Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Beef Eater

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Why Source engine?

Since FF is pretty much a dying mod atm (Edit: correction, a dying mod in the pub scene, in Europe ), I think we should all point out the mistakes that were made (besides subpar advertising), so that these mistakes will be avoided in the future. Yes, I'm Captain Obvious.

With all due respect, I think, personally, that the choice of the Source engine for this mod, IMO, was one of those mistakes, IMHO.

This decision probably made sense to the original devs back when the TF2 project was dead. People wanted a SOURCE ENGINE sequel of TF(since HL2 used Source). If the original devs chose Source, they would get all the Valve followers with them to make the mod a success. However, most people got their Source based TF with TF2. "Why play a mod team's version when we have the real thing", right?

From a game design standpoint, Source wasn't a very smart choice for this game. It has terrible netcode (this is noticeable even in the sluggish TF2), and requires more minimum resources than a game of this kind should (even if they're relatively low for a modern game engine). Moreover, you're tied to Steam by default, and everyone who wants to play your mod/game have to own a Source game to do so. It's also not open source. Not a very good engine for a competitive game like this one. The only advantage I can think of is being able to join friends more easily.

If this project were started in 2009, I would personally choose the Warsow engine and make the mod a standalone game instead. Devs, I don't expect you to be able to switch engine now, unless you feel like rebooting the project entirely. If you ever reboot, though, keep this in mind, I guess

Discuss!

Last edited by Beef Eater; 12-31-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Beef Eater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
I admit I didn't read it all... but.

I said something similar the other day with zelenjava. If only because of the pace of FF and the engines inability to cope with such a fast game (lag prediction etc).

I wasn't around when the mod was started so can only presume, as well as you can, the reasons for why it was made on the source engine. I'm sure there are many reasons for why it was chosen at the time.

I would presume that many of the interested original developers were used to the HL engine after making content for TFC. I guess it was easier to find the staff. In regards to what you said, I also presume that the warsow engine has improved since work on FF began.
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 12-27-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Source was hot shit in '03, and more people have HL2 than Warsow.

Last edited by Circuitous; 12-27-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
I wouldn't say that FF is 'dying', the pickup/league scene is pretty big right now. There's so many teams in UGC that clans are complaining we need more divisions.

As for FF's 'unpopularity', what do you expect, you have ~100 TFC players/veterans/legends who hate FF because it's easier, and would rather play an 11 year old game because it's harder.

Plus of course, the lack of advertising.

However, I highly doubt that more than %.001 of everyone who has ever played FF actually cares what engine it's played on. Let's be real here.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Beef Eater

Elmo: I guess the OP was a little tl; dr It's cool that a dev agrees with me! I realise the Warsow engine probably wasn't that good back when FF was started, I'm not even sure the game was released back then! That's why I said "If it was started in 2009" Right now the engine is pretty smokin'

Circuitous: Indeed! I believe Warsow engine is open-source, though? So one can make a stand-alone Warsow-engine based game? Actually, I'm not sure about this! I just always assumed it was. Does the Warsow SDK come with the Source code or is it locked down like Source SDK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
I wouldn't say that FF is 'dying', the pickup/league scene is pretty big right now. There's so many teams in UGC that clans are complaining we need more divisions.
Oh, that's great! Didn't know FF was that popular in comp I meant that it's not very popular in pubs, to clarify!
Quote:
As for FF's 'unpopularity', what do you expect, you have ~100 TFC players/veterans/legends who hate FF because it's easier, and would rather play an 11 year old game because it's harder.

Plus of course, the lack of advertising.
Yup!
Quote:
However, I highly doubt that more than %.001 of everyone who has ever played FF actually cares what engine it's played on. Let's be real here.
That's great, then they wouldn't be mad if the engine is switched!

Last edited by Beef Eater; 12-27-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Eater View Post
That's great, then they wouldn't be mad if the engine is switched!
I think the developers who do this on their own time, for free would be mad.

There's also the fact that you have multiple developers that have experience with the HL engine.

This thread is 6 years late.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
Beef Eater

Quote:
I think the developers who do this on their own time, for free would be mad.

There's also the fact that you have multiple developers that have experience with the HL engine.
Quote:
Devs, I don't expect you to be able to switch engine now
And I'm aware of the fact many devs on the team only have GoldSrc/Source engine experience.
Quote:
This thread is 6 years late.
Yes.

Last edited by Beef Eater; 12-27-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
haha "the dev team agrees"

I agree but I rarely consider the bigger picture of the game that was merely an opinion I had the other day while speaking to Zel.. Certainly not speaking on behalf of the team! It's rare that anyone on the team intentionally speaks for everyone!

Reading up again... (I don't know why I don't read it all before I post )

I got your point and I know you weren't suggesting we change it now
(as some people seem to have understood). But yeah..

My personal opinion is that if FF were started again, source would not be the ideal choice. Quake/UT/Warsow engine.. but not source. This is not based on any good grounding or knowledge of the others, however. Merely the types of games played on those engines are similar to FF and appear to better suit.
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 12-27-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
If FF was started today, I think the best engine choices would be....

Orange box (which is not the same as source engine) or Unreal Engine 3. UE3 is an amazing looking engine, and the UE3 makers have recently did something that was very cool.

You can make a full stand alone game for free, or even charge for it, but if you charge for it you have to buy a $99 license from them.

http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=160621
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
zelenjava
pew pew cry Bridget
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Since FF is pretty much a dying mod atm, I think we should all point out the mistakes that were made (besides subpar advertising), so that these mistakes will be avoided in the future. Yes, I'm Captain Obvious.

With all due respect, I think, personally, that the choice of the Source engine for this mod, IMO, was one of those mistakes, IMHO.

This decision probably made sense to the original devs back when the TF2 project was dead. People wanted a SOURCE ENGINE sequel of TF(since HL2 used Source). If the original devs chose Source, they would get all the Valve followers with them to make the mod a success. However, most people got their Source based TF with TF2. "Why play a mod team's version when we have the real thing", right?

From a game design standpoint, Source wasn't a very smart choice for this game. It has terrible netcode (this is noticeable even in the sluggish TF2), and requires more minimum resources than a game of this kind should (even if they're relatively low for a modern game engine). Moreover, you're tied to Steam by default, and everyone who wants to play your mod/game have to own a Source game to do so. It's also not open source. Not a very good engine for a competitive game like this one. The only advantage I can think of is being able to join friends more easily.

If this project were started in 2009, I would personally choose the Warsow engine and make the mod a standalone game instead. Devs, I don't expect you to be able to switch engine now, unless you feel like rebooting the project entirely. If you ever reboot, though, keep this in mind, I guess

Discuss!
I completely agree, the net code on this game is so bad that at times i wonder if its really worth playing anymore. A view which is shared with others.. dreams of a warsow engine FF are to good to be true :P
zelenjava is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
zelenjava
pew pew cry Bridget
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
honestly though, i'd vote for FF in a web browser as a mod for q3live . Surely that would get players
zelenjava is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #12
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Warsow runs on the Quake2 engine. You guys have got to be kidding. And while developing for UE3 is less of a hassle than Source, the latter is better suited for a wide range of hardware..

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Beef Eater

QUOTES!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
haha "the dev team agrees"

I agree but I rarely consider the bigger picture of the game that was merely an opinion I had the other day while speaking to Zel.. Certainly not speaking on behalf of the team! It's rare that anyone on the team intentionally speaks for everyone!
Whoops, I was editing my post and changed the wording from "a member of the dev team" to "a dev" but the "team" slipped in too I didn't mean the whole dev team, will edit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Reading up again... (I don't know why I don't read it all before I post )

I got your point and I know you weren't suggesting we change it now
(as some people seem to have understood). But yeah..

My personal opinion is that if FF were started again, source would not be the ideal choice. Quake/UT/Warsow engine.. but not source. This is not based on any good grounding or knowledge of the others, however. Merely the types of games played on those engines are similar to FF and appear to better suit.
Yeah, exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
If FF was started today, I think the best engine choices would be....

Orange box (which is not the same as source engine)
TF2 runs on that engine, its netcode is almost as bad as before :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelenjava View Post
I completely agree, the net code on this game is so bad that at times i wonder if its really worth playing anymore. A view which is shared with others.. dreams of a warsow engine FF are to good to be true :P
Indeed, it is too good to be true
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelenjava View Post
honestly though, i'd vote for FF in a web browser as a mod for q3live . Surely that would get players
Heh, Quake Live is nice It's too bad it's so locked down, no mod support, LAN support or player hosted server support... Wish they would keep updating Q3A with QL content and synchronize the two, sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pF View Post
Warsow runs on the Quake2 engine. You guys have got to be kidding.
Well yes, in the same way Half-Life 2 runs on the GoldSrc engine. You've played Warsow, right? It runs on an improved Q2(Qfusion) and its graphics are pretty damn good. Not great but that's because of the art style. It also lacks ragdoll/object physics, something that hardly belongs in a Quake-like competitive fps anyway, for gameplay reasons. Also, netcode is great

Last edited by Beef Eater; 12-27-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
It also lacks ragdoll/object physics, something that hardly belongs in a Quake-like competitive fps anyway, for gameplay reasons.
fuck that, flying bodies/body parts is fucking epic

Last edited by reaper18; 12-27-2009 at 11:14 PM.
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #15
elwood
el duke.

Class/Position: spy evryfring & med.
EPIC
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #16
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Realizing that this game was originally created to appeal to TFC veterans and not to the casual gamer, it should make some sense why the development team went with Source. It's arguably the easiest and most user-friendly engine to work with, the items you need to create your own mod are conviently packed into one package: The Source SDK. That's a plus for the devs.

For the audience, I imagine they wanted the game on an engine produced by the same guys who made the Goldsrc engine, so it was more a renovation than a brand new game and felt more 'at home'. Last, while it is necessary to utilize Steam to play Fortress Forever, the pros greatly outweigh the cons. If they wanted to 'populate' the game, what better place than Steam's content delivery system and the Steam Community?

I 'unno.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 12:58 AM   #17
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
the use of source engine to make ff was logic, and was the right choice : )
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #18
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
QUOTES!!
Well yes, in the same way Half-Life 2 runs on the GoldSrc engine. You've played Warsow, right? It runs on an improved Q2(Qfusion) and its graphics are pretty damn good. Not great but that's because of the art style. It also lacks ragdoll/object physics, something that hardly belongs in a Quake-like competitive fps anyway, for gameplay reasons. Also, netcode is great
This is correct, it uses the more advanced Qfusion engine maintained by vic. And yes all the code is open source. If you think the netcode is great I'm assuming you haven't played 0.5 :P Anyway, the warsow project was nowhere near where it is now (qfusion shine, scripting support, etc) when FF was conceived and even developed so it's an unfair viewpoint really. The Source engine was naturally very complete and mature when released, and orange box brings cool 'stuff' like achievements that would otherwise not be an option. And the biggest thing to me is that Warsow has directly comparable player base to FF so they seem kind of in the same boat. Even quake live has a very small and stagnating active player base in the USA.

tldr; player count issue has nothing to do with engine selection these days. fast paced fps like quake and TF gameplay have largely taken a back seat to teamplay games designed for people with no attention span, like CoD, regardless of the engine
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 03:38 AM   #19
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Quote:
Well yes, in the same way Half-Life 2 runs on the GoldSrc engine.
No.

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #20
Beef Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper18 View Post
fuck that, flying bodies/body parts is fucking epic
You can get body parts... And bodies that you can blow up, unlike Source's clientside ragdolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Realizing that this game was originally created to appeal to TFC veterans and not to the casual gamer, it should make some sense why the development team went with Source.
Casual gamers prefer a Warsow like engine?
Quote:
It's arguably the easiest and most user-friendly engine to work with, the items you need to create your own mod are conviently packed into one package: The Source SDK. That's a plus for the devs.
I heard Warsow has an SDK too
Quote:
For the audience, I imagine they wanted the game on an engine produced by the same guys who made the Goldsrc engine, so it was more a renovation than a brand new game and felt more 'at home'. Last, while it is necessary to utilize Steam to play Fortress Forever, the pros greatly outweigh the cons. If they wanted to 'populate' the game, what better place than Steam's content delivery system and the Steam Community?

I 'unno.
Yes, Source is the successor to GoldSrc, I realise that's why the original devs made FF for this engine... I addressed this in the OP.

As for being tied to Steam, I can't see any pro except Friends support, and maybe future Steamworks integration that could make the mod more popular. The cons are; Players need to have Steam running while playing the mod, and people who are interested in the mod need Steam and a Source game to play it. That limits the potential player base, I imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pF View Post
No.
Comparing Warsow engine to Q2 is redundant, it has countless improvements. Most of all, it's better suited to the gameplay a TF game offers, without looking bad because of it. I don't believe hardcore TF players would care much about having better graphics than Q3/Warsow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
This is correct, it uses the more advanced Qfusion engine maintained by vic. And yes all the code is open source. If you think the netcode is great I'm assuming you haven't played 0.5 :P
Hmm, I didn't play pre-4.2 Warsow but to me the netcode feels much better in 0.5... Are you talking about the removal of backwards reconcilation at a ping above 150, or not including rocket launcher in anti lag? I'll assume they're fixing that for the next version, they constantly try to improve the netcode
Quote:
Anyway, the warsow project was nowhere near where it is now (qfusion shine, scripting support, etc) when FF was conceived and even developed so it's an unfair viewpoint really.
I never claimed it was, I merely said that if FF was started in 2009 I would personally want it to use the Warsow engine. A better option than Source back when FF was started would have been CPMA engine, I guess.

Quote:
The Source engine was naturally very complete and mature when released, and orange box brings cool 'stuff' like achievements that would otherwise not be an option.
Yeah, achievements are cool but not that important especially for a multiplayer game IMO.
Quote:
And the biggest thing to me is that Warsow has directly comparable player base to FF so they seem kind of in the same boat. Even quake live has a very small and stagnating active player base in the USA.
I dunno about US, but here in Sweden I rarely get more than 3 active pub servers here, whereas with Warsow I get about 20+ -100ping servers (just checked). I don't know anything about the league/pickup player base. But yes, Warsow isn't that popular.
Quote:
tldr; player count issue has nothing to do with engine selection these days. fast paced fps like quake and TF gameplay have largely taken a back seat to teamplay games designed for people with no attention span, like CoD, regardless of the engine
Bloody COD
True, most players probably don't care about good netcode etc, but again, when using Source means you have to use Steam and own a Source game to play the mod/game, that limits the player base, if only by a bit. Installing a standalone game can seem like a simpler task than installing a Source mod, too

Last edited by Beef Eater; 12-28-2009 at 08:35 PM.