Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #21
Sabre
Creg

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilIguana966
As far as I can tell, "League Rules" are a crutch for players who lack imagination or adaptability. They basically say "every game should be exactly the same. I should expect exactly the same number of exactly the same classes in exactly the same place every time.". If you run a server this way you lose at life. If you can't handle being killed by a soldier in the yard because you expected him in the flagroom you need to practice more and learn to adapt.

TF is a great game because it gives players options. Rather than one class you have 9. Rather than having to go to the same place to grab the rocket launcher and quad damage every time you can go vary your approach. Rather than having one singular way to score points you have many. If you like to defend you can do that. If you like to run like a cheetah past the enemy you can do that too. If you want to set off an explosive under your feet launching you a quarter mile across the map to land on a sniper's head then shoot him in the face with a shotgun, TF can accommodate. If you can't handle people who don't play the same way as you, this probably isn't your game.

The problem with servers that set arbitrary rules is that they can discourage new players. Say I'm new to the game. I join a server, spawn as a soldier, then go out the front door and kill an enemy coming to the base. I then get told "League Rules, No Yard D". Confused, I kill another guy, and then get booted. Maybe I join another server, and get the same thing. I now write off this game as a community of elitist twits and go play something else.

If I were the FF devs, I would force server operators to sign an agreement that limits that type of garbage to private locked games. Server operators are the community's ambassadors. Their conduct can shine poorly on the rest of the community and the mod itself.
Biggest load of bullshit i have ever heard in my life, if you take away organised clan style servers you take away half of the community. It only takes a minute to read the rules of the server you are about to play on, if you don't like the rules of that server there are many more with different rules. You are no better than the elitists you refer to who beleive all public play should be organised in a clan style. If someone pays for a server they can run it exactly how they want, as if the devs can dictate how the servers should be ran , thank god you aren't a dev is all i have to say! This has been said a million times but i'm gonna say it again just for you, TFC lasted for years catering for both types of player with both types of public server, why can't FF? And yes please keep coming with the clan style servers i'd like to try a few out.

Last edited by Sabre; 09-16-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #22
Byte

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Sigh..

I'll say this once and once only.

There are 95% roughly more public servers which allow, deathmatching public game play any class allowed basically anything and everything except hacks and tk's (assuming ff is on).

Right the server name has "Clan-style" in it, which means it has to follow the offence/defence vs offence/defence pattern as for how u defend, up to you where you want to defend (as long as it is in your base) is fine. It is a different kind of gameplay.

But when people come onto these forums and start bitching, abusing and just being inconsiderate about the effort, money and time that have been put to set these servers up, is quite low :/

There are over 300-400 public servers which allow you to play as freely as you wish. Its not open for debate, this server offers clan style game play for those who enjoy and want clan style. Whether you like it or not is up to you its also your choice if you want to come and play on there. You might wanna try out public servers first before playing clan style. If you prefer AvD then go play on a AvD, im a AvD player yet ive provided a server for clan style.

When new players get abused i cant do much about it, i can however give them my help and support as to how it works, atm im developing a website explaining how clan style works. Also the rules are always explained by admins.

Bottom line is if you dont like how clan style rules work then don't play on this server? I don't see why all FF servers should just be public death matching do what you like game play.

As im not a total ass, and quite open minded we have 2 servers now. One for clan style one for public game play.

195.170.173.170:27055 Fortress Smackdown | Clan Style Game Play - FF Community

195.170.173.12:27035 Fortress Smackdown #2 | Public Game Play - FF Community

Got any questions or queries? find me on #ffsmackdown and we can talk on vent and discuss. The website will be up very soon for those who would like to know what clan style is.

Thanks

Byte *sigh*

Old 09-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #23
Sureshot
Winner

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilIguana966
As far as I can tell, "League Rules" are a crutch for players who lack imagination or adaptability. They basically say "every game should be exactly the same. I should expect exactly the same number of exactly the same classes in exactly the same place every time.". If you run a server this way you lose at life. If you can't handle being killed by a soldier in the yard because you expected him in the flagroom you need to practice more and learn to adapt.
On flipside, does this mean you also lack imagination or adaptability because you can't understand the real reason behind the implementation of clanstyle rules, or are unable to play in this style? Last time I checked, being able to run into midfield, then DMing and spamming everyone else didn't require much adapting to.

You can look at real-world sports with regard to positional play (yes, I realise I do these comparisons a lot). In football, you have formations for example. In a 4-4-2, you will have 2 attackers, 4 midfield, 4 defenders and the goalie. If you like, you could change to a 5-3-2, 4-5-1, or another formation as you wish (much as TF clans may change their formation if more caps are required). This does not suddenly make football a predictable sport, nor are formations there because players are unable to adapt. It's because more organised and structured play is able to take place, therefore making it more interesting to watch (and play, I guess!). You don't have all 22 players all rushing to the centre circle once the game kicks off, do you?

I don't get why people seem to think that clanstyle rules are either put in place to make the game easier, or to give people who use them the upper hand. Most clanstyle rules are enforced to make the game more organised and fun in a competitive manner. The game is primarily about capturing flags, and unfortunately the vanilla design of most CTF maps do not allow for this in a natural manner. If maps were 1-flag CTF, there would be much less need for them, although in general I don't think 1-flag maps are as fun.

Also, if both teams are adhering to these rules, how can either one be benefiting over the other?

I enjoy playing on regular public servers as well as ones which operate under a clanstyle environment, but I do feel that while not everybody knows what clanstyle rules entail or enjoy playing with them, clanstyle servers should be passworded.

Last edited by Sureshot; 09-21-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote