Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
You're the most sensible person I've seen around these forums for a while, squeek
Thanks friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
I've been trying to think of ways to do just that for a while now, and best idea I have so far is tutorial videos teaching players the basic skills for each class, and then showing ppl how cool and unique the game is once you master that class. This would certainly help get newish players who have already found FF get into it much more and learn what the game has to offer, but the problem is it doesn't get anyone new into FF. What do ppl think?

More good and varied maps is another thing FF needs ofc, but that will happen given time. It may just be a case of waiting while this happens and FF gets tweaked and debugged, and then the player numbers will rise. Anyone who has map ideas, open up hammer and get creative!
I had really hoped the 'training mode' would ship on first release. I think that the lack of any type of real hands-on tutorial hurt the chances FF had of really capturing new players. I say, once the training mode is implemented, the whole community, along with the dev team, needs start a REAL marketing campaign... somehow.

Also, we need skill videos. That's what got me into really learning TFC. But, that should come later. After the training mode. And once the community finds out how to best play FF (league rules are sorted, classes are balanced, etc.)

Old 09-28-2007, 02:16 AM   #42
shadow
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I find the content of FF's promotional videos to be quite disappointing. Gameplay videos are not the type of thing you should use to get people into this mod.

Why did I play TFC?
LD2 and Trent's "Team Fortress Classic" were a big part of the decision (yes, I know I'm fairly new to TFC). Seeing the available skillset and drove me to work towards playing and competing in a similar manner. The depth of this game is something to be proud of and should be exemplified in any proposed marketing strategy.

The videos accompanying the initial release are nothing special to an outsider. Did you see anything particularly remarkable about this mod other than the fact that it looks pretty good? Where is the concing, the crazy spy stabs and airshots? That's the kind of thing that should be focused on imo. And please, in third person!

Old 09-28-2007, 02:21 AM   #43
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
The videos accompanying the initial release are nothing special to an outsider. Did you see anything particularly remarkable about this mod other than the fact that it looks pretty good? Where is the concing, the crazy spy stabs and airshots? That's the kind of thing that should be focused on imo.
Not to rain on your parade, but the dev team/beta testers did release a nice skill video, "Stayin' Alive." It got a very poor reaction from the general public. It was a smart thing to release generic gameplay videos on release, as there was nothing in the game, except the community, that could teach such skills. (see my post above)

Old 09-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #44
EyePoke

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
TEAM FORTRESS NEVER DIE!!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 04:28 AM   #45
shadow
Retired FF Staff

I'm talking about something with a little more action though, let's see some amazing offense runs and some defense clips. Of course, using only potw style clips would be ill-advised, but I don't think skill or unedited gameplay videos are the way to go when you're trying to impress someone who's never played before.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:24 AM   #46
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
I'm talking about something with a little more action though, let's see some amazing offense runs and some defense clips. Of course, using only potw style clips would be ill-advised, but I don't think skill or unedited gameplay videos are the way to go when you're trying to impress someone who's never played before.
It seems like those videos have to come from the community, which they will in due time. As I said, first things first: training mode. I really do think it is essential for the mods future success. Really hope it is what I am expecting it to be.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:05 AM   #47
benjpac

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
A training mode would definitely draw in new players, but I still think more changes need to be made to draw interest from TFC veterans (who currently play TF2). I think adding/removing certain classes would be interesting. Also, like squeek mentioned, more distinct maps with unique objectives.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #48
Beavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjpac
I think adding/removing certain classes would be interesting.
You can't change classes - that ruins the whole point of this mod, but original maps sounds like a very good idea. Unique objectives that even let the dumbest of pubbers know what FF is about - a lot still think the idea of FF is to deathmatch.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #49
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Capture the boat (CTB) is a unique objective! I'm still waiting for some ff_aardvark_BATTLESHIPS servers tho lol... So many empty FF servers out there atm, surely someone can turn one in to a "fun" maps only server pls? There are also some other v fun looking maps being made atm that I'm rly looking forward to, and which could also go on the fun server rotation

Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #50
EngeeMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owoc
Is Insurgency dead in your opinion?
Yeah, pretty much. I was pretty lol at a recent post on PHL using the word "popular" to describe Insurgency. As of right now, FF is being topped by Insurgency, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy

No.

Scuzzy
Que es unique connections by server and where did you get that number?

Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #51
ajniN

Player numbers continue to lower.

The green shows player count by date, red shows potential slot capcity by all FF servers.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #52
n3m
BT King ^^

If theres ANY justice in the world this mod will do very well.

If not then I just hope the devs can take pride in their work and be satisfied with the outcome.

Cdotter go die in a fucking fire pls thanks.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #53
paranoidkirb

Class/Position: O/D Pyro
Gametype: Invade and Defend
Send a message via AIM to paranoidkirb Send a message via MSN to paranoidkirb Send a message via Yahoo to paranoidkirb Send a message via Skype™ to paranoidkirb
Training mode would be great, though I think you need to implement Achievements. LOL.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #54
Teh Hwoling Manz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Teh Hwoling Manz
In retrospect, I think we should have held the release until after TF2's hype was finished. In the meantime some of the remaining minor bugs could have been fixed. Then while the TF2 hype was dying down, we could have slammed them with an even cleaner, more polished release and the snowball of players would have been unstoppable.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 PM   #55
df`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Hwoling Manz
In retrospect, I think we should have held the release until after TF2's hype was finished. In the meantime some of the remaining minor bugs could have been fixed. Then while the TF2 hype was dying down, we could have slammed them with an even cleaner, more polished release and the snowball of players would have been unstoppable.
I had the same thoughts before release...of course, I didn't say anything because I knew I would be ignored/flamed for insinuating that we should wait even LONGER for FF. But this would have by far been the most prudent course of action, even if not the most immediately gratifying.

For now I think 1.1 is going to make or break the game for good. A patch will bring back lots of people who have given up to give it another shot, and if they don't stick around after that they will be gone for good.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:04 PM   #56
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by df`
I had the same thoughts before release...of course, I didn't say anything because I knew I would be ignored/flamed for insinuating that we should wait even LONGER for FF. But this would have by far been the most prudent course of action, even if not the most immediately gratifying.

For now I think 1.1 is going to make or break the game for good. A patch will bring back lots of people who have given up to give it another shot, and if they don't stick around after that they will be gone for good.
I can see what you're saying, but it's pointless right now to think in retrospect. What can be done to help FF now? That is where we need to look. An awesome patch could help, but that is for the devs to do. What can we, the players do? I am considering trying to make some videos, but I could use some pointers as to what kind to make.

"let's see some amazing offense runs and some defense clips." Ok, there is a somewhat broad suggestion, but a start. And question: what is potw?

Old 09-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #57
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3m
If theres ANY justice in the world this mod will do very well.

If not then I just hope the devs can take pride in their work and be satisfied with the outcome.

Cdotter go die in a fucking fire pls thanks.

I'm going to continue to host a server. Don't give up hope!!

Old 09-28-2007, 10:10 PM   #58
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Hmm

What can we players do? I'll tell you what we can do.

-Shut up and don't comment on those who think FF is dying.
-Continue playing FF
-Enjoy FF
-Pay no attention to the TF2'ers and the FF criticize'ers,rant'ers,etc
-Let this thread die, it's useless. We all discussed the matter, and it's solved. FF is dead to some and isn't to others. mkay?
-PLAY SOME AADVARK CTB! FTW

This is brought to you by Kenny, the lovable zombie who just possibly can't shut the hell up.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #59
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
What can we players do? I'll tell you what we can do.

-Shut up and don't comment on those who think FF is dying.
-Continue playing FF
-Enjoy FF
-Pay no attention to the TF2'ers and the FF criticize'ers,rant'ers,etc
-Let this thread die, it's useless. We all discussed the matter, and it's solved. FF is dead to some and isn't to others. mkay?
-PLAY SOME AADVARK CTB! FTW

This is brought to you by Kenny, the lovable zombie who just possibly can't shut the hell up.
Minus the ardvark suggestion, I did all of that in TFC. No thanks, mmkAy?

Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #60
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngeeMan
Que es unique connections by server and where did you get that number?
Out of our own tracking system. Unique Connections means number of unique steam-ids to attach to the box, under each game. The "Denied" are those people that have been banned that attempted to connect.

Scuzzy

Closed Thread