Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Matheis

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
FF vs TF 2 my impressions

Hello all,

I don't want to make this a pissing contest I just want to say my honest opinion/2cents which no one has to agree with. I would like to also state some suggestions to both the FF and TF 2 devs.

Overall I like both games equally they both have there ups and downs which is why I can't say 1 is better then the other.

TF 2- A slower pace- In my view this is a good thing considering as im getting older in real life as my health does not improve I do not have the reflexes,sight or cordination to compete with all these young kids and young adults who play this game. It is mostly cause of my handicap/age/health is the reason why I like this slower paced game.

FF- A faster pace- The speed of this game is alot faster it takes alot more concentration and you have to be more alert of things around you. FF pretty much has maintained the same pace of the original TFC which is a good thing.

Now as for me likeing it I do not hate a fast paced game but I prefer a slower paced game like TF 2 that is just my prefrence some may disagree others may agree. However, when I was playing TFC that was about 8 years ago and I was just a teenager then also my health was not messed up.

TFC- A faster pace

Some things I don't like about TF 2 medic

- I don't like how I can't poisen people or infect the enemy team

Some things I don't like about FF medic

- I dislike the healing system I have to be right next to the person to heal them. I also tend to notice 90% of the medics in TFC/FF are "lazy medics" who don't heal people inless they are infected. This is partially due to the fact that people die so fast that it's not worth healing them. Well however with TF 2's slower gameplay this makes the medic class more usefull "healing wise". I give credit to the FF team for staying loyal to the communtiy and sticking with the original TFC medic.

Some things I Like about the TF 2 medic

-I liked the "ranged healing ability it makes it much more "fun" and "easier" to heal people I no longer have to be face to face to them I can be like 1 to 2 feet away from them. This also makes people want to heal others it cuts down the "lazy medics" I also like the new syringe gun which is pretty cool and real powerfull allthough it feels like i am shooting FF/TFC nailgun.

Some things I like about the FF medic

I like how the FF devs made the FF medic exactly like the TFC medic it brings back some wonderfull memories of me giving the enemy team aids and STD's as i violently thrust my medic pack into there bodies.

Some things I dislike about TF 2 sniper

-there is no timer this makes the class way over powered
-the red iron sight laser is to small it needs to be a larger radius
-the sniper should get a pistol insted of a shotgun
-I dislike the "warcry/battlecry" it sounds like a homosexuel swedish/german man.

Some things I dislike about FF sniper

-The sniper is really nothing like TFC's sniper
-Even if you are a good shot the accurecy on it is horrible
-The laser aim radius is way to small on it
-the gun is way under powered you can't no longer 1 shot kill heavy weapon guys
-no melee weapon

Some things I like about TF 2 sniper

-I like the looks
-I like the added "melee weapon" the machate is badass. I once went on a rampage and killed like 5 guys with it.

Some things I like about FF sniper

-I like the looks
-I like it's autorifle it is alot better then the TFC one

Some things I dislike about TF 2 scout

- I believe it can't no longer detect spies which is a bad thing? anyone know?
-the scout should be able to run faster

Some things I dislike about FF scout

-the scout is kind of boring but I didn't except much because I always thought TFC's scout was boring as well. I think if a "bat" or some blunt object was added it would really spice things up. But I do not know if the devs want to change the game around. As far as I see FF is a remake of TFC with added features & physics.

- I also believe it can no longer detect spies

Some things I like about TF 2 scout

-I love the bat it really makes the class alot more fun.

FF to me is a remake of TFC which is exactly what I asked for and I thank all the devs, and community who made this game happen. FF is a remake with added features such as physics,maps,graphics. TF 2 on the other hand does not feel like the original TFC it feels like a whole new game with some of the features taken from TFC.

I really can't say TF 2 and FF are the same cause they are not it's like fruit for instence TF 2 is a apple and FF is a orange both are fruit but one may dislike apples while the other likes oranges vice-versa. As for the gameplay...

if you want a fast-paced game that is 90% accuret to the original go play FF

if you want a slow-paced game that has a easier learning curve and is easier for newbies go play TF 2. Also TF 2 has more of a "arcadish" feel to it. While FF has a more PC game feel to it.

FF's enviroment seems to be more "dark and gothic" while TF 2's enviorment feels more "gay" in the 1950's sort of way. TF 2 has a 1950's retro feel to it. While FF has more of a TFC feel to it.

I really believe most of the vet's may play FF more then TF 2 and all the newbies/kids/old farts like me will be playing TF 2 alot more. I play both TF 2 and FF it all depends on what mood I am in. Also FF/TF 2 are both not finished they both still have alot of work to do so things may change....

On a side note, I really hope the TF 2 devs do not change the gameplay of TF 2 I know it's in beta and things may change. However I hope the devs do not cave in into all these whiners who complain that the game is to "slow paced" if you want a fast paced game then go back to FF or TFC. I would really like for TF 2 and FF to remain 2 different playstyles I DO NOT want them to copy off each other. I want to keep TF 2 slow pace and FF fast pace.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
ajniN

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Rainbow post I like it.
ajniN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Matheis

Suggestions

FF devs

-please fix sniper rifle make it alot more like TFC's. For one thing the aimer is not good the red dot is to small.

-Also the accurecy needs to be fixed it is way off and I am not a bad sniper.

-Please give scout more health in my view it is to weak. I know this is a remake of TFC but I really think we can spice this class up a bit more.

-if it can't detect spies please fix it so it can.

-Please fix the demo man the explosives are to faulty they don't land fast enough or they never land where I want them to especilly the pipe ones.

-please make the timer on the pyro's flame last longer. Some say pyro is way over powered I dis-agree I still think overall its still pretty weak. Allthough not as weak as TFC's I believe the timer needs to be a bit longer. And I really like FF's pyro more then TF 2's if that makes you feel better

-please port some of the original TFC maps to FF's engine I miss TFC's 2forts. I do not like the FF version of 2fort this whole "green team" thing throws me off alot.

thank you

-Matt

Old 09-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

I would play TF2 if they got rid of respawn delay.
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheis
I do not like the FF version of 2fort this whole "green team" thing throws me off alot.
i think you mean 2morforever? thats not our 2fort

in fact, i think some douche leaked ff_dev_2fort, which is our tfc port of 2fort.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Suggestions

FF devs

-please fix sniper rifle make it alot more like TFC's. For one thing the aimer is not good the red dot is to small.

-Also the accurecy needs to be fixed it is way off and I am not a bad sniper.
Yeah, the accuracy is a bit iffy at times. I am sure one of the devs can come in here and say some stuff about internets or code or whatever and explain it.

Quote:
-Please give scout more health in my view it is to weak. I know this is a remake of TFC but I really think we can spice this class up a bit more.

-if it can't detect spies please fix it so it can.
Scout can indeed uncover a disguised or a cloaked Spy. And before anyone asks, yes he can still disable detpacks.

Quote:
-Please fix the demo man the explosives are to faulty they don't land fast enough or they never land where I want them to especilly the pipe ones.
The pipes are different than TFC, I will agree with that...

Quote:
-please make the timer on the pyro's flame last longer. Some say pyro is way over powered I dis-agree I still think overall its still pretty weak. Allthough not as weak as TFC's I believe the timer needs to be a bit longer. And I really like FF's pyro more then TF 2's if that makes you feel better
The Pyro's main advantage is in stacking the burn damage via the three weapons, but admittedly this is at a fault on maps where he does not have the napalm nade (like ff_push).

Quote:
-please port some of the original TFC maps to FF's engine I miss TFC's 2forts. I do not like the FF version of 2fort this whole "green team" thing throws me off alot.

thank you

-Matt
As mervaka stated, that is NOT a remake of 2fort - it is a remake of 2morfort, one of the better intepretations of 2fort that was in TFC.

I understand how the community wants to see a lot of the TFC maps ported, and trust me when I say that the devs and the community are working on this. epicenter, openfire, 2fort, flagrun, and many other favorites are in the works. (And before anyone asks, no, neither I nor any of the beta testers have seen the dev's intepretation of 2fort.) They will make it out in time.

Thanks for your support and your suggestions - the devs always take them under consideration, but ultimately they will do what is best for the game, not just what the community wants.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Matheis

And no one should ever bash FF or be mean to them cause you guys have to remember the FF devs are doing this for FREE they don't make thousends of dollars like Valve does they simply make stuff that we the community request. This is no pissing contest to see whos better in my view because in my opinion these are two entirely different games with entirely different playstyles.

Like I said previously from my knowledge FF community intended FF to be a "remake" of TFC with a upgraded physics system & added features. As for bashing TF 2 i dont care because valve makes millions of dollars they had over 5 years to get there shit together and FF didn't even have half that time.

As for people whineing about TF 2's gameplay being so "slow" if you don't like it stick with TFC or FF don't make the TF 2 devs change it cause if they cave into a whineing community they will end up trashing the game even more much like what battlefield 2 guys did. Inless the majority want it changed then thats a different story but its really hard to tell who the majority is.

TF 2 and FF should be different games I don't think they should be the same if they started copying each other what fun would it be?. I really like the direction FF is going I do not want it to be anything like TF 2. Most likely valve did tf 2 for the $$$ and FF is doing it for fun inless FF started selling this game like what happend to garrys mod.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
TF 2 and FF should be different games I don't think they should be the same if they started copying each other what fun would it be?. I really like the direction FF is going I do not want it to be anything like TF 2. Most likely valve did tf 2 for the $$$ and FF is doing it for fun inless FF started selling this game like what happend to garrys mod.
Exactly, both are vastly different games, something everyone was questioning when rumors of TF2 first hit the net.

And the devs stated a long time ago they won't sell FF, but hopefully some of them can get awesome l33t gamer jobs with FF in their resume.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost

And the devs stated a long time ago they won't sell FF, but hopefully some of them can get awesome l33t gamer jobs with FF in their resume.
They deserve a high paying l337 gamer job...no doubt.
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Lost, what have you been hiding from us?

Old 09-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
[SG]Prophecy

You know I'm not feeling any kind of issues with the Sniper class. I think it's relatively balanced compared with other classes. I've been sniping since QWTF and am having alot of fun with the class in FF.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #12
friday13th

i hope FF really takes off, cause id prefer it loads more

Old 09-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #13
Sabre
Creg

Pissed up gaming/laugh with mates/kids/console owner/general idiot = TF2

Clan play/serious about fortress/more advanced gamer = FF
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #14
teatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
Pissed up gaming/laugh with mates/kids/console owner/general idiot = TF2

Clan play/serious about fortress/more advanced gamer = FF
ah but don't forget there are plenty of idiots playing FF.
teatime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #15
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime
ah but don't forget there are plenty of idiots playing FF.
true , lastnight i joined in a server where i wondered why i was the only person on my team with fortress points, there was at least 6 or 7 teamates all huddled around shooting demo man pipes in the air and seeing if they could catch it or something and well i found a different server ... but you know thats just that one server, when you goto another one you mostlikely dont have the same problem
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #16
MrBeefy
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by barronofhellion
there was at least 6 or 7 teamates all huddled around shooting demo man pipes in the air and seeing if they could catch it or something
awesome!

i love it when people screw around having fun like that.

let's all play a game of Legsketball one day!
MrBeefy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #17
Digital_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by barronofhellion
true , last night i joined in a server where i wondered why i was the only person on my team with fortress points, there was at least 6 or 7 teammates all huddled around shooting demo man pipes in the air and seeing if they could catch it or something and well i found a different server ... but you know that's just that one server, when you go to another one you most likely don't have the same problem
lol, ya gotta expect some fun when a new/mod game comes out. Play around with whatever physics, weapons, see what you, the class or your team is capable of doing wit things. Sometimes that's how new ideas, tactics and other things are found. I don't know for a fact, but that's how pipe jumping, rocket jumping and concing probably started,lol.

here is a lil fun we had with the boat on Ardvark. ( great map)

Digital_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #18
MrBeefy
Retired FF Staff

lol! piped it in there?
MrBeefy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
Digital_Ghost

lol, yup. detpacks work to. pipes work best though.
Digital_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 PM   #20
BoltR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeefy
let's all play a game of Legsketball one day!
First one to 5 leggums wins? Or something?

As for the sniper aim being bad, I'm hesitant to agree with you. I've played with some beta testers and old JEC/Kali/GH snipers who have frustratingly amazing aim...
I used to be an really good sniper back in my prime of TFC, but i'm pretty bad at it now. I probably just need more practice or something...
BoltR is offline   Reply With Quote