Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 03-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
o_jdcruz

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Facility3

Faciliy 1 and 2 were built for TFC and in my opinion were pretty good. They were never very popular but that was only because noone had ever played them (atleast that's what I'd like to think )

With a new engine out and the possibility to be more creative I decided to rework the entire map. Very little of the original will be left and the rest is due for a major change.

Since noone is likely to know anything about this map, here are a few screenshots.

Facility:
http://shaggy.ggot.org/images/maps/f...acility1_1.jpg
http://shaggy.ggot.org/images/maps/f...acility1_2.jpg
http://shaggy.ggot.org/images/maps/f...acility1_3.jpg

Facility2:
http://shaggy.ggot.org/images/maps/f...acility2_1.jpg
http://shaggy.ggot.org/images/maps/f...acility2_2.jpg
http://shaggy.ggot.org/images/maps/f...acility2_3.jpg

Facility 2 was an upgrade from the original as it fixed a couple game play issues and added a couple paths to the flag room. Facility1 had a quake style ctf where your team needed it's flag in order to capture the opposing flag. Not many people liked this idea so in Facility2 that style was replaced with a minor objective. The minor objective was that you had to open the flag by hitting a button in the control room overlooking the flag room (as shown in one of the screenshots).

Anyway, that's all old news because Facility3 (that would be the map for tf:f ) will change everything. There isn't much to see but I figure it'd keep me motivated to show a little of what I've been working on.

http://shaggy.ggot.org/images/maps/f...ility_0015.jpg
This is a bunker situated in the center of the bridge. The entire outside area will be redone. No specifics are planned yet but several concepts are ready.

http://shaggy.ggot.org/images/maps/f...ility_0017.jpg
Under the bridge. I didn't want to texture anything untill FF released textures (are they?). It's fun working with the dev texture for some reason so I'll continue to use it.

That's all for now, questions and comments are welcome
o_jdcruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #2
o_nomak

your water graphics look REALLY nice. what graphics card you using? BTW wats the point of remaking the map if its possibly coming out for tfc source? But it looks nice good work.
o_nomak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
o_ivaqual

? ^^troll^^ ?

your geometry looks quite good so far, even if obviously there isn't much to judge from ^_^
i THINK i played that map, but that must have been years ago and i don't think it was noticeably.. anything. it was OK, I guess (even if by looking at the original screenshots it didn't look too good).
i hope you'll make something good out of this.

and nomak, TFC:S is just *supposed* to come out, there isn't any news and it's unlikely we'll hear about it in some time (valve first has to release DOD:S , TF:2 and a HL2 expansion pack); plus i don't see to what extent the mere "possibility" of this map being ported to another game invalidates JDCruz's work.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
mirvin_monkey
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Never played the originals personally, but looking forward to seeing the new one.
mirvin_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
o_sobe green

I think I may have played on the original a long time ago.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2005, 11:42 PM   #6
o_valk

link to fac2
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2005, 12:06 AM   #7
o_jdcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
I think I may have played on the original a long time ago.
If it was a long time ago then it's possible. I finished the first map about 3-4 years ago and revised it for the 2nd one a year after that. It was reviewed on mapcomplex I believe (I think that was the name, it was run by Jeff Raven, If I remember the name correctly). I don't remember the scores exactly but Facility1 earned a high 70 and Facility2 had something in the 80s.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #8
o_sobe green

It was atleast 4-3 years ago if I did.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
o_voipme

Those screen shots remind me of oppose2k. That map drove me nuts.
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2005, 09:26 PM   #10
o_rival13

I think it was map complex, too bad that went under, I had fun reviewing those maps. And it was Jeff, I still have his screen name

JD, start getting some custom textures going and make it look related to the old facility but with that spice you were talking about. Keep up the new style, I like it.
o_rival13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2005, 10:44 PM   #11
o_elvis2049

keep up the good work m8.
i like that there are also old not so formiliar maps beeing converted to the new ff
it brings a whole new and fresh look on the nw mod
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2005, 03:44 AM   #12
o_jdcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis2049
keep up the good work m8.
i like that there are also old not so formiliar maps beeing converted to the new ff
it brings a whole new and fresh look on the nw mod
"converted" doesn't quite describe what I'm doing. At first I thought that's what I was going to do; just update a few of the low quality geometry for some higher quality. Realizing that FF wont be finished for a while I figured I might aswell get a bunch of ideas together and see what'll fit. Some of my final plans are quite drastic. These plans include moving the flag room and creating a new layout as well as increasing the size of this map. It used to be a nice sized map spanning about 1/2 to 3/4 of the World Craft grid but now that I have all this room to play with I think i'll take advantage of it. Let's just hope I don't get carried away and make something that takes 10 to capture the flag

I guess if I wan't people to realize just how much this map will change, it might be a good idea to let them play what I'm working from

http://shaggy.ggot.org/files/facility2.bsp

Thats the release version that came out so long ago. There used to be a .txt file giving credit to the creators of some of the textures used but I lost it The custom textures were part of cwb_texpak8.wad and r25.wad.

The map is old news but you can leave comments if you like. It will undergo extensive reconstruction so any suggestions might be dwarfed by some of the updates. I don't know how much of the original will survive, could be anywhere from 20% to 80% depending on which plans work out well or not.

Now noone has an excuse for not playing it =P

Old 03-09-2005, 05:18 AM   #13
o_rival13

Get rid of those long boring hallways
o_rival13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 02:33 AM   #14
o_jdcruz

Old 03-15-2005, 03:25 AM   #15
o_nomak

WOW thats awesome! great job JD How long have you been mapping? And btw i think you should blend the cliff bottom to a diff style rock and also the top one. Make the bottom one feel more water like and the top one more grass like. BTW that geometry on that bunker is awesome do you have any tutorials on it or something?
o_nomak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 03:48 AM   #16
o_jdcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomak
WOW thats awesome! great job JD How long have you been mapping? And btw i think you should blend the cliff bottom to a diff style rock and also the top one. Make the bottom one feel more water like and the top one more grass like. BTW that geometry on that bunker is awesome do you have any tutorials on it or something?
Thanks

I've been mapping for a while now. I started maybe 4-5 years ago and back then I was at it almost everyday during the summer. Once school came around I had to put it down but I still did a little work off and on for a year or so afterwards. I havn't done any mapping in the past year or so but as soon as I got HL2 I downloaded the sdk to see what the new mapping had to offer. Apparently it's like riding a bike, you never forget how to do it.

The bunker took a lot of work despite it's size but now that I've done it once I could do it again easily. I might put together a tutorial on it if time permits.

The textures on the rock wall... I might look into it

Old 03-15-2005, 05:21 PM   #17
o_osiris

I love the bunker in the middle of the bridge, very original idea and an awsome build quality look to it all. Mind posting a flatshaded or wireframe picture of the bridge?
o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #18
o_headz

Looks good so far
o_headz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 08:03 PM   #19
o_elvis2049

question:
is there gonna be a upper entrance also??
couse with 1 entrance in front of building it realy gonna be spammy
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 08:04 PM   #20
o_jdcruz