Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Other Games (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   EA to charge $10-$15 for game DEMOS (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=21657)

Mooga 03-23-2010 04:53 AM

EA to charge $10-$15 for game DEMOS

Analyst: EA To Release Paid DLC Prior To Packaged Game Launche

The idea is that the game demo will be the first 3 or 4 hours of game play for about 10 or 15 bucks. Then when the game comes out, you have to pay FULL PRICE for the game. However, EA claims that this isn't charging for a demo... Go figure.

KubeDawg 03-23-2010 07:02 AM

So don't play the demo.

GenghisTron 03-23-2010 07:53 AM

It's surprising that in this day and age, EA is still alive and breathing, and even more, they're making absurd demands from their customers (which they regularly abuse).

KubeDawg 03-23-2010 02:45 PM

So do most game companies. Just look at MW2. Their so-called 'Stimulus Package' DLC costs $15 damn bucks.

Lost 03-23-2010 04:53 PM

1943 was a success if you look at the amount of content it held and the price it went for.

The real issues is: do we want to pay $15 now and then $60 later for the same game? If all they do is release a portion of the game, say a few SP levels and one or two MP maps, typical for a demo, then no, I wouldn't do it. But lets say they do the $15 demo, which is actually the full game but with far less features than the finished product. And then, you can download custom maps and play your $15 demo until you get tired of the game and 6 months down the line, get the full version with completely new material, twenty MP maps and a shit-ton more eye candy.

Of course, custom maps isn't possible on PS3 (don't think it is on XBL, dunno though) so that isn't going to be their aim.

I sure as hell won't buy a standard demo; that is their marketing tool used to lure me in. Who in their right mind is going to start paying for advertisements meant to try to convince us the product is worth getting? Because that's basically what paying for a demo will be IF the demo mentioned is similar to the freebies you download on PSN, Steam, XBL, what have you.

Etzell 03-23-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KubeDawg (Post 468105)
So do most game companies. Just look at MW2. Their so-called 'Stimulus Package' DLC costs $15 damn bucks.

DLC usually costs money. People fucking deserve it for continuing to fall for that shit.

KubeDawg 03-23-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etzell (Post 468117)
DLC usually costs money. People fucking deserve it for continuing to fall for that shit.

Yeah, and people spend way too much of video games in the first place. 60 bucks a pop... It's outrageous. Everyone just HAS to have the newest and greatest game out there. I still play CS 1.6. It may be completely out dated, but it still holds its value.

Etzell 03-24-2010 01:24 AM

Video games have always been expensive. People bitch about the price like it's some stunning new development.

Mooga 03-24-2010 06:00 AM

I understand games take longer and longer to make. But video game companies are even adding ads to their games and still charging the same prices. Piracy has gone up (a LOT), but continuing to over charge and rip off customers is not the way to do it. DLC is generally overpriced.

For the MW2 map pack. 15 bucks buys you 5 maps. 3 are new, and 2 and copied over from CoD4. At 3 bucks a map, it's not necessarily a bad deal (You're buying several hours of fun for each map). But that PURE PROFIT. Those 2 copied maps cost them nothing (or next to nothing). The other 3 maps cost nothing compared to the large amount of money they will make on the pack.

moosh 03-24-2010 11:30 AM

I wonder how much do the developers get paid for making the game.

Bridget 03-24-2010 12:25 PM

THAT'S PURE PROFIT. (That you can willingly choose not to purchase!)

Agent Buckshot Moose 03-24-2010 04:01 PM

Some downloadable content is justified. Others are not. In RPG games like Fallout 3 or Dragon Age, I found that most of the downloadable content was justified, given the scope at which some of the content covered. Of course, in Dragon Age they did not charge ridiculous amounts for all the DLC. Shale is free, and the rest didn't cost much at all. In Mass Effect 2 it's all free if you buy the game new, or 15 dollars for everything if you buy it used.

This kind of stuff that EA is doing is just silly.

Credge 03-25-2010 02:04 AM

I'd like to point out that MW:2 was $10 more than every other fucking game on the market.

That's an Activision game.

At the very least EA has come up with a few new franchises that aren't complete ass. Can't say the same thing about Activision.

Hirohito 03-25-2010 06:50 AM

Back in 1993 iD let the Doom shareware be sold for $10 at stores so this isn't exacly new.

EquilibriuM 03-26-2010 06:13 PM

EA sucked donkey balls since day one, all they give a shit about is money, then move on to the next game they will never support and make patches to fix their products, well they make like 2 then bail usually.

Etzell 03-26-2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EquilibriuM (Post 468210)
EA sucked donkey balls since day one, all they give a shit about is money, then move on to the next game they will never support and make patches to fix their products, well they make like 2 then bail usually.

Yeah, let's all take a moment and remember all of the other video game companies that care about things that aren't money. Oh. Fuck. Whoops.

GenghisTron 03-27-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etzell (Post 468223)
Yeah, let's all take a moment and remember all of the other video game companies that care about things that aren't money. Oh. Fuck. Whoops.

It's different to be 'greedy' and make good games, and it's another to be EA. I mean honestly, what HAVEN'T they fucked up. In the past 6 months alone they've fucked up (royally) every major game launch, and most notably BC2. The BC2 launch was worse than anything I've seen in my life... it was an embarrassment on every level. Like I said, it's one thing to be greedy, and truly look out for your customer by ensuring you make quality products that are released smoothly, and it's another to just make mediocre games that consistently fail to launch smoothly.

Mooga 03-27-2010 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etzell (Post 468223)

Call me a Valve Fan Boy, but Valve tends to pull out high quality games at a lower/better price. While they may be very slow at it, they do a good job and generally care about their customers.

Iggy 03-27-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirohito (Post 468168)
Back in 1993 iD let the Doom shareware be sold for $10 at stores so this isn't exacly new.

That was to cover the cost of media, back then. Granted, it was above the exact cost, but that was the idea. With todays market and online delivery system, you simply can't apply that concept.