Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 07-31-2006, 04:43 AM   #1
o_puppychow

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Help with Demoman (balc to balc pipe jump)

hi

i've always played solly, sniper and engie..

trying now to get good at demoman as i think its the toughest class to master...i cant seem to balc to balc pipe jump on 2fort...any tips?

also out of curiosity, has this been successfully done in ff during testing?
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Tip #1 : Balc-to-balc pipe jumping is not a crucial skill for a demoman.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
o_flyingcow

you would need 3 pipes, and have to det just as you are falling from the jump. thats if its possible. its a lot easier, and better to just use one pipe in the yard to get to balc.
o_flyingcow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
o_fresh

Running into an enemy base after taking 3 pipes up the arse wont make you much use anyway. That is unless your only goal is to spam spawn.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
o_smax

It is possible, like cow said, with 3 pipes. Ive gotten mad close with 2 (hit my head on the ledge ) so that might be possible as well.

O Demo is a brutal biz-natch on 2fort. That's one of the hardest maps to play O Demo on IMO. It blows a goat trying to fight the upper spiral solly with 60% health after that yard pipe. Even if you do go RR theres a solly/hw with the upper level advantage...AND THATS ONLY THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE! When/if you do get into the basement you have the bottom spiral solly, an sg, and the ele solly who lurks and helps the bottom spiral...oh and the emp happy engy.

Like I said, a brutal biz-natch.
o_smax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
o_ghost

Yea, I've done the balc to balc as a demo like the others have said with 3 pipes. However, it was more just fooling around to see if I could do it or not.

Any pipejump above 1 pipe generally causes the demo to die pretty soon after since it takes a lot of health and armor. The only time I really use 2 pipes for a jump in a match is playing O demo on epicenter (one of the best O demo maps imo). I do a pipejump from the lower enemy respawn door area with 2 pipes through the hole in the building in the middle and landing in front of the NPC. While in the air I have a mirv primed and chuck that at 1 of the sentries. I can usually chuck a second mirv at the other before getting killed. When it works it usually means anything around the NPC is dead.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
o_puppychow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiM

that wasnt the question ass...

i WANT to do it.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
o_smax

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
The only time I really use 2 pipes for a jump in a match is playing O demo on epicenter (one of the best O demo maps imo). I do a pipejump from the lower enemy respawn door area with 2 pipes through the hole in the building in the middle and landing in front of the NPC. While in the air I have a mirv primed and chuck that at 1 of the sentries. I can usually chuck a second mirv at the other before getting killed. When it works it usually means anything around the NPC is dead.
Word. I'll have try that jump. The way I clear that area is: Out of the top spawn door I hang a left and pipe over to the sniper area; go down that ladder, grab that pussy bag, and 2 pipe it over the fence with a mirv primed .

When the map favors it, O Demo is one of the funnest classes IMO. I agree with your epicenter bias too .

O Demo FTW.
o_smax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
o_ghost

That's my other route to cause massive devastation. It usually meets more resistance though since there's usually a soldier/hwguy in that area.

It's been forever since I've played epicenter in a match. One of my favorite league maps since it can get really intense in a close match.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
o_balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow

i WANT to do it.
Handbags at half paces
o_balls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 04:21 PM   #11
o_alligator

This thread belongs in the general discussion.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
o_uber

Quote:
trying now to get good at demoman?
Quote:
Quote:

If you're trying to get good at demonman like you say, then ekiM is right: doing a 3 pipe jump to get across a bridge which you can do with 1 pipe is retarded and will get you just the opposite of good at demoman.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 06:28 PM   #13
o_puppychow

ug...annoying people..

im overall trying to get good at demo. part of being good at demo is being a good pipe jumper, which i'm pretty average at right now. if i can learn how to do the more difficult jumps, the easier ones will be , well, easier..

you dont need three pipes to make it across..i brought this up as i was watching a guy do it all the time with one pipe.

no, it's not an essential move, but i'm a pubber - i enjoy the relaxed style of that game. and as well all know 2fort can get sniper spammy...the balc to balc manuver can wreak havoc, and its just fun too.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
o_lithium

uhh.... no. Being a good pipe jumper means jack , unless you want to run with the flag in matches, which is most of the time unlikely , get good with yellow pipes with your timing , try getting a better aim with blue pipes try to have a decent shotgun aim also.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 06:37 PM   #15
o_puppychow

for O demo it's v. important.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:40 PM   #16
o_lithium

Quote:
for O demo it's v. important.
no, it's not.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 06:40 PM   #17
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
http://www.lifeless.nl/tfc/demos/demo.zip

Happy?

I don't believe that it's possible with 1 pipe. It's quite possible with 2 but requires more accuracy than I can be bothered with. It's also less likely to succeed consistently. Basically do what I do in the demo but have the pipes exactly on one another and jump precisely to give yourself maximum horizontal boost.

Is pipe jumping an important demo skill? Well, yes, it is, both for defensive and offensive demo. If you can't do it you'll be reasonably disadvantaged. Is it important to be able to do jumps like 2fort balc to balc? No, not at all. You lose so much health that it's utterly impractical in 99.9% of situations.

Useful jumps to learn :

2mesa3 floor to flag (1 pipe).
well ramproom to attic (1 pipe).
various dustbowl jumps from jumppoints to cap (2 pipes usually).
schtop resupply to switch (1 pipe).
crossover2 pit to yard (1 pipe).

hmm and many others. The reason 2fort balc to balc is a hard jump is because the celing is so low. You can't let yourself go too high or you'll get deflected downwards. This simply isn't an issue in the vast majority of "real" jumps you'll use. Most real jumps are done with 1 pipe quite simply because there aren't that many situations where you need 2. Jumping with 2 (3 is the same as 2 but with less accuracy) leaves you with no health at all. The only situations I can think of where it is useful is if you have to make a huge jump upwards (can't think of any good examples... well floor to flag room maybe, but that's a pointless jump) or if you want to be moving very quickly a long horizontal distance. That is, on AvD maps to cap with the flag or in a situation where you just want to spam whatevers at the end with 2 mirvs before dying. The most useful and also most used jumps are done with 1 pipe. Learn those.

But pipe jumping isn't anywhere near important as green pipe deathmatching (controlling someone with the pipes), blue pipe aim, and of course spamming. Learn those, too.

Last edited by o_ekim; 07-31-2006 at 06:53 PM.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 06:45 PM   #18
o_puppychow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiuM
no, it's not.
fine. it's SUCKS.

happy?

now quit hijacking my thread.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:46 PM   #19
o_ghost

I think pipejumping is a pretty important skill for the O demoman. It allows you to attack from different areas instead of just using main routes. However, I think the pipejump I use the most is where you look down while running, fire a pipe, jump, and det the pipe. It results in a nice horizontal jump which is good for quickly getting by defenders in order to take out other things.

Of course DMing with your yellows is probably one of the most important skills of an O demo. Pipejumping just adds onto that.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:46 PM   #20
o_puppychow

Quote:
http://www.lifeless.nl/tfc/demos/demo.zip

Happy?

Oh and it's not possible with 1 pipe. It's quite possible with 2 but requires a hell of a lot more accuracy. Basically do what I do in the demo but have the pipes exactly on one another and jump precisely to give yourself maximum horizontal boost.
thx.

ill check it when i get home from work.