Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
o_shaolin

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The alt-fire/mouse2/ special ability....

I thought I would ask what the team intends to do with the alt+fire function.
I think in the original game, it wasn't a terribly useful function. Going from memory:

Civilian: lol yeah right etc.
Demo: det pipes
Engineer: build menu
HWguy: switch to AC
Medic: switch to medpack
Pyro: umm switch to flamethrower??
Scout: who has flag
Sniper: zoom
Soldier: reload
Spy: spy menu

Now, asides from spy and engineer, the special was essentially just a scripted bind that could be re-keyed anywhere. In essence, the special ability was not special and not class unique.
I'm wondering if the team has any ideas on implicating class_specific unique abilites.

P.S. Search function seems fubared for me, I get a list of topics but can't click and read those topics without losing connection to server...
o_shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #2
o_billdoor

Interface quirks should not dictate gameplay -- we won't introduce new abilities specifically to use the secondary fire button, but if any classes do have new abilities that would be better suited to the secondary fire button than its current use in TFC (for example, the classes for which it just switches weapons or pops up the command menu) then we can look at making them available as the secondary attack.

We're also looking to minimise the number of keys needed to play the game. Where two binds can be combined into one, they will be. However, we won't do so at the expense of functionality and all keys will be bindable via the console and the binding interface as before (moreso, in fact, since the TFC key binding menu doesn't contain most of the commands used).

The commandmenu will hopefully play a larger part than it does in TFC and be more quickly navigable using the mouse or keyboard -- it shouldn't be cumbersome and get stuck on the screen like it currently does. If this goes well, then many people may find that a lot of the less reaction-based binds will be unnecessary (though they will still be bindable for those that want them on keys).
o_billdoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
o_xstioph

Re: The alt-fire/mouse2/ special ability....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin
The civilian could have some kind of special ability to get up a few units more.. Maybe push his umbrella to the ground and gain air so he at least could get up on 64 unit boxes.... Though it would take one strong umbrella to support that fat ass....
o_xstioph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
o_ghost

I was unaware classes other than demoman could det pipes.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
o_qui

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
You can emp them
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 03:24 PM   #6
o_ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
You can emp them
BAH! Foiled again!
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
o_16valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstioph
Quote:
The civilian could have some kind of special ability to get up a few units more.. Maybe push his umbrella to the ground and gain air so he at least could get up on 64 unit boxes.... Though it would take one strong umbrella to support that fat ass....
The Civilian should get down on his knees and cower in fear.
o_16valve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 07:15 PM   #8
o_comrade tiki

I think that the civilian should open his umbrella. Of course, it does absolutely nothing other than make it harder for snipers to see where his body is.

Actually, this isn't a bad idea! The civilian could open the umbrella to disguise his exact body location from snipers. But it would also mostly cover the civilian's view, too.
o_comrade tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #9
o_oinker

or atleast give him a sheild when his unbrella was open haha......

no dun add crap to FF tfc with a new look i think is the only thing people ask for most of the TFCers are like in their 20's now and started playing in their teens last thing anyone wants to do is relearn a bunch a shit hah..
o_oinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #10
o_comrade tiki

...Then maybe the civ could hold his umbrella open if it ever rains on The Hunted? :P

If weather is added to maps, it would be illogical to have the hunted hold his umbrella shut in the rain!

Old 02-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #11
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Funnily enough, we were having a laugh in IRC about the civilian's special ability a few weeks back and I suggested he should deploy his brolly, then float around like Mary poppins. I don't quite think it'll make it into the game, but it gave us a chuckle nonetheless.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:59 AM   #12
o_orange

i think the Engineer and spy menus are a tad cumbersome.

Detting a dispenser would be easier if it was already bound to a key. Yes I know anyone can bind, but it's more user friendly.

Similarly perhaps a key that pops up a menu for disguising like a teammate , then one for an enemy.

Then there could be small text on the side of the screen (like some server map votes) that listed classes. Less obstructive and easier to do on the run than right clicking and trying to navigate through menus with mouse while you're running around, but that's just me.

I don't expect this to be taken as a demand, but something to think about perhaps : )
o_orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 01:10 AM   #13
o_comrade tiki

I like the current setup of the vgui.

I agree that detdispenser should be a regular bind. A useful button for detdispenser, in my opinion, is mouse3.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:11 AM   #14
o_zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
Funnily enough, we were having a laugh in IRC about the civilian's special ability a few weeks back and I suggested he should deploy his brolly, then float around like Mary poppins. I don't quite think it'll make it into the game, but it gave us a chuckle nonetheless.
lol i was thinking the same thing
o_zorro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 01:15 AM   #15
o_comrade tiki

I had the thought of making the prez fall slower...but I tried to keep serious, as the umbrella would break.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:45 AM   #16
o_sobe green

A spoon full of sugar will make the medicine go....
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 03:50 AM   #17
o_mooga

Quote:
Now, asides from spy and engineer, the special was essentially just a scripted bind that could be re-keyed anywhere. In essence, the special ability was not special and not class unique.
Wrong, you can acsses the menu by clicking shift by defalt. Thats for ANY class. The only spechal one is for deting pipes.
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 05:57 AM   #18
o_ink

Mouse2 for the Civ could open up his potentially bulletproof umbrella.

Good topic though. I've said before it would be nice some modifications to the currently "wasted" altfire slots of classes like the HW, Medic, Soly, Pyro, and Scout.
o_ink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #19
o_shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga
Quote:
Wrong, you can acsses the menu by clicking shift by defalt. Thats for ANY class. The only spechal one is for deting pipes.
Umm... The spy and engineer are the only classes that have special class functions within that menu. Any of those menu commands can be used by any class, asides from the spy and engineer specific ones. They can also be bound as a command to any key.
The demo's special ability relates purely to the weapon he uses (although I imagine the detpack counts as a special ability).
Please try comprehending before critiquing.
o_shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #20
o_billdoor

I think what he means is you can bring the command menu up with a separate bind with any class, and if you're spy, demoman or engineer it will still show the "special" options, though you'll have to open the special menu yourself unlike using +attack2.
o_billdoor is offline   Reply With Quote