Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
No , scout or medic. Getting out when it was constantly mirved / burned / infected was generally just a bag of shit. It was a poorly designed spawn exit considering spawn spam was always an issue in TFC. The last version i tried had added ceiling guns to try and fix this but didnt really accomplish much
hmm i havent really had a problem with that ( i mainly play offy as well), and usually the only time i see the spawn get spammed is if theres an obnoxious sniper camping up there the entire match. in that case, i get in on the spamming/infecting stuff and do my best to fuck his whole world up, so its a good chance that i was the one spamming that spawn back in the day when you were playing. sorry.

but yes, i do agree that in pubs, that exit kinda sucks since its all wide open. but, there always is the other exit to get out the old school way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
Because I like to offy and i found that the usual 80% def on publics with only 2 very tight flag exits just plain annoying. A touched flag usually resulted in demo/hw/engi spam all over the FD/RR. Played under clan style conditions this map would be fine i think, as it was designed to be , but for publics it was just not fun.
ive found that my best bet in that situation is to go spy, but i can see where youre coming from there. thats kind of the shitty thing about pubs, is sometimes you get with a good group of people that dont just stack defense, but a lot of the times, you do. unfortunately, thats just the way pubs are.

you can always come by #ff.pickup on gamesurge if you want to play in a bit of a more organized environment

thanks for taking the time to explain that, and hopefully you will come back and change your mind.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #8042
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
No reason to be hostile and negative 82694. Want a hug?
Yep.

Must be the 12 hr days and no days off. I reread my post. Sorry.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #8043
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
Saboteurs of FF?

Lately there has been a lot of talk about what is needed to help bolster the dwindling FF player base. Some of this talk is about negative things that experienced players are doing, such as calling new players "noobs" and laughing/yelling at them. This complaint leaves many of the regulars scratching their heads trying to remember if they ever saw this happening, because they always help new players.

However, I did see this happen last night on the AE server....except it was kind of weird. I didn't recognize the dudes name, and he typed something like "LOLZ NOOBS!!!" So, the only guy I have ever seen make fun of a noob, and I have never seen them at all.....strange.

Then it dawned on me....maybe the people complaining about that happening, are the one's doing it. I mean, how often do you even see the people who are highly critical of FF actually playing the game? Well, maybe they are, but not under their forum name.....just so they can anonymously be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe they're bitter about being wrong so much, that they have to spread negativity, and then complain about it? You know....career jerks.

So, it seems like some people are intentionally trying to ruin this game (there's youtube videos about this), and I for one will be keeping track of the Steam IDs of all the players I see being jerks. I can't wait to find out whether or not it's the same dude going by different names.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #8044
Adamido
Its over nine thousands!!!

Class/Position: midmap pyro / o spy
Gametype: AvD
I support you with this.
Adamido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #8045
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I don't think there are career jerks out there, and if they were the community has been pretty good about communicating issues with players to each other.

Either way I'm a stats freak... so I crunched the noob numbers. People saying "noob" in the [o-t] FF since last September (that did so more then once):

(steam_id - Name - # of times saying 'noob')
STEAM_0:0:8322485 - /KBN/ Skillet - 7
STEAM_0:0:5413198 - Ecto [PANDA] - 5
STEAM_0:0:17083658 - DJ Dumb - 4
STEAM_0:1:3785563 - Stoertebeker - 3
STEAM_0:0:18103477 - -={D|o|S}=- JohnnyC - 2
STEAM_0:0:4846918 - MrBlowtatoesTheCybernaut - 2
STEAM_0:0:17439319 - :e0: Yoda {FYC} - 2
STEAM_0:0:17385955 - cool kid - 2
STEAM_0:1:3010350 - Machete - 2
STEAM_0:0:5682265 - [e.]TerrorFakt - 2
STEAM_0:0:6436544 - GambiT - 2
STEAM_0:1:1285861 - SuperDude - 2
STEAM_0:0:11628193 - Scout {BONK} Ger - 2

Out of the 50 people that had used the word 'noob', 6 of them have been banned for one reason or another.

Gambit, I'm so ashamed of you.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #8046
Handym
I got some bread, bitch

Send a message via MSN to Handym Send a message via Skype™ to Handym
Skillet being on the list doesn't surprise me
Handym is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #8047
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handym
Skillet being on the list doesn't surprise me
NOOB.

Also, its not the calling people noobs constantly that makes them go away, its the fact that they don't get help, don't understand, won't understand the core mechanics of the game that makes the leave
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #8048
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWetMule
NOOB.

Also, its not the calling people noobs constantly that makes them go away, its the fact that they don't get help, don't understand, won't understand the core mechanics of the game that makes the leave
I'm working on it... I'm pretty happy with what I've got on most of it. I'll be more than happy to share some videos of the training mode once I get a few things sorted.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #8049
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
I'm working on it... I'm pretty happy with what I've got on most of it. I'll be more than happy to share some videos of the training mode once I get a few things sorted.
Oh this wasn't a stab at you. It was just what I've noticed, some of them just don't WANT to learn the game, and then leave when they don't understand what I'm trying to explain. I guess its the main reason TFC started dieing too
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #8050
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWetMule
Oh this wasn't a stab at you. It was just what I've noticed, some of them just don't WANT to learn the game, and then leave when they don't understand what I'm trying to explain. I guess its the main reason TFC started dieing too
Yeah, I wasn't offended or anything. I just see all these posts saying "noobs can't learn how to do x, y, and z" and I just want to say that it WILL be fixed in the future.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #8051
richard nixon

If you really think that people are going out of their way to make sure FF fails you must be retarded.

I've never heard such a stupid thing in my life. And to connect the dots about people who complain about it are the ones doing it. That just brings you up to level 10 on my retardation meter. Christ.

There are assholes in every game. Seems like just about every time I join CSS now somebody will come in and bash it and say "BF2" is better or "CoD4" is better, or something else like that.
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #8052
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

I don't think people are going out of their way to scare off players like this, like nixon said it's just normal for some people to be dicks in online games. As for the people who come on here claiming that elitist players scaring of newbies is what's keeping the mod from ever getting popular, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that those people are pissed of with the clan community in one way or another and just love to make it their scape goat.

Edit: As for the statistics for who has uttered the word 'noob' on a server : that carries little weight since you don't know the context in which the word was used. The word is so cliche by now it is commonly used in banter between friends etc..
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #8053
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
Edit: As for the statistics for who has uttered the word 'noob' on a server : that carries little weight since you don't know the context in which the word was used. The word is so cliche by now it is commonly used in banter between friends etc..
Completely agree, calling someone a noob can be done for fun or as friends. Why do you think I 'ribbed' Gambit? I don't think these guys have done anything wrong. Skillet is a great player and I've seen him say that to his friends, no one else that I know of, I ran them cause I thought it would be funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
dude get that out of here. there's no need to point fingers at people. the word noob is, and always will be used in online games.
Re-read my post, it clearly didn't have malice behind it. You two take the internets too seriously.

Quote:
you and your server, always keeping track of everyone, and pointing people out. it makes me sick.
The days of calling people n*gg*rs and treating others like shit with the ability to hide like a snake in the grass of anonymity are over. There are those that will adjust, those that will behave, and those that will bitch about being called. If you think [o-t] is the only one out there doing that I can assure you that the Steam-Friends network is clearly moving in that direction. You can pull up people you've played with recently, so if someone's being a problem in your server anyone can track them now.

Scuzzy

Last edited by Scuzzy; 04-26-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #8054
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
If you really think that people are going out of their way to make sure FF fails you must be retarded.
Dude, there's people doing stuff like this in everyday life all the time. All you gotta' do is drive around in your car to realize that there is a large segment of humanity that pretty much thrives on the misery of others. I could go on for hours on all of the things other drivers do on purpose just to amuse themselves.

Overall, they don't succeed in life so much as impede the progress of others. Usually, deception is their sharpest tool. Sometimes it is for profit of some kind, and sometimes it's just because they can be a jerk and get away with it. It's all about them...

Again, if I never see the dudes, who complain about noob bashing, playing FF...then how do they know this is happening? What part of their story is made up, or a half-truth? I don't think any of the players on Scuzzy's list, or any of the other players who post in forum, would make fun of, or yell at a new player.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #8055
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Scuz, how do you keep track of things like that? I'd like to be able to keep track of data like that, not necessarily to keep a close eye on my server, but to get rid of the people who are the real problem makers.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2008, 01:20 AM   #8056
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
Scuz, how do you keep track of things like that? I'd like to be able to keep track of data like that, not necessarily to keep a close eye on my server, but to get rid of the people who are the real problem makers.
System called "ScuzTools", which is currently being rewritten in SourceMod/MySQL and Vbulletin 3.7 for public release. The language piece is in Perl though, much faster that way...

Scuzzy

Old 04-27-2008, 02:56 AM   #8057
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
System called "ScuzTools", which is currently being rewritten in SourceMod/MySQL and Vbulletin 3.7 for public release. The language piece is in Perl though, much faster that way...

Scuzzy
Because scuzzy is that cool and writes his own stuff
I hate your server scuzz, its way too intrusive, and way to strict
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2008, 03:44 AM   #8058
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
saying sexy, saying fagl (which is a typo from flag), and noob are all totally different things from the N word.
Sigh. I guess I'll take a moment to set the record straight here. I would agree with what you say above, but you used up those chances. (noob isn't in the filter btw)

Your Record

A person could, in theory, swear 88 times per day and not auto-temp banned. We give people a two warnings within a short time frame, the third occurance is when the temp bans begin. That means a player, you specificially, have PLENTY OF CHANCES to shut your mouth and play the game. What's funny is you spent your last chances pushing the system to get banned. How pitiful it was to get banned over such a small word, yes, but you did it intentionally. You called someone a pussy, tested out the word "tard" and were nailed, then continued to use it again all within less then 3 minutes! YOU did this to yourself, not me, not anyone else in [o-t]. You spent your chances of your own free will, you were fair warned each time you were slayed that a temp ban was coming. As you can see those chances can be VERY important afterwards. You mistype something, or you use a word you personally might not normally associate with a filter and you're banned again. You gave up your right to those chances freely. You made that mistake. You're the only one that can fix that situation (by not speaking). This is the second time I've had to explain this to you. You've played on the server 35 times since July of 2006, you know the rules by now.

As for your mistype. I gave you ample opportunity, even after you insulted the clan and myself, to tell me that was a typo and I would fix it. I would post a link to that message, but it was cleaned out of a previous thread. You said you were never coming back to the [o-t] server and that it didn't matter. That is your call and even though you have come back since saying that we, again, wish you well wherever you play... be it on our server or elsewhere.

Scuzzy

Old 04-27-2008, 04:01 AM   #8059
Inceptor
/Fail

We need more 50's in the FF community!!!
Inceptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2008, 04:52 AM   #8060
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
saying sexy, saying fagl (which is a typo from flag), and noob are all totally different things from the N word.

oh, and anyone who think people are actually trying to get rid of FF besides one group which i will not speak of, is really retarded. just because someone isnt on the forums doesnt mean that they are trying to get rid of FF.

"Spy sapping mah FF!"

oh, and reaper, to the question you asked why i'm pissed at the FF community, i think this thread speaks for itself.
There are select moments in this community when your just like "What the fuck is wrong with you people?" But you have to understand, that different people come from different backrounds. they have different views, and beliefs. But seriously, because the o-t server has strict policy, and you got banned there, and your pissed at them, doesnt mean you take it out on the FF community, nor do you take it out on the server, just dont play there dude.
thats what forums are great for, you can add your opinion, and construct a debate from there. I for one disagree with this saboteur thing, it seems unrealistic. Again, people are hypocritical, but thats extremist.
All in all greenday, you have to be willing to give people a chance, even if they dont give you one. Its what separates the good people from the bad, and the intellectuals from the outright dumbasses.
I can vouch for o-t, ive played there a LONG time, i think well over 3 years, and its great, they are a friendly, easy to get along with, fun loving group of people, especially the other peeps that regular their community as i have.
You dont have to swear to have a good time.

EDIT
Whats with all this FF is dead bullshit?
Mod isnt dead.
Why dont we stfu about OMG FF IS DEAD and start embracing the fact that we have a great community of players and an even better mod.
This community is better than most ive seen, yea, it has drama, but shit, thats everywhere you go.
FF Forums is kinda like a small southern town. Always say hi to each other when we see each other in game, and welcome anyone with open arms.
Its not the player base thats killing us, its this shit about how the mod is dead that is.

BTW scuzz, could i see that log for my ID?
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote