Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Dirky

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
FF Suggestions

I have been a long time TFC player over the years, I tried FF when it came out, lasted one week, also tried in a later patch, failed to appeal to me. I tried again recently and actually had some fun in pubs, and have played in a few pickups since then.

To be brutally honest, I don't think this game has much of a chance to improve the community with these fixes coming too late, but I still think you may beable to squeeze a little bit more of the TFC community thats left.(Yes I know it isn't much, but TFC pickup still out numbers FF pickup)

Some suggestions, I know alot of you will disagree that's fine, but here is some insight I think alot of other players might agree with me on. I think the bhop speed is a little bit too fast still, I'm not thinking on part of difficulty to hit them but more on balancing offense compared to defense... Or instead of that removing jump pads, I know they dissapear but those things can go along way in making offense 10 times easier, saves a conc in most situations, even two if you are running two scouts. Maybe make the jump pads not invincible... All these together makes it entirely too easy to make 12314213123 runs a pickup.

Another suggestion is to decrease the damage range of demos pipes, and at the same time fix flag grab box.. I can fly 5 feet above it and grab it, seriously needs some work. I also noticed I get body blocked when the guy doesnt even look remotely close to me.

That's really the only things I have a beef with, I don't like that bhop is bascially done for you holding down space bar easy mode, but I do understand the logic behind it to make the learning curve easier for new players.

All of my suggestions are pretty much focused around competitive play, but I did hear alot of people bitching in pubs about the stuff I mentioned.

Just my two cents, I am liking the game though right now, its just to bad I think its a little too late to save the community. Just to be clear I'm suggesting these changes for a more balanced game, I don't want the game to be exactly like tfc, its already really different in alot of ways. Those are just the things that bug me the most, which isnt alot so FF has come along way sense release. Keep up the good work.
Dirky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier D
Affiliations: Goodfellas
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
you say its too late to save the community.. i understand what you are saying but the way FF is right now is not much different than it was 2 years ago the only time FF was really not good enough to play was when it first came out and that lasted for a couple months but once that first patch was released there was a ton of people playing FF there was even a league that lasted a while. i think u might just have been away from the game until now and u think it just recently became a good game but that is not the case. its been an awesome game for atleast 2 years more like 2.5 years
CHURCHMOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Dirky

I think ive played at least an hour of each patch, the couple times I was reffering to is that I could play it longer than a couple of hours and not quit. However you may be right, maybe I came in with a different insight since I don't play TFC as heavily as I have in the past anymore which probably was affecting my mind set on the game. But never the less I think the suggestions I made above about balancing is a must for this game.

The reason this game didn't make it in the first place is because people rather play a 10 year old balanced game than a new and shiny unbalanced game.

I've had talks about FF with numerous TFC players that play FF, they are just like you saying the game has been fun from the beginning, that's great for you guys. But there is thousands of TFC players that gave up on FF and disagree with you. I'm sorry but numbers don't lie.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Don't be sorry. It's the truth. I think I can get away with telling you that the jump pad is being reworked a bit in the Beta. The original idea behind it was to promote teamwork(which it does do), and give the players with concs a chance to hold onto one, to use it for something other than a movement bonus(which is screw up an opponants targetting).

I agree with you on the bhop... I think it's slightly fast as well. I don't know if anything is going to change on it, however.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier D
Affiliations: Goodfellas
i think bhop needs to be faster not slower why take a step in the slow direction
keep this game fast because that is a selling point
CHURCHMOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I agree with you on the bhop... I think it's slightly fast as well. I don't know if anything is going to change on it, however.
Bhop was already hard capped and your still saying its too fast?
say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
KoRniLLiAn.LG
D&A Member

Class/Position: soldier O or D..doesn't matter
Affiliations: none..but hope to join one someday
well....i have no
power over the way the game is set up now...i would however love to see a few things from TFC brought over to the FF world...they are:

sniper:FLASH NADES....that would be awesome
engineer: teleportal's...miss those...and with the faster pace of FF over TFC they would help improve defending the flag against super fast scouts and medics...that is all

Last edited by KoRniLLiAn.LG; 01-05-2011 at 02:41 PM.
KoRniLLiAn.LG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
JackBauer

Posts Rated Helpful 20 Times
I really don't like the bhop in FF.

On one hand, it's not really skill anymore, since you just have to press a button. on the other hand, you still have to do something "special" to use that function.

I don't like that hybrid solution. Imo it should be either skillful like in TFC or free for all -> increase general speed - replace normal walking speed with bhop speed, so everyone kinda bhops by default.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
DarkieJ

I watched the 2.1 update movie again and i have a question, Why didnt you guys added the sound what is played with the spy-sentry sonar in the game? Its really cool when you sg is being hacked
http://trepid.net/
at 4:00
DarkieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
-mooney-
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 34 Times
auto-jump

you know you can disable auto-jump, just type cl_jumpqueue 1 in console :P
-mooney- is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #11
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkieJ View Post
I watched the 2.1 update movie again and i have a question, Why didnt you guys added the sound what is played with the spy-sentry sonar in the game? Its really cool when you sg is being hacked
You mean why did we? because we did. It happens whenever a cloaked spy is nearby.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #12
Lynus
I like Ceyx
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Send a message via AIM to Lynus
he's talkin about the jaws music that was put int here by whoever made that video.

who is the OP's alias in #tfc.pickup - just curious is all

i think after 2.42(which should be released soon) the core game will be complete. im really satisfied with everything that is going on in the beta.

i encourage anyone who has played tfc to try FF, even if they've already tried it. the game has come a long way since release, and deserves a second or even third look by anyone who loves team fortress. and while you're here, try some competitive pickup action. the pickup community is small but we manage to play pickups nearly every night. prime time is around 8pm - 11pm EST.

info on pickups: www.ffpickup.com
irc.gamesurge.net (US)
#ff.pickup
irc.quakenet.org (Euro)
#ff.pickup

Last edited by Lynus; 01-06-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Lynus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
Dirky

I think my irc alias is dirky, I don't really get on irc unless im going to play a pickup.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
JackBauer

Posts Rated Helpful 20 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkieJ View Post
that link is awesome. wish we still had something like that going on.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #15
Jay Mofo Mills
Jay|mOfO|Mills
Beta Tester

Gametype: Snag the flag beotches
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
tfc was fun

Man, I loved tfc. I played only demoman for like 5 years. Then I played soldier, and engy. WOah man, then I fucking learned to conc. Hello medic! what a bad ass class. Got pretty good at spy. never played much HW though. To be honest, I was impressed with FF. It made certain classes easier. Added some things, jumppad, noob bhop. I wasn't really upset, especially because tf2 cut all of the ballsack off of Team fortress. but as dirky said, numbers don't lie. I don't get what's missing. I want to blame the player base- people who don't want to LEARN anything. LEARN to bhop. LEARN to conc jump. LEARN
Jay Mofo Mills is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
Jay Mofo Mills
Jay|mOfO|Mills
Beta Tester

Gametype: Snag the flag beotches
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
best I stop before I rage my computer into the ground. Loved TFC, Love FF.

Mills
Jay Mofo Mills is offline   Reply With Quote