Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Chat (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anime (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=3754)

o_tyrus 01-17-2006 01:01 AM

Anime
 
I'm a big fan of anime and in all the anime boards I participate in, I always see a "gaming" topic in their forums which is where I usually post about playing Team Fortress.

Anyways, I though it would be cool to swap it around and make an anime topic!

Do you watch anime? If so, which anime's are your favorite? Which anime's are your least favorite? And also, the most interesting of them all...which anime are you currently watching? You don't necessarily have to answer those questions. Just talk about anime, anything anime! :)

---------


I'll answer the last of the questions with, I am currently watching "Tsubasa Chronicles". Just started this one last night and I am hoping its good!

o_yomamashouse 01-17-2006 01:08 AM

The only anime I ever watched was pokemon and Dragon ball Z. I always thought DBZ was funny more than anything because the guys would spend about 5 hours arguing and pointing out how they were stronger than the other guy. Then they would get constipated and start yelling from the pain. Me and some other people turned off the volume and did the words ourselves and it was hilarious what my brother came up with.

FINGER FART!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../piccolo02.jpg

o_qui 01-17-2006 01:23 AM

Evangelion changed my life

o_osiris 01-17-2006 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Howling Man
Quote:

anime
lol

Sir, I do believe I have a new signature quote.

Circuitous 01-17-2006 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qui
Evangelion changed my life

Really? It put me to sleep.

Most anime I see is trash. The only ones that have managed to strike me as being really interested and mademe want to watch more were FLCL and Cowboy Bebop. That's pretty much it. And even now I don't have any interest in them anymore.

o_skanky butterpuss 01-17-2006 01:48 AM

anigay you mean!

:P

just teasing. i do hate anime though.

o_jinx 01-17-2006 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qui
Evangelion changed my life

yeah, the ending was go godawful I almost quit watching anime because I was so pissed off :evil:

Right now I'm not watching too much. Just Blood+ TV, which has been quite good. Also watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, a Western animation on Nic that is really good.

I don't see how anyone could hate anime, though. Anime comes in pretty much every genre you can think of, just like books or movies or television. I love action and sci-fi stuff, and anime has some great shows to check out like Ghost in the Shell.

o_qui 01-17-2006 02:27 AM

Its retarded because its not really a genre, its a way of presenting a story. Yes there is some awful stuff... just like any other medium.

o_frenchtoast 01-17-2006 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoMamasHouse
The only anime I ever watched was pokemon and Dragon ball Z. I always thought DBZ was funny more than anything because the guys would spend about 5 hours arguing and pointing out how they were stronger than the other guy. Then they would get constipated and start yelling from the pain. Me and some other people turned off the volume and did the words ourselves and it was hilarious what my brother came up with.

FINGER FART!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../piccolo02.jpg

I remember good times in your basement with Jer doing that. He had to charge it up on his forehead first though :lol:

o_geokill-----> 01-17-2006 02:48 AM

http://www.ex.org/5.6/images/flcl_cover.jpg

Jiggles 01-17-2006 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Circuitous
Quote:

Originally Posted by qui
Evangelion changed my life

Really? It put me to sleep.

Most anime I see is trash. The only ones that have managed to strike me as being really interested and mademe want to watch more were FLCL and Cowboy Bebop. That's pretty much it. And even now I don't have any interest in them anymore.

Yeah, Evangelion annoyed the heck out of me.

Anime is big buisness in Japan, so, like any popular industry, you have to expect that 90% of what is produced, is crap :)

There is some really good stuff out there, it's just hard to find. It's not helped by the fact that the biggest dubbers (like Funimation) generally murder the series they translate (ex: CardCaptor Sakura, One Piece, etc)

We had a topic not long ago about this, so I'll link to my post in it (rather than retyping everything)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx
Right now I'm not watching too much. Just Blood+ TV, which has been quite good. Also watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, a Western animation on Nic that is really good.

Yeah, Avatar is surpisingly well written and animated. Too bad it's stuck on a channel like Nik. Oh well, here's hoping it doesn't go the route of Invader Zim.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx
I don't see how anyone could hate anime, though. Anime comes in pretty much every genre you can think of, just like books or movies or television. I love action and sci-fi stuff, and anime has some great shows to check out like Ghost in the Shell.

I think a lot of the hatred of anime is because of the fact that DBZ, Pokemon, and YuGiOh are about all most westerners see, and so they conclude all Anime sucks.

Plus, Anime has a very different way of telling a story, that is rather "un-western" - for example, starting in the "middle" of the story (and thus the first 3 or 4 episodes are usually confusing as all hell), and the "non-happy" or plain nonexistent ending.

Finally, it's "cool" to hate something that suddenly becomes popular.

o_tyrus 01-17-2006 03:02 AM

Quote:

Right now I'm not watching too much. Just Blood+ TV,
I have watched the first 6 episodes or so of that and yes, it is quite good thus far. However, I am letting it get ahead of me a little becuase watching anime in binges usually makes the story more captivating instead of week to week.

Other anime's I am currently watching and enjoying are: Shakugan no Shana, Black Cat, ***Jigoku Shoujo*** (notice the emphasis!!!), and Mushishi. There are more, but I'm sure you get the point!

Also, I bet anyone here that says anime sucks falls in to one of the next categories:

1. Has only seen anime licenced in America.
2. Has only seen dub'd anime.
3. Has only seen "pop" anime such as Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Pokemon, Naruto and so on.

*I refer to pop anime as anything seen on Cartoon Network and/or overall extremely popular.

Quote:

We had a topic not long ago about this, so I'll link to my post in it (rather than retyping everything)
Sorry about that, but I did do a search and no topic titles even hinted to this section. Unfortunately I did not want to read the content in every result ;). At least this topic is "clear".

Oh and uh, nice list Jiggles, I pretty much agree with you on all those animes, except Last Exile, I loved it!! I'd make a list too, but its too long and would look showy. However, instead I'll just post my favorites:

1. Rurouni Kenshin - 1-4 OVA (Trust and Betrayal)
2. Hikaru no Go
3. Full Moon wo Sagoshite
4. Elfen Lied
5. Hajime no Ippo

and the list continues...!

o_skanky butterpuss 01-17-2006 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggles
Plus, Anime has a very different way of telling a story, that is rather "un-western" - for example, starting in the "middle" of the story (and thus the first 3 or 4 episodes are usually confusing as all hell), and the "non-happy" or plain nonexistent ending.

i assure you, that is not the case. i am a huge fan of quentin tarantino movies and others who tell the story similarly (21 grams) because they arent linear.

one reason i dont like anime (and i admit that im no connoisseur of it) is the voices. Japanese, English, i dont give a fuck what language its in, those hig-pitched whiney voices for every character makes me want to bleed my ears into the voice actors' vocal chords.

watching anime on mute is quite entertaining, and i dont mind the movie Ninja Scroll, but other than that anime can lick my sacks.

o_frenchtoast 01-17-2006 03:40 AM

Speaking of wacko ways of telling stories, Memento. What a fucked up movie.

o_ma|2io 01-17-2006 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Howling Man
Quote:

anime
lol

^^

o_lithium 01-17-2006 05:03 AM

Cowboy bebop and Samurai champloo ftw.

Jiggles 01-17-2006 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
one reason i dont like anime (and i admit that im no connoisseur of it) is the voices. Japanese, English, i dont give a fuck what language its in, those hig-pitched whiney voices for every character makes me want to bleed my ears into the voice actors' vocal chords.

Well, there's a good share of anime that isn't like that, but there is also a crapload that is.

Japanese seem to find high-pitched (underage!) females "sexy", I guess...

o_skanky butterpuss 01-17-2006 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggles
Japanese seem to find high-pitched (underage!) females "sexy", I guess...

yep, and i dont get it. i had the displeasure of watching an anime porn (out of curiosity, with other people) and there was a little documentary on the disc about how little pre-teens are hot.

i disagree, japan. i disagree.

o_tyrus 01-17-2006 06:11 AM

Keep in mind, not all Japan thinks this way. I have seen many anime's where the main character gets made fun of because he is mistaken for liking a younger girl. They even use the term "loli" Guess its short for lolita.

Anyways back on topic, continuing with "Tsubasa Chronicles" and so far its very pleasing. Some of the other animes by this same group weren't as good as I had expected, so I am not expecting much of this one. But who knows...


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.