Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 07-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Gender Bending and psychosis...

I just read this article about an 18 year old girl who thinks she's a boy trapped in a mans body. Today's "solution" for this is to cut her up and give her male genitalia and hormones.

What if she felt like she was a dog trapped in a human body? Why don't we do everything we can to turn her into a dog?

What are the differences between these two psychosis?

Scuzzy

Old 07-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
South Park explored this topic a few years ago........

Started with Mr. Garrison getting a Vaginoplasty, Kyle getting an Afroplasty, and Kyle's dad getting a Dolphoplasty........ Hysterical episode.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
From what I have read about Gender Dysphoria, most of the scientific community believes that gender is hardwired into the brain at birth. Is it so hard to believe some people might be born a girl but be hardwired as a boy?

This is like homosexuality IMO. It is not something that can be "cured", it was just how you were born. The sad thing is that it faces greater cultural challenges than homosexuality or other subjects difficult for the general public to swallow.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
This is like homosexuality IMO. It is not something that can be "cured", it was just how you were born. The sad thing is that it faces greater cultural challenges than homosexuality or other subjects difficult for the general public to swallow.
I understand how people see homosexuality as something that can not be cured, but many medical conditions were considered uncurable in the past as well. It's only a mater of time before someone comes up with a "cure" for this condition.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
And thus we enter the tricky area of genetic modification... stuff like Parkinson's are stuff most people would want to be cured... but stuff like this and homosexuality might be something where a large portion of the people do not want to be "cured" at all, even if an option exists.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
being gay isnt a disease that can be cured, it was a homonal imbalance during development. and at times during puberty that cause homosexuality. a friend of mine tried pumping himself with more male hormone to try to fix being gay and it didnt do much but make him uber agressive.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #7
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
I understand how people see homosexuality as something that can not be cured, but many medical conditions were considered uncurable in the past as well. It's only a mater of time before someone comes up with a "cure" for this condition.
I really don't think it's the same as a medical condition. At all. Mainly because in order to cure something, something has to be wrong with the person.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
I really don't think it's the same as a medical condition. At all. Mainly because in order to cure something, something has to be wrong with the person.
Well, how about people who are born deaf? There are those in the deaf culture that are against cochlear implants (which allow the deaf to hear) because they say there is "nothing wrong" with people being deaf. Are they right or are they wrong? Would you say the same about the blind community? What about the cancer community?

Old 07-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
South Park explored this topic a few years ago........

Started with Mr. Garrison getting a Vaginoplasty, Kyle getting an Negroplasty, and Kyle's dad getting a Dolphoplasty........ Hysterical episode.

Couldn't let that slide, its South Park.

(Hope I'm right and he isn't, man I'd sound a douche!)
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2007, 11:36 PM   #10
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
Quote:
I just read this article about an 18 year old girl who thinks she's a boy trapped in a mans body. Today's "solution" for this is to cut her up and give her male genitalia and hormones.

What if she felt like she was a dog trapped in a human body? Why don't we do everything we can to turn her into a dog?

What are the differences between these two psychosis?

Scuzzy
Because the genetic differences between male and female is incredibly razor thin in therms of humans, closer than the genetic differences between humans and other animals, even when that differentation is not far off.

next question.
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
Because the genetic differences between male and female is incredibly razor thin in therms of humans, closer than the genetic differences between humans and other animals, even when that differentation is not far off.

next question.
Incorrect, we could give the girl the physical appearance of a dog fairly easily. Yes, it would be more surgery then giving her male genitalia and facial hair, but it could be done just the same.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Incorrect, we could give the girl the physical appearance of a dog fairly easily. Yes, it would be more surgery then giving her male genitalia and facial hair, but it could be done just the same.

Well that's the thing here. Physical apperance is one thing, but actualy changing a sex is another. In any adult case it's thoroughly pointless to change sexes. In that circumstance you're right it's just a change to the way they look.

But the way we look can really impact our lives. Psycosis aside, if making a man look like a women will make that man live a much easier life then it's a good surgery. It certianly gets messed up when you really get into it. A "woman in a man's body" isn't going to feel like they can be intimate as a man, and has a better chance at love and intimacy as a trans gender person. Beyond that though, there's the oddity of the change in pleasure

Without going into to detail, perhaps the feeling of being a woman with a man, is so much more appealing to this person that the feeling of being a man with a man, that the surgery helps.

I'm not saying it isn't strange, or weird. But to compare it to wanting to be transformed into a dog is wrong. A human cannot function as a dog. They can however function as a woman and a man. A transgender person isn't less of a person, nor are they un able to perform tasks necesary to living life. The change will only make them feel better when they look in the mirror. Whereas being a dog may make them happy when they look in the mirror, but they wont be able to function at any real job.

As far as implying the homosexuality is something that can be "cured" ... I think those who truely believe that are sick. It is not a desease, nor is it a malfunction. Animals in nature exhibit the same tendancies, and humans have demonstrated homosexuality since their creation however you may believe it happened. It's apart of life, and apart of nature. Sex is desinged for pro-creation, yes, however, it has other benefits and other purposes. Beyond that, even if you don't agree with that, or don't see it. You have to realise that a homosexual is not less than human, or different than a human being. That is simply the way that they are. I bet if you asked them if they thought they should be cured they would tell you no fucking way. Just because there are people in this world that cannot understand another's lifestyle doesn't mean that those lifestyles are wrong. It simply means, that at this point in time, the ignorant people are the majority, and the ones in power.

..sorry fo rmy rant. I don't know how much of this makes sense, but ask questions and I'll explain. I'm at work so I'm trying to kill time. haha.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #13
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

I want to make something clear here. I have not stated that homosexual people are any less human then other people. I have also steered very clear of the religious aspects of this, because I do not believe any common ground could be made on that matter. I believe homosexuals are just as human as heterosexuals are. I also do not believe that homosexuality, or the "drive" that homosexuals feel towards those of their own sex is inherently a conscience choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
Homosexuality isn't a disease, a form of psychosis, a choice, or anything like that.
I understand that homosexuality occurs in nature, but both in nature and in mankind wouldn't you say that it is, on some level, caused by a physical abnormality that causes the hormonal/mental condition?

Old 07-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #14
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
Debates are gay.
there's nothing here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
I want to make something clear here. I have not stated that homosexual people are any less human then other people. I have also steered very clear of the religious aspects of this, because I do not believe any common ground could be made on that matter. I believe homosexuals are just as human as heterosexuals are. I also do not believe that homosexuality, or the "drive" that homosexuals feel towards those of their own sex is inherently a conscience choice.

I understand that homosexuality occurs in nature, but both in nature and in mankind wouldn't you say that it is, on some level, caused by a physical abnormality that causes the hormonal/mental condition?
While I quoted you at the beginning I didn't mean to direct all of that post at you. I don't/didn't think that you felt that homosexuality was a disease, but it was mentioned by others. Sorry if that's how it was interpreted.

Abnormality by definition I would say yes I do believe that. In the sense that statistically speaking there are less homosexuals than there are heterosexuals and therefore, it is not the norm for people to be that way. However, "normal" to me is not a condition of which the deviant should be ridiculed, or deemed "sick/in need of 'curing.'"
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote