Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
XBlank

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
So what exactly did ya'll expect? FF is already dying.

It's kind of frustrating that about 2-3 weeks ago, I and a few others make posts regarding the promotion of Fortress Forever being the only way that this game will survive the colossal marketing machine that TF2 already is (just saw a TV ad today) and some people are like "hmm yeah thats true! good idea lets do something". Yet I don't hear a single word from any of the developers who spent long hours making this game about how they actually planned to get people to play it.

Now seriously, I know you guys didn't just make this game for it to die out in a few months, but it's pretty obvious that that's exactly what's going to happen if something isn't done soon to bring more attention to this game. There are less servers every day, and when TF2 gets released, most people who play this game are going to flock right to it because it's going to be so much easier to find a populated and happening server.

I run a 9v9 clan, and we're currently signed up for STA FF, but a few of my guys have already been asking me if/when we're going to move over to TF2 because the clan scene was dead before it even got started. This is not what I wanted to hear, nor what I wanted to do, but if there is no official promotion effort supported and assisted by the developers, there will be no league scene for this game and the hard work done by the development team have been pretty much meaningless.

Please, please find some conduits to make this game known. Advertising will not force people to play, but it will at least raise awareness of the game's existence. Why is there no donation button on the Fortress Forever site? Why are there no banners on popular gaming sites to advertise this game? Let's try and bring a little growth to this game before it fizzles out and classic fortress gameplay is lost forever to the slow and monotonous gameplay of TF2.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
tu!

honesty i find tfc more fun right now. coming from tfc i find ff way to slow paced. waiting for crysis/fronlines:fuels of war/cod4. really just need a bf2 clone w/ good gfx w/o ea involved lol.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
Adalore

Of course the numbers shift with time, and the team is not leaving it in the dirt.

Most of the players currently on it are playing it as it is a good mod.

The tournaments will also spread awareness, maybe the people playing TFC will upgrade and join us on the greener grass. and... with every game update it will also get posted onto the news of Sites of Planethalflife and ect.

but that doesn't mean we ought to just stand by, playing the game every once in a while and let it go it's course, make posts in forums and such, but make sure they are a deferent site then this.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
paranoidkirb

Class/Position: O/D Pyro
Gametype: Invade and Defend
Send a message via AIM to paranoidkirb Send a message via MSN to paranoidkirb Send a message via Yahoo to paranoidkirb Send a message via Skype™ to paranoidkirb
I'm trying to get my friends to play, but I'm not having a very easy time as I crash constantly as I try to show them.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #5
Adalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidkirb
I'm trying to get my friends to play, but I'm not having a very easy time as I crash constantly as I try to show them.
You may need to update your video driver, that ought to help, It did when I updated mine a few days ago.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:44 AM   #6
Mike.Gayner

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalore
maybe the people playing TFC will upgrade and join us on the greener grass.
TFC players have resisted upgrading for this long for whatever reason, I dont see them upgrading simply to play TFC:S. Which is exactly why myself and other begged the FF team to change the mod to be less like the dead (yes, dead) TFC. They should have made class changes, removed bunny hopping, introduced new weapons and idea, etc. But instead they emulated a mod that's dead, dooming their mod to failure. Sad, but true.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #7
Mike.Gayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalore
You may need to update your video driver, that ought to help, It did when I updated mine a few days ago.
LOL yes, the magic panacea that is updated video drivers - any time you ever bring up a technical issue on a forum, the solution is always 'update your video drivers'. Sadly, that only works for retards who were too stupid to figure that out for themselves, which is fewer and fewer these days.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
Beavis

It's almost dead now in Australia, there used to be 40 strong players on about 10 servers for a week or two now you'll be lucky to find even 4 or 5 people anymore. When playing TFC people are still saying, "What's fortress-forever? huh?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner
LOL yes, the magic panacea that is updated video drivers - any time you ever bring up a technical issue on a forum, the solution is always 'update your video drivers'. Sadly, that only works for retards who were too stupid to figure that out for themselves, which is fewer and fewer these days.
Actually that solution does work, it worked for me and I wouldn't exactly call myself a "computer retard".

Old 10-07-2007, 01:01 AM   #9
tu!

wtf mike..."remove bhop"

ff is so fucken slow paced already...how fucken slow can you possibly get?!

Old 10-07-2007, 01:08 AM   #10
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

slow paced? TF2 is slow paced, FF is faster than TFC, truly.

Also, IBTL

Old 10-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #11
derfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidkirb
Tried uninstalling your virus software?

Worked for me.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #12
tu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur
slow paced? TF2 is slow paced, FF is faster than TFC, truly.

Also, IBTL
nah it's not...110% vs 170% is a huge dif. and no i don't care about the faster walk speeds.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #13
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

yeah seriously, i like the movement additions like conc skimming and easier rampsliding, but movement doesnt feel right at all

Old 10-07-2007, 01:18 AM   #14
fmpfmp

Quote:
honesty i find tfc more fun right now. coming from tfc i find ff way to slow paced. waiting for crysis/fronlines:fuels of war/cod4. really just need a bf2 clone w/ good gfx w/o ea involved lol.
Are you kidding? TFC is much more slow than FF. The FF action speed is better, it's more fast paced.

Well, if you see the free list mods at Steam home page Fortress Forever don't be there. This attitude show that Valve is bothered with FF launch, at least with old TFC players, at my opinion.

Last edited by fmpfmp; 10-07-2007 at 01:30 AM.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:20 AM   #15
onDuBz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojo
but movement doesnt feel right at all

Old 10-07-2007, 01:37 AM   #16
SME
Damn lazy bastard

I think that FF is far better suited for league play than TF2. TF2 needs more options to be a serious game, imo. Once the SDK is updated and 3rd parties fix some of the problems, it may become more suitable. YMMV.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:41 AM   #17
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
patch is getting jizzed on as we speak!

seriously though, if FF is a failure, then there's yet to be a successful HL2 third party mod. to date it's in my eyes the most successful to be released.

while i'm here, i'm giving serious kudos to the PVK II team. thats one awesome mod right there!

Old 10-07-2007, 01:51 AM   #18
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
patch is getting jizzed on as we speak!

seriously though, if FF is a failure, then there's yet to be a successful HL2 third party mod. to date it's in my eyes the most successful to be released.

while i'm here, i'm giving serious kudos to the PVK II team. thats one awesome mod right there!
Wash your hands...and link it damnit. (is there a changelog yet?)

Old 10-07-2007, 01:54 AM   #19
Beavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME
(is there a changelog yet?)

Old 10-07-2007, 01:57 AM   #20
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis