Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 09-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
STEAM update causing errors?

Well, It looks like the FF issues are actually STEAM issues induced by STEAM updates the night before FF out. (personal opinion)

It makes me wonder if we are giving Valve a HUGE "heads-up" on problems they will face Monday too. If I were them, I'd sure look at the FF problems and try to find out how they will relate to the TF2 release. *edit - Mods use Source SDK Base and TF2 will not. So TF2 will not be affected. So much for that moment of Karma.

ALL of the issues below are in Source games other than FF. To me, it sure seems that the recent STEAM updates have caused the issues. The STEAM forums have many ppl with the same issues as those playing FF.

Quote:
Steam Run rediculously slow Ever since

Ever since I downloaded the orange box and pre installed team fortress 2 and I also downloaded older games that i owned like DOD source etc... steam has been running really slow. Other games work great like WOW but if I run steam my computer practically freezes to the point I have to shut it off and restart it. Any Ideas? thanks.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=597958

Quote:
Steam FPS/INTERNET PROBLEM
First Problem: I got Verizon FiOS around 2 months ago and I get a speed of 20M all the time , but when I play CSS and i try to join a server the server info popups and shows a latency of 2000 and I can't join any server. At one point this problem stopped after I configured some stuff like cl_cmdrate 20 (not sure if that really fixed it or it was a coincidence), but a new problem started.

2nd problem:I have a 6600gt agp8x, i used to play CSS with 60 fps in 1280 resolution with setting on high/medium but now I can't even play on 640res with dxlevel 70 on AND with casey's config. I get around 30fps and 15 or lower when I meet an enemy. I realized SKYPE or Ventrilo was lagging me. But I still get around 30 fps or 40 after turning off Skype or Vent.

Soon after the update for that STEAM community thing, I started getting my "FIRST PROBLEM" where I can't join any server due to high latency. Sometimes waiting awhile lets me join the server but while I wait, I noticed when I minimized CSS and tried browsing the internet, nothing worked. Seemed like my internet was shut down even though all lights on my router/modem were all on.

edit: I went to different website trying to figure out if my gfx driver was up to date, such as driver agent or even STEAM. STEAM sometimes say my driver is not up to date and driver agent says it is, then I download something else and STeam says its up to date and driveragent says it isn't. Either way my fps results were the same.

Also my was nearly 100 in the video stress test but playing online is the problem.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=597546

Quote:
my games randomly drop their fps from max to 10-20
Yeah like maybe 15 minutes into any game (cs 1.6, cs source, dod: source, tfc) it just drops from max to like 10-20 (max is like anywhere between 40-200 depending on what map and what game). I haven't drastically changed my system or anything.

What can I do to stop this?
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=591693

Quote:
Well so long for a while unless...
Well I like to play Half-Life game mode. Since the update on the 12th I am unable to load steam. I am using Windows 98. But I want to play Half-Life. I am not gonna be able to get another computer for a couple of months. Is there anyway I can play Halflife without Steam. I can't even get offline mode. It goes to the Steam Update part gets 99% then says Unable to Connect to Steam Network:Check your Internet Connection, top says Steam Error. My internet is running fine. If anyone can help that would be great. -Rich
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=597749

Quote:
Sup all, have this problem... started around update.
Hey........ Because of this update, my CS:S has been really f-up.... I mean when i get in a server and start playing my ping will jump to 1000 and/or my fps will drop to 1-10.... I am like wtf......... This all started after my steam updated... Also.. i tried removing everything!!!!!!!! ( uninstalling ) and reinstalling everything... Didn't work.... it made things worse, on how it looks....

I am running a Duel core 3.2....
Duel 1650 xt
4 gb of ram.....

This shouldn't be doing this in any fashion...

Also annoying bugs i have found..

Steam.exe KYLE*********** 00 187,887 K <<<___ WTF!!!

Steam what r u running in the back ground that needs over 100 MB!!!!

<<<< THIS IS WITH NO GAMES RUNNING< AFTER A RESTART OF A COMPUTER!!!>>>>>>>

And also it seems that steam has been sending personal information or something, because my connection to my broadband is going crazy when ever steam is running.. I know it is not updating because nothing saids it is and when ever i play source... it always runs...

My firewall tells me how much is being received and sent out....

In 10 Min steam sent out over 389,448 K.........
In 10 min Steam received over 11k..... NOW WTF>>> I AM NOT Downloading, i am uploading.....

DOES ANY OnE SEE THE PROBLEM WITH THAT???

And No virus...
And No Spy ware
No hackers...
Just a program with to much in it to run the game. Come on people... we don't need 300000 different ways to talk to a friend..... Just have it so it runs right, with little to no mem use and little to no cpu use and we will be happy!!!!
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=597913

Quote:
None of my games are loading anymore
Whenever I try and launch a game it launches, then closes.

With CS it shows the menu screen (the pic of the two CT's) then closes
With CoD2 the screen goes black then it closes
With Deus Ex I get an error message

Everything was fine a couple of days ago. I am using the same PC, nothings been changed.

Any ideas?
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=597382

Quote:
hl2 games not starting
Ever since the latest steam update a few days ago I've been having problems.

When I start a hl2 based game (CS:S, HL2 or any mod) it normally doesn't start. The weird thing is that sometimes (1/20 times maybe) it actually does start and there isn't really any pattern to it. I have tried restarting steam and it makes no difference.

The game won't start but the hl2.exe process is running, and I have to end it and try again approximately 15-20 times before the game starts.

This has only been happening since the update including the friends overlay thing.

It's nothing to do with firewalls because I've tried with ZoneAlarm off and on.Same with XFire.

Please help this is very inconvenient.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=597973

Last edited by 4est; 09-17-2007 at 02:55 PM.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Wow... 137 Views and not even the resident forum whore responds.

/me waves to Circ
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #3
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I didn't feel a need to.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I didn't feel a need to.
Thank god, if Circ hadn't posted, I would have known this wasn't worth my time =D. But yes, I found myself talking shit to Steam Admins in one of them threads -- it was fun.
StatisticZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
srelysian

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
This topic might change a bit today, I woke up this morning to find steam updates, most of which include fixes for FPS drops due to the community/friends system they implimented. So apparently, they are working on the problem. I haven't seen this "drastic" fps drop everyone else seems to be getting, I dunno, my computer isn't that badass either.

2.0ghz Sempron (socket 754)
Biostar NF4 4X-A7 mobo
PNY Verto gforce 8600gt (pci-e/256m ram)
2gig of Crucial ram (1g*2/ddr400)
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #6
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
HL2 EP1 crashed every 30 seconds for me when I was tried it after the update... I haven't tried it since I disabled community.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
fucking valve, not testing things before they release. dumbasses.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote