Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #21
o_nezumi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Seconded.

But I'm holding out for the dustbowl sand and rock.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #22
o_shortcircuit

looks like enclave
o_shortcircuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #23
o_stino

donny, maybe you can have some sort of transport trough your map like vehicles or a little train? i found a way to get realistic train wagons moving on a rail, but it depends on the netcode from ff how it will behave in multiplayer, if i try it in css, it's shocky like hell when you stand on it, but i don't seem to have problems with that in hl2dm.

anyway short wagons, 4 wheeled, no bogies, are cheaper than long wagons, 8 wheeled, 2 bogies is a little heavier for the physics.
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #24
o_donny

Few years back I'd have liked to make map with train going trough the map but I dont like to import one in this map. It would ruin it
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #25
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Few years back I'd have liked to make map with train going trough the map but I dont like to import one in this map. It would ruin it
i don't know your map , but if it whould become to big, you could use transport or teleports or jumppads( donno if this is possble ) to get to the other site of the map

Old 06-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #26
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
i don't know your map , but if it whould become to big, you could use transport or teleports or jumppads( donno if this is possble ) to get to the other site of the map
That would be cheat.
Have you even played warpath? This map is like that, you dont have to walk from red HQ to blue HQ if you have points 2, 3 or 4 capped (when 5 you win and everything starts all over)

Old 06-02-2006, 06:07 AM   #27
o_stino

like i said, i don't know how your map is, but if you look at that overview, the map looks bigger than warpath :s

Old 06-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #28
o_donny

Quote:
like i said, i don't know how your map is, but if you look at that overview, the map looks bigger than warpath :s
Well this could be bit longer than warpath but warpath didnt need any teleports or trains

Old 06-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #29
o_dark applepolisher

I like the way this map looks. Just be careful on how you make cap 3 work out; it's what will make or break the map. You don't want a half-skilled soldier and/or fattie in there to be able to stop 'everything' that goes through there. Maybe leave some room for some nice conc jumps in there?

Another neat possibility for this map would be to be able to bypass the interior of the factory and walk straight from cap4 to cap2.
o_dark applepolisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #30
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Applepolisher
I like the way this map looks. Just be careful on how you make cap 3 work out; it's what will make or break the map. You don't want a half-skilled soldier and/or fattie in there to be able to stop 'everything' that goes through there. Maybe leave some room for some nice conc jumps in there?

Another neat possibility for this map would be to be able to bypass the interior of the factory and walk straight from cap4 to cap2.
I havent really planned out the 3rd cap so good. I just thought of it as inner cap of somekind, factory or warehouse or something completely diffrent. That will be the thinking of that time but I'll defindedly try not to fuck up the whole map by that.
EDIT: Drunken monkey typo edit.

Last edited by o_donny; 06-04-2006 at 05:54 AM.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:47 AM   #31
o_nezumi

I really think that several organised players should be able to maintain controll of point 3. With point 3 so exposed in warpath it made controll fluctuate back and forth too quickly, which made the map a bit frustrating. If cap 3 can actually be held down by a team (although, haha, of course hopefully not just by 1 or 2 well placed hws/sgs) I think it'd make gameplay move a lot more smoothly...
... so, er, make it so you can hold cap3 if you get some people together.

I also think it'd be cool to have a shortcut from 2 to 4. It'd make it so people can attack 3 from both sides

Old 06-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #32
o_donny

Like with alternative ways to get in? (3rd cap had 3 ways on warpath)
Edit: Oh right this was what you meant

I'll think of something.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #33
o_donny

UPDATE #1 04.06.2006 (dd.mm.yyyy)
Note: Textures aint final. Brushes you will see arent completely final!
This computer cant run with every whistle on, so the map doesnt look so good on that side

This is the red spawn. I'll wait for the FF offical and proper team textures so dont ask or menton it. And I know about the light bug there, and Im fixing it Oh and I dont like the skybox either.

EDIT: And Donny was mightier than the light bug!
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3...ren00027uo.jpg

Last edited by o_donny; 06-04-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #34
o_sh4x

ish..

We can't really see much in the screenshots... but it doesn't look good sorry :\

Now for the constructive part:

You should build displacements all in 1 peice as much as you can, and use the same dimensions of brushes so that when you turn your your brushes into displacements, the little rectagular shapes meet togheter.

Also, it looks like your displacements are way too high for nothing. It blocks the sun too much or something.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #35
o_darksoul

even if they're just wip shots, for the love of god, aa.
o_darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #36
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
ish..

We can't really see much in the screenshots... but it doesn't look good sorry :\

Now for the constructive part:

You should build displacements all in 1 peice as much as you can, and use the same dimensions of brushes so that when you turn your your brushes into displacements, the little rectagular shapes meet togheter.

Also, it looks like your displacements are way too high for nothing. It blocks the sun too much or something.
You cant see much because there aint much to show. It's like 4% done in that shot.
And I wanted to give this map that feeling that the rocks are blocking the sun. Stealth type classes could have bit more cover in the shadows and it wouldnt look like happy happy sunny land. This is the feel I want to create and I will create.
And Btw, if the walls wouldnt be up high you could see the other area from there and outside, conc users would be pretty much screwd.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #37
o_nezumi

I can't quite tell from your screenshot, but make sure that the tops of your cliffs aren't all the same height. Make them lumpy or jagged or whatever.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #38
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
UPDATE #1 04.06.2006 (dd.mm.yyyy)
Note: Textures aint final. Brushes you will see arent completely final!
This computer cant run with every whistle on, so the map doesnt look so good on that side

This is the red spawn. I'll wait for the FF offical and proper team textures so dont ask or menton it. And I know about the light bug there, and Im fixing it Oh and I dont like the skybox either.

EDIT: And Donny was mightier than the light bug!
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3...ren00027uo.jpg
yeah, that light bug, i'ts kind of different than mine, i suppose your floor is brush based ,it's sertenly not sewed with the displacements , but my bug is a little harder, it happens between 2 displacements who are sewed together (every time i sew again, it appears at different locations

Last edited by o_stino; 06-05-2006 at 04:05 PM.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #39
o_donny

Quote:
yeah, that light bug, i'ts kind of different than mine, i suppose your floor is brush based ,it's sertenly not sewed with the displacements , but my bug is a little harder, it happens between 2 displacements who are sewed together (every time i sew again, it appears at different locations
It's displacement but it's not sewed
Well I dont have that bug (yet ) so I dont know how to 'fix' it. :P
Anyways I have terrible soummer job now and Im pretty fucking tired when I come home so I may not be working on this map in this or next week.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #40
o_ambex

Donny you have started on a new map? What happened with ff rust you were working on..
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote