Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 11:18 AM   #21
o_dr zauis

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
the term isnt annoying, its the people hands down

Old 06-03-2005, 11:53 AM   #22
o_lord asriel

so someone who played 1 hour tf at its beggining is a vet and someone that the last 4 years only breathed, eated,slept,wced AND played tfc is not?

Old 06-03-2005, 03:20 PM   #23
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

wced = watercloseted?

Old 06-03-2005, 03:59 PM   #24
o_shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by photeknix
and... no offense... but calling anyone from tfc a vet is pretty funny. if you played TF before 97 and helped in the creation and growth of the original TF, then i might consider you a vet. other thing being these aren't even names i've ever heard of in TFC... meaning they are post 1.5 names. post 1.5 is definatly not a vet. i played for a top title holding clan from closed beta testing till 1.5 release, so i know whos who... and truthfully the only name i know on the dev team is mulchman.

i know this post is a flame war waiting to happen, but i also think using that term is dangerous ground, and if used at all, should be used correctly.
A contender for the most stupid thing I've seen posted on these forums yet.

1) This is asking for flames. Please think before you post.
2) I know a lot of the dev team have been playing TFC since it came out for Half Life, and at a level I suspect is higher than your own. Many of them also played QWTF, a number are European so perhaps that is why you don't know them? Certainly the likes of Defrag, Rebo, billdoor, mirvin_monkey and eat (and these are the guys I know from the euro side) have been extremely active in the community in map design and cheat detection. They more than deserve the title "veteran player".
3) My dad is harder than your dad :P

Old 06-03-2005, 04:11 PM   #25
o_amazingnurseenrique

I'm not going to argue the definition of vets or stroke and e-penis over this. Simple facts are that the mod team is professional and has people that have done some high-quality work in the TFC community in the past.

Internet gaming is an evolving medium where fresh blood and new talent goes a long way towards creating high-quality content. This is a poor time to wave our walking sticks at newer players and act like we're from 'Nam or something :P

TF needs more players badly. The old-school fans (however you define it) will not be enough to foster a highly-populated game. FF is our (as a community) chance to get TF back on the map in the gaming world.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #26
o_photeknix

laff... told ya it was a flame war waiting to happen. so entertaining.

heh, you all are so defensive. we all love and play the same game. so don't take things so personal. i don't really care how long any of you have been around or what you've done for TF (which is obvious, or i wouldn't be a FF fan/supporter), i was just stating my opinion and what i think is a misusage of the word. all that matters is that you continue supporting and playing it.

oh, and the term veteran isn't just a military term... it also means someone who has great deal of experience in something, often built up over the whole of its working life (in this case, meaning since early stages of TF).

so, feel free to get a dictionary and look it up... you will then realize that i'm right.
sorry to disappoint most of you.

just don't take it so personal, you really shouldn't care... i don't, i was just helping out in correcting this misunderstanding and misusage of the word.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #27
o_mongul-tpf-

Bah anyone who has played more than a few years can be considered a vet. its cool if you were around in the beta but whatever. I started playing around 2000 thats 5 years ago. thats a long time no matter how you look at it. that elitist attitude of yours has to go photeknix. you posted knowing it would get the response it did so don't try and give an impression of being a bigger man in this.

oh yeah i have not posted here pretty much since it began so might as well use this space to say good work guys its looking awsome can't wait for a release.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #28
o_photeknix

yeh, i figured it'd start a flame war because i knew those who weren't around or helped in the creation of the original TF would think and feel otherwise, but i felt i should correct the understanding of what a true veteran is (by real definition and how i've always viewed it). but whatever. to each his own... everyone has thier own opinion on the word. not many really know or use the word correctly. i'm simply stating the truth and definition of the word and what it really means. and its still a dangerious word since most people don't understand it, as you can see.

elitest? big man? not my goal. just clearing things up. (which i don't think has really helped at all :P ) but at any rate... your welcome.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #29
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

What qualifies someone as a veteran is mainly subjective (the definition of veteran is simply one who has partaken in a certain activity for a long time. How long is a piece of string?). I've played TFC since the very beginning, I did not play QWTF. However, I would consider myself a veteran of TF gameplay.

*edit - misread the other post

Old 06-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #30
o_photeknix

see, thats what MOST people think, and can be confusing since all dictionaries are different... but in some you will find the definition says "someone who has great deal of experience in something, often built up over the whole of its working life" (source: Encarta)... then others just say like yours "one who has partaken in a certain activity for a long time" without any more explaination then that. they both have the same basic meaning, but one is more specific then the other. this is where confusion, misunderstanding, and misuse comes into play and flaming begins.

and of course everyone seems to have thier own opinion and take on the definition and what it really means. which doesn't help at all. and this is why its a dangerous word to use, mainly in the TF community.

this thread is a prime example.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:29 PM   #31
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Note the "often" in your hand picked definition. What that means is, if your participation over a long time(wouldn't always need to be a long time though) gives you sufficient knowledge and experience of the subject at hand, in this case TF, then you can be considered a veteran without being there from the beginning.

Experience is the key. Veteran TFC players can use their skill and knowledge of the game in any other TF mod to great effect, as could experienced players of other TF mods. To become a veteran player of a game, you must experience the game in all it's forms and be aquainted with all it's intricacies.

"From the beginning" only carries meaning towards being a veteran if those early experiences were required to know or fully understand the situation. You see this fairly often in history. However, in the history of any game, it carries no relevance. Any good game constantly evolves, constantly progresses towards new areas, new heights of experience. The old strategies, tactics, etc are remembered and built upon by each new generation of players. Willie Mays was a veteran baseball player, even though he missed the first 50 years of pro gameplay.

This is all quite obvious. What is your problem with TFC players? You didn't answer my questions from my previous post, either. Cheers!

Old 06-03-2005, 11:41 PM   #32
o_kaxxil

you really need to get some perspective if you start using "VETERAN OF AN ONLINE GAME" seriously.

it sounds like you're trying to pull some e-respect for something nobody cares about.

it's not like playing a game for a certain amount of years is "hard work" or anything, if anythings it shows you don't have enough work to do

Old 06-04-2005, 01:30 AM   #33
o_bokko

Photeknix, you are just confusing people with your lack of understanding for the term 'veteran'. Sorry to disappoint you

Old 06-04-2005, 02:39 AM   #34
o_fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by photeknix
laff... told ya it was a flame war waiting to happen. so entertaining.

heh, you all are so defensive. we all love and play the same game. so don't take things so personal.
Then why make a big deal over who is a vet and who is not.

"and... no offense... but calling anyone from tfc a vet is pretty funny. if you played TF before 97 and helped in the creation and growth of the original TF, then i might consider you a vet."

Why even say that... I'm sorry but you were pretty much asking for a "flame war" when you posted that. Not that we get offended by your opinion... but someone had to flame you for that one.. lol

Old 06-04-2005, 06:19 AM   #35
o_photeknix

typical, i've already stated i personally don't care... but that the definition obviously means something different to me, as it does to everyone. which we come to the same conclusion and the point that its a dangerous term just asking for flaming and arguing. so again lighten up and don't take it personal.

and why would i have anything against TFC players, i am one.

Old 06-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #36
o_los_omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
Photeknix, what clans were you in in QWTF and TFC? What TF news site?
Still haven't seen the answer to this direct question. Anyways...so if I played the first Quake, no wait...um Wolfstein....no dam....AHH how about CGA Castle, does this make me a vet? heh

btw FF, keep up the good work and taking personal time to push this mod out

Old 06-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #37
o_bokko

The only one who was offended by the use of 'veteran' was you, this does not make it dangerous. #wecare

Old 06-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #38
o_switch

Stop pointlessly restating your definition of veteran and tell us what *elite* clan you were in. As I get the impression alot of us would like to know

Old 06-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #39
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
see, thats what MOST people think, and can be confusing since all dictionaries are different... but in some you will find the definition says "someone who has great deal of experience in something, often built up over the whole of its working life" (source: Encarta)... then others just say like yours "one who has partaken in a certain activity for a long time" without any more explaination then that. they both have the same basic meaning, but one is more specific then the other. this is where confusion, misunderstanding, and misuse comes into play and flaming begins.
I simply gave a quick summary of the definition from the dictionary. Here it is in full. Like I said, it's subjective depending on your opinion & interpretation of the word long.

Quote:
vet·er·an Audio pronunciation of "veteran" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vtr-n, vtrn)
n.

1. A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity: a veteran of political campaigns.
2. A person who has served in the armed forces: “Privilege, a token income... were allowed for veterans of both world wars” (Mavis Gallant).
3. An old soldier who has seen long service.

adj.

1. Having had long experience or practice: a veteran actor.
2. Of or relating to former members of the armed forces: veteran benefits.

Old 06-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #40
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
The word is ambiguous so surely either interpretation is equally valid. What is not valid is to claim that people are using it incorectly and only your interpretation is valid. The original post called the dev team "vets" not referring to "veterans of TFC" or "veterans of TF". It's pretty clear that they are vets of TFC implying that was the sense in which it was intended.

Whatever, chill out.

Closed Thread