Old 09-16-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Plea to the Community

After a nice little conflict on another server, I wish to make a request to the community.

Keep the elitism out. There are many new players to the game, and like another member has stated, there are too many elitist players who flame out those who ask questions. Hell, asking about meds on D on Odin's Graveyard (if the admin who banned me is reading this, I wasn't aware that yard D was bannable), I got chewed out and flamed, and called a moron. My appologies for not knowing the top league players for TFC, as I havn't followed leagues in a long time, and only then, I just played for {kTp} from time to time.

If you're one of those people who flames those who ask "stupid questions," please work on your attitude. FF is in the crucial stages of building a community base, and helping to revive Fortress gameplay (TF2 will also be a major piece in the puzzle, but together they'll work best). When people come on asking questions and get flamed out to no end because they don't know how to drop a flag, they get a negative impression, and judge the community based on it. And you know what?

Except for hardcore leaguers and trickjumpers, TFC is dead. There are no new players, only regs on various pubs. One thing that's keeping people from getting into it is the elitism existing in it today. Please keep it confined to that. Fortress Forever has a large amount of potential, but as a community game, it's up to the community to decide how long it should live.

Tl;dr: Drop the elitism kthxbai.

PS I'm aware of the other thread on this, but it doesn't seem to be getting across to other people. Merge/delete/lock/whatever if you see fit, O Mighty Moderators/Devs.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
ajniN

Agreed, I put up a server and have been playing in it. It's a good server and full yet a lot of the players are extremely rude. I'm new to TFC/FF I haven't played it more than 10 hours between both games yet. I don't know how to do well with anything but soldier/sniper so far. I get so many rude comments and slams it's annoying.

So much hate from obvious long time players kind of disappointing was hoping to get in early on a new game. So if you're one them chill the hell out and let others enjoy the damn game already.
ajniN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
BlazerX
My hat...IS AWESOME!!!!

I remember when I actively played TFC years ago - my class was the HW. Imagine the ridicule I got from elitists.

Although the ridicule usually came because they getting get past me no matter how hard they tried, which gave me a giggle.
BlazerX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Kao

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Indeed, elitists need to go straight to hell and stay there. It's possible to be good at a game without being a prick.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
TFC isn't dead goddamnit.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

I wholeheartedly agree. Right now, FF is a fledgling game with a lot of new players -- the last thing I want to see is people turned away because of intolerant server admins & flamers.

Now, I'm not saying that people aren't free to moderate their servers however they wish, but bear in mind the consequences. If you want a strong community and lots of players, then you need to be friendly towards the player base. Banning or abusing players for whatever reason is totally counter-productive. This goes for clanning, too. If you want lots of clans, clans don't come from thin air. The strength of the public side of the game fuels the clan scene. Without healthy public servers, clanning won't thrive. You end up with a stagnant scene featuring recycled players & clans.

At the moment, I really am not keen on seeing too many clan style servers that feature loads of rules -- it is unintuitive for new players to be told they cannot do x, y or z when the game mechanics allow it to take place. If you must run a server in this style, then be as tolerant as possible. Same deal for players in general -- be as helpful as possible, please.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
Kao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
At the moment, I really am not keen on seeing too many clan style servers that feature loads of rules -- it is unintuitive for new players to be told they cannot do x, y or z when the game mechanics allow it to take place. If you must run a server in this style, then be as tolerant as possible. Same deal for players in general -- be as helpful as possible, please.
Agreed. Fairly ridiculous to have such servers public this early in the game. The mod is but a few days old. Servers like that have no place being publicly available yet.

Someone totally new to Fortress joins a game and attempts to learn it and gets told he's a useless piece of shit and to go fook off somewhere... what the hell are the chances he's going to continue playing such a game?

Old 09-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
somehow though, i dont think these elitist twats have the balls to post here..

Old 09-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
summit

It's really comforting to see so many prominent figures against such elitest attitudes - makes people like me who didn't really ever get into TFC get along so much easier
summit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
rebo

Agree with the original poster! Newbies are the life blood of any game.
rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
Schmuck
Comic Relief

Send a message via MSN to Schmuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Keep the elitism out. There are many new players to the game, and like another member has stated, there are too many elitist players who flame out those who ask questions.
Damn right, and I couldn't have written it better myself.

If we want to keep the games alive this time around, we also need to all be mindful of how we treat newer players in general.

We can't expect newer people to have the years of clan experience and hard-out matches that a lot of us have experienced over just-about a decade. Whether it be pugs or pub servers, I am just really happy the Fortress genre is alive and well.
Schmuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #12
Thormier

And also if you see people picking on people in game stick up for them and tell them there doing nothing wrong
Thormier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
yeah, would be good. i think complaining in the forums about it falls on deaf ears, or no ears at all.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #14
Unknownfigure

I am not an "Elitist", but it's more like, a TFC Vet with Elitist pet peeves, though I don't type out my frustration, I use it as fuel to pwn the enemy. For example, I hate being AR sniped in Hunted. What do I do about that? I certainly dont call them a crusty cumstain on my computer screen and tell them to "gtfo" or to "log out of life, nub." I instead go Soldier, rjump, and kill the False Skill. Benefits me because in my head, I hear "Hah! If you just sniped me like you were supposed to, I couldn't have landed so close to you and you might have been able to kill me!", and it benefits my team because that area is -1 more sniper to be clear.

I'm never rude to the little newbies, because I know that someday, that little newbie I could have picked on might run the best and biggest FF server, and if he remembers me as the guy that picked on him, he could just ban me on the spot, and just like that, I would be banned from the biggest and best FF server! But, I don't take kindly to rudeness against me. At all. Disrespecting me in a Fortress game is prohibited. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again. If the flames start flowing, I can disarm the faggot almost immediatly and he/she will either A)Shut the fuck up and just play, B)Leave the Server, or in extreme cases, C)I apologize and ask for the individuals email address to "chat later", upon recieving of the email address, I exit the game and send the faggot a mail bomb. I re-enter the game and if he/she is still there, I tell them to check their inbox. Lulz proceed as I exit the server.

But yeah. I treat the lil' newbies like kids. If they fuck up and cause me to die, I just say "lol"

I have to stop posting because I don't remember what I just posted, mostly because I just got finished doing a Wake'N'Bake.

Edit: The elitist fags have to remember the time they FIRST played TFC, and the old crowd back then. In those days, I remember almost everyone being really cool with me, and when I would fuck up, they would help me out and shit. And I'm talking back in '99-'02. We all just gotta be cool and help EVERYONE out, so we can hurry up and start having some real skillful, archaic fun.

Last edited by Unknownfigure; 09-16-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Unknownfigure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #15
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownfigure
...drug induced rant....
I think you just unwittingly made an anti-drug PSA.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
Scorpio

Quote:
Hell, asking about meds on D on Odin's Graveyard (if the admin who banned me is reading this, I wasn't aware that yard D was bannable).

LOL WHO WOULDA GUESSED ODINS WOULD START BANNING PEOPLE RIGHT AWAY. trance if you see this, please move chodins into FF, thanks love.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #17
LeMaltor

Quote:
I wasn't aware that yard D was bannable)
Cool, it's like being back at school, you are learning all the time

Old 09-16-2007, 04:07 PM   #18
Nest

It's funny how the same people that accelerated the death of TFC (by making new players, however few there were, as unwelcome as possible) are already trying to kill off FF.

I'd like to see the elitist, retarded, [] culture servers stick a password on to eliminate any possibility of new players to the game being exposed to them. I'm sure you'll have no problems distributing the password in your circle-jerking IRC rooms.

I was on one such server for 10 minutes the other day and in that space of time saw 3 obviously brand new players trying out the mod get derided and booted off the server for not conforming to stupid jaded rules of how the game should be played.

TF2 is coming, you should be embracing every single new player we get for FF - please don't be so shortsighted!

Oh and that Unknownfigure guy that posted is a prime example of those morons I was talking about - funny how the only thing stopping him from being a bigger moron is the slim chance that person he ridicules might be a server admin somewhere else. I WILL EMAIL BOMB U LOLZ
Nest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #19
MikeFed

Some players prefer to play in a controlled match environment, to see how ff stands up to tfc in the respect if nothing else. Server owners are entitled to run a server however they like. If you stumble across one of these servers then either abide by the rules or leave, it's the same as any other server.

Saying that, I agree completely with the comments made, the game has just been released, and people should be courtious to new players and tell them politely to move server or whatever. Not really likely though, there's always people like that in games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
TFC isn't dead goddamnit.
Agreed!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #20
rebo

Quote:
Some players prefer to play in a controlled match environment, to see how ff stands up to tfc in the respect if nothing else.
Yup but this can be done in a gather, scrim or friendly. Personally the best idea would be for these servers to have passwords that are reasonably well known. I must concur with Nest that this type of stuff can really hurt a mod in its first few weeks.
rebo is offline   Reply With Quote