Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Tech (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Windows 8.1 (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=24288)

Dexter 10-19-2013 04:07 AM

Windows 8.1
 
Let this be a warning to any gamers considering upgrading, I had these problems:

1) Mouse polling rate is capped at 200Hz (everything I tried did not fix), might not be new to 8.1 but I haven't ran 8 in a while
2) MarkC mouse accel fix no longer worked

these combined made mouse input total poo poo. not to mention it is still windows 8

NeonLight 10-19-2013 04:18 AM

Is the MarkC fix not working in game or out of game? I know for example CS:GO you have to turn rawinput off for the fix to completely work

Dexter 10-19-2013 04:27 AM

both- I skipped games that support raw input, I only considered in games that implicitly turn enhance pointer precision on, but mouse movement recorder was showing crazy mismatches I never got on 7 both on the desktop and in older games, and it was a realllllly noticeable difference. maybe exaggerated by the lower polling rate. I didn't know that about csgo! I use really really low sens in that game so I have just been totally oblivious (also never play it RIP)

NeonLight 10-19-2013 04:33 AM

(you should play it it's really really good (even though it has drops + crates))

Dexter 10-19-2013 04:35 AM

cant tell if serious? I got into the crates a bit, trading a lot till I got an awp boom and sold it for $10 :/

Dexter 10-19-2013 04:38 AM

at any rate, I just reinstalled windows 7 on a SSD, time 2 own

NeonLight 10-19-2013 04:44 AM

I know cake just upgraded to 8.1, maybe he can shed some light

Dexter 10-19-2013 05:06 AM

TOO LATE NOW FUCK DAT

the_cake 10-19-2013 05:01 PM

I haven't upgraded lol. I stuck with 8 after reading the list of things 8.1 breaks atm. When (if) they iron those out I'll give it a shot. BTW the "Start Menu is back" thing is a troll attempt. It's like "click here to begin.." "JK NOW YOU'RE BACK IN METRO LOLZ RAGE SUCCESSFUL." I just use start8. It's 5 bucks and unbreaks about 80% of win8. The other 20% you can hack pretty easily with some googling.

Paft 10-19-2013 07:02 PM

StartIsBack is better. Start8 doesn't support custom themes last time I checked.

FDA_Approved 10-19-2013 07:23 PM

Custom themes, cuz I bought a barby doll instead of a computer.

the_cake 10-20-2013 01:49 AM

Yea there are a lot of start/shell replacements. There's even Classic Shell which is FOSS and allows you to skin the entire shell. I really just wanted something that brought functionality back, didn't feel buggy, and without tons of features I don't care about that could break something down the line.

Dexter 10-20-2013 06:11 AM

linux is the future


*spends two hours fixing flash after an update*

Paft 10-20-2013 01:14 PM

StartIsBack isn't buggy and feels fine. The version for 8 was code straight from 7 and didn't take up any resources. Dunno about the "+" version for 8.1.

Just an FYI.

the_cake 10-20-2013 04:08 PM

God I wish. When I think Linux desktop I think something fairly polished and obviously worked on for years. Then I look the other way and see every 3rd party programmer and manufacturer of commodity hardware/software holding their middle finger up. Sad really.

Paft 10-20-2013 07:20 PM

Maybe we'll all be on the Steam OS in the future.

ddm999 10-20-2013 07:22 PM

SteamOS. ITS THE FUTUREEEEEEEEEEEE

Paft 10-20-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDA_Approved (Post 501812)
Custom themes, cuz I bought a barby doll instead of a computer.

How can you stand default Windows themes? Every single visual style MS has produced asides from Classic has been god damn ugly.

Dexter 10-20-2013 10:28 PM

who cares!

FDA_Approved 10-20-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paft (Post 501846)
How can you stand default Windows themes? Every single visual style MS has produced asides from Classic has been god damn ugly.

Idk, I just don't pay it any attention.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.