Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
Fragimus_Max

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
The Beginning Of A New Era

As I reached about my 8th hour playing Fortress Forever, it hit me...

TFC is now officially dead.

I mean there were a few really good servers up (and still are), but Fortress Forever has far surpassed my expectations in terms of providing a Source version of TFC - and TF2 will be a different experience altogether.

Needless to say, with the number of players and good servers dwindling, it was only a matter of time that it got "phased out" - but I'm extremely happy with what you guys have given us. There was obviously a lot of hard work put into it and it's very much appreciated by guys like me who were, at one time, 12+ hour/day TFC fanatics.

A lot of speculation is going around as to whether or not FF will survive the unveiling of TF2 - and I can really see FF being used for league play more than TF2.

Thanks again. I'm awaiting 2Fort and Rock2 with baited breath.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Sabre
Creg

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
It was phased out ages ago lots of people just wouldn't accept it
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
TFC has not entirely faded out yet, it still has time.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
ajniN

Yea you still have the people with 8 year computers playing TFC. Not everyone has or wants to buy a computer to run source on.
ajniN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajniN
Yea you still have the people with 8 year computers playing TFC. Not everyone has a computer to run source on.
fixed. :P
Industry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Fragimus_Max

TFC has actually been alive and well - albeit with fewer servers available. I've been playing up until now, and I have a great system. Plus, you don't need 289283 servers to play a good session of TFC - just one good server.

Quote:
It was phased out ages ago lots of people just wouldn't accept it
Not true. There was nothing that ever replaced TFC or phased it out.

Games like DoD and CS became more popular than TFC because they were slower paced and marketed better which took a large chunk of the TFC player base (mostly people who were getting their asses handed to them in TFC.) Bots flooded servers also became a nuisance, so a few players I knew went off to play Natural Selection - which is also way too underrated.

I would play TFC over DoD:S or CS:S anyday - and those use the Source engine for their graphics. It's the GAMEPLAY that I'm interested in... not particularly the graphics. That's why when something like FF comes along, it's a real treat.

As it stands right now, FF is the most fun I've had playing a mod/conversion since playing TFC.

So... The King Is Dead, All Hail The King. Let FF live as long a life as it's predecessor, and may it's maps be plentiful.

Last edited by Fragimus_Max; 09-16-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
Jifcuits

Uninstalled tfc/hl today
Jifcuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
Sligh

TFC was indeed a lot of fun, but I feel like no one is giving credit where credit is due. QWTF started it all, and i don't think i've ever had more fun playing a game as when i was playing the original TF for Quake. My grades in college suffered severely due to that game. But, THAT was where it all started, and I feel as though a lot of the "feel" of TF was lost in TFC, but I have to say I've found a happy medium with FF.

FF provides the more medium paced gameplay of the original TF without the incessent spamming TFC brought. TFC, to me, felt clunkier, heavier, while FF feels fluid. While I'm not sure what TF2 will bring to the community, I know a lot of die-hard TF'ers and TFC'ers out there that can't imagine a game without gren1's and gren2's.

Plus, it has a better price than TF2.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

TFC Better not die until I finish building my new computer so I can play FF right. But, I must agree, the amount of people that were filling servers aren't, the server I admin on Chaos 2fort tho, has never been better. We've been full everyday since FF's release. But yeah, I'm pretty sure Valve might shut off the main TFC servers like they're doing Tribes once TF2 has a few months out.
StatisticZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
Thief
Super SPY

Send a message via AIM to Thief
this mod is amazing
Thief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #11
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [StatisticZ]
But yeah, I'm pretty sure Valve might shut off the main TFC servers like they're doing Tribes once TF2 has a few months out.
Can they actually shut down servers that people are paying money for? They dropped support for the game years ago....and there are still a lot of decent servers out there.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Class/Position: Sniper, Defensive
Gametype: Capture Point
Affiliations: Unguilded
Send a message via AIM to Thor-Stryker Send a message via Yahoo to Thor-Stryker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Can they actually shut down servers that people are paying money for? They dropped support for the game years ago....and there are still a lot of decent servers out there.
Theres no main server to shut off. Unlike Tribes, TFC doesnt have built in mail and server browsing/irc client.
Thor-Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote