful in TFC, but now they're gone! Some may argue that this is a good thing because it's no longer a spam fest and the classes become more unique and good for a specific role. This is true, but it definitely changes the style of play that TFC had. They also forgot about the concing crowd :\

Surely, these are debatable but this is just the way I feel. Team Fortress 2 was a huge let down for me. I'm sorry if I come off as a TF2 basher. To long-time lovers of TFC like me, it feels like I can't automatically go to a game like TF2, to deal and adapt to some key changes.

Onto Fortress Forever..

Normally, I dislike a lot of source mods. Not a lot of time and effort were put into them. The only source mod I really enjoyed was Garry's Mod, but it got boring for me over time. I guess it's only fun when your friends are in the server, in which case you can mess with them (build traps). So yeah, Garry's Mod was the only good source mod worth downloading (and I've tried lots).

Then came Fortress Forever. I'm one of those kind of guys that waits until a game is more stable (as in, more than one patch release) before I play it. But being the curious guy I am, I got off WoW and decided to play Fortress Forever. I can HONESTLY tell you that I loved every minute of it. I started playing classes I usually don't play and enjoy them. In TFC, I'd have negative thoughts about the pyro being too weak -- but in FF, I was instantly hooked. So far I've loved playing the pyro, sniper, soldier and medic. I have yet to try out the other classes, but hope on doing so after I get some sleep.

I also loved the fact that this didn't come off as a TFC: Source. Lots of neat changes, updates and such (I'm a little obsessed with the crosshair). Getting rid of the infection spreading was a good thing (think about your teammates on TFC in your spawn).

I know I sound like I'm praising the game but I do believe there are some things that need to be addressed. Such as creating/adding maps like 2fort, rock2 (<3), avanti and others I'm forgetting. Also, having spraypaints (if it hasn't been fixed) But here's something important worth mentioning - We're able to exchange words with the developers to discuss issues, bugs and such. It's really a big advantage for us.

Hopefully this mod will be shown in a future steam update so we can get some more players to make this a much stronger mod!
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Hopefully this mod will be shown in a future steam update so we can get some more players to make this a much stronger mod!
i seriously doupt steam would pimp ff due to a conflict of intrest.. as a fellow tf/tfc gamer i did pritty much as you did, plaied for a long time with lots of fun, still waiting on rock2 <3 and a un-nerf of the hw.. i tell people that tf/tfc/ff is like my football.. and i think that tf2 cant hold up to that because of many things they changed with gameplay..
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
GhOsT

Last I read on these forums by one of the devs was that Valve was open to doing a news item for FF but the team was waiting for the patch to come out to do it.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
barronofhellion

im thinking that announcement will be in size 4 font, and in a matching color to the users browser , after you scroll about 10 pages of tf2 crap and under the relentless 3rd party game bs spam ... in other words , yes 1 announcement vs the 10x of other bs every day about tf2 really wont drive much..

Old 11-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barronofhellion
im thinking that announcement will be in size 4 font, and in a matching color to the users browser , after you scroll about 10 pages of tf2 crap and under the relentless 3rd party game bs spam ... in other words , yes 1 announcement vs the 10x of other bs every day about tf2 really wont drive much..
LOL
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
GhOsT

I'm not sure why people on these boards have the impression that there is this epic battle between Valve and the FF devs. As the devs have said many times, Valve has been supportive of this mod. They could've easily shut it down if they wanted to but why would they do that and piss off some of their user base? People developing/playing mods on their game engine means more exposure for their game engine. Plus you still need to buy a Valve product to play this game.

Also, of course Valve is going to post a lot of announcements regarding TF2. It's their game/engine/delivery platform. It's their source of revenue. They are constantly releasing updates for it. Course, they are also paid to do that.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
You scum

What a stinkin' TF2 basher.......how do you sleep?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
TF2. It's their game/engine/delivery platform. It's their source of revenue. They are constantly releasing updates for it. Course, they are also paid to do that.
they must be paid by me opening steam and geting smacked everyday with bs about tf2 and other 3rd party games... if so they dont need any more money because they are more wealthy then bill gates at this point..

Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Last I read on these forums by one of the devs was that Valve was open to doing a news item for FF but the team was waiting for the patch to come out to do it.

ARTICLE OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #10
GhOsT

Here ya go. http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...eam#post284793

These kinda relate to this as well.
http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ght=steam+news
http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...eam#post276240

Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
Focksbot
Ambassador of Everything.

Send a message via AIM to Focksbot
I hate TF2. I started an arguement on their forums about the grenades, and I won it. I gave them so many examples as to how to keep it unique but still include those beatuies, of course they do that droning chant "JUSSSSSTTT WAAAIIITTT ANNNNDDDD TRYYYYY ITTTTTT". No contest. 5 guys kept emphasizing that without the grenades there would be less spam and more unique, I fought back with grenades being even more unique and not necessarily just exploding, not being able to cook the grenade, grenades being disarmed after the user holding it dies, and it being a weapon you have to switch to.

I TRIIIIEEEDD it. Only good thing? Well, the demoman barely. And the scout's shotgun.
Focksbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #12
Hype
Don't believe the hype
D&A Member

Class/Position: Both
Gametype: CTF
Send a message via MSN to Hype

Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 AM   #13
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focksbot
I hate TF2. I started an arguement on their forums about the grenades, and I won it. I gave them so many examples as to how to keep it unique but still include those beatuies, of course they do that droning chant "JUSSSSSTTT WAAAIIITTT ANNNNDDDD TRYYYYY ITTTTTT". No contest. 5 guys kept emphasizing that without the grenades there would be less spam and more unique, I fought back with grenades being even more unique and not necessarily just exploding, not being able to cook the grenade, grenades being disarmed after the user holding it dies, and it being a weapon you have to switch to.

I TRIIIIEEEDD it. Only good thing? Well, the demoman barely. And the scout's shotgun.
Yea you won it! Go Team. Hooray for winning an internet argument! Next stop telling to toilet your tired of putting up with his shit.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 04:15 AM   #14
GhOsT

Quote:

Maybe you don't like how TF2 is, but there are thousands of people playing it constantly that do like it.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #15
Focksbot

Quote:
Maybe you don't like how TF2 is, but there are thousands of people playing it constantly that do like it.
Well I'm glad at least some of the conc veterans if any are here. The others were probably skeptical and got hooked anyway, but I didn't get that reaction. I'm sure there's many others with the same reaction.

And I know it's not amazing that I won an internet arguement, it's common sense that it doesn't mean anything in life. But it shows that taking out grenades was a major mistake that killed off some of the people that waited years for the second game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hype
[img]jpg[/img]
Took time out of your life to find an image just for me? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE MCFATTY FAT FAT.
And you, I'm shocked that you'd actually contribute. Can you remind me why you always spend hours analyzing and rating things on a video game, such as grenade physics? Pfft, at least I go outside and test things there instead of on a virtual representation of it.

Last edited by Focksbot; 11-12-2007 at 07:32 AM.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #16
Cosides

U tested nades irl ???

WOHAOOOOO !!
Cosides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

No, common sense dictates that an internet discussion can never be won, both sides lose. And a forum post with a handful of people replying proves nothing regarding the game play with or without grenades.
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #18
Doompiggy
Banned

Quote:
But it shows that taking out grenades was a major mistake that killed off some of the people that waited years for the second game.
It was? I'm sure EVERY TFC vet that found out it didn't have nades said "What?! NO NADES??!!!! Fuck this game."

Remember people, just because you're on the forums for FF doesn't mean you have to worship and praise FF. Most of you people probobly haven't played TF2 so you just bash and flame it cause it's not a direct port of TFC or it doesn't have grenades. Fuck, I bashed it for not having grenades, haveing cartoon-ish textures and no bunnyhopping, but I installed the beta and played a bit, wasn't too impressed, but it was a beta. Final release came and I gave it another chance, started as solly and my first kill was an airshot and when those guts flew, it felt good. So, don't bash TF2 because it doesn't have nades, bash it because you think it sucks(play it first), not because you're on the FF forums.
Doompiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #19
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke~!
Rant! Rant! Rant! Rant!
So, don't bash TF2 because it doesn't have nades, bash it because you think it sucks(play it first), not because you're on the FF forums.
By no means intending to disrespect, but this does not need pointing out. Any game with a loyal community will be cursed by a group of agressive fans, usually in their lower teens and incapable of argumenting their sake.

And some fans have played TF2 and will give you a detailed report of how much it SUCKZ, how nooby and dumbed downed it is, what an evil corporation Valve etc. These are actually the worst kind as their posts are often quite long, filled with drivel, swearing and so much anger you're thinking 'this kid must be on fucking crack'. Then you realise it's just another teenager feeling high and mighty behind his monitor.
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #20
Focksbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosides
U tested nades irl ???

WOHAOOOOO !!
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/902834...a_bottle_bomb/
Yes, sort of.

And no, I don't worship FF. I just think it kicks ass, and I play it for a couple hours a day and laugh at people flying in the air from my pipegrenades.