Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server/Player Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester
 
eomoyaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Statesville, NC
Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
A little Honesty Among All.

A lot has come to my attention as I've continuously read the "closed" forums.

Knowing how none of this should of even been my business, I can't help but to stress that a majority of the players here are preventing this community from giving the game recognition it so badly desires.

Practically everyday I come home from a long day at work to play this game. On my days off I organize meetings for the clan, and get more involved with this community inside and outside of the servers. But I'm honestly becoming rather disappointed in all of the conflict going on within the forums.

Now I understand that we have different player-types. We have servers in which contain certain playing styles that are backed up by specific rules, that make each server their own. I also understand the consequences for not abiding by those rules. But for those of you, those players, who come into these forums and accuse others that they are making this community look bad, you're really not doing the community a favor yourself by accusing others of their obvious actions instead of just leaving it alone, as it normally wouldn't have anything to do with you in the first place. I honestly feel that it isn't helping. If I were to come in here as a new member to this community, and I read a lot of what I actually read, I would feel a little skeptical about how the game would treat me. Now I don't speak for those of you who have been here for a while, but I am sure there are new members coming into these forums and pass the game up because they are looking for a good community..

Next, I would like to address some things going on with certain clan hostilities going on within the community.

First of all, stop it. I've read a few replies from Squeek before he'd closed a few of the threads, and I can honestly say I know how he feels. It's repetitive, and people do grow tired of seeing the same old flaming between the same few groups. But it continues to happen, doesn't it?.. For those of you apart of the conflict, do you not think that they aren't getting fed up with all the commotion going on?

To be more specific:

1) Old Timers - For those who have been banned from this server, that small minority of players; out of that selective bunch, I'm sure a majority of those players knew they were going to get banned. Players, you DO GET WARNED before the system bans you. Their policy there isn't exactly strict.. As it was said before, the O-T server is an alternative for those players who dislike the racism, profanity, and suggested themes that you may get from other servers. I myself do play on O-T and I have slipped with the profanity a bit, and rarely have I apologized or felt the need to do so. But because they are trying to obtain a strong community, in hopes to share that common goal in which strengthens the population of the game.. I Respect the O-T.

2) Scuzzy - Yeah, I honestly carry a little agreement/disagreement with how you say things on the forums. I feel like a lot of the time, you reply towards others to prove a point, and you do. You make a lot of things very clear, but sometimes it's just overdone. When you refer to sarcasm, or play catch with the flaming session, it isn't doing anything to prove a point, but becomes more of a defensive action, carrying over a little hostility. And those kinds of actions can fuel other members to come back with negative remarks, and in which some cases you continue on even after they've left their remarks. Now I don't see a problem with defending your clan, or yourself, but does it have to be public?. Why should I need, or want, or have to know?. Or anyone at that rate?.. And Yes, I do see that this post directed towards you is public. But in no way am I taking a side, or looking for anyone to agree or disagree with me. This is just one of those things I noticed while reading through some of the negative threads here on the forums. Moving Forward..

3) The Anti-O-T - I honestly didn't know the immaturity level with some of the players in this community. There's a 14 year old player in the e0 Clan who carries more maturity then a majority of the adults who play this game. For those players who are against the O-T, have you not noticed that you've made this more then just about the game when the whole point of this community is to secure and increase the games potential?. Do you think that the devs worked day in and day out on this game just to see threads that specifically focus on flaming the O-T? Do you think they aren't growing tired of it? FF Players against O-T, New Timers... It's all a bunch of the same waste in my opinion. Why make a group dedicated to hating someone or something, when you could make a group dedicated to helping that same potential that the devs are really seeking? Instead of dedicating your time to create something based off of hatred, make something that's worth something to the WHOLE community. Our population is scarce.. If you're going to create something that limits a majority of the FF population, then it's just not worth it.. You're only creating more conflict, by attempting to pull others into choosing a side..

There should really only be 1 MAJOR reason why we are all apart of the this community. And that's to play the game, no matter what shape or form. I believe a lot of us have forgotten that aspect of the community. The reason we are all here. We are the reason this game is still alive (aside from the devs,). Try and make that mean something, not just to you, but to the whole community.

My eyes are starting to shut, So I'm off to bed. Positive Comments appreciated. Thanks for reading.

~Moya
eomoyaff is offline  


Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester
 
KubeDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
What's a community without some drama?
__________________
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline  


Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff
 
squeek.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern California
Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
What's a community without some drama?
Ideal.
__________________
#FF.Pickup Fortress-Forever pickups

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline  


Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Elmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
fair and true post
__________________
Support FF:
Done: ff_monkey
Done: ff_bases
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)
Elmo is offline  


Old 10-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
wakka
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Class/Position: top
Gametype: pwning caroline in bed
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
FF is still not a patch on TFC for drama so much so that little things are massive drama these days.

The real problem i feel is that the people in "power" don't even play the game.

So everyone should play on the zE server, zePalace for america too maybe ?
wakka is offline  


Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
spaceleper
**League Cheater**
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND
Class/Position: bent over ur mums coffee table
Gametype: i only play on sv_cheats 1 servers thx
Affiliations: MYG0T
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
tl;dr
__________________
Space Got Spanked
spaceleper is offline  


Old 10-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester
 
eomoyaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Statesville, NC
Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
Ideal.
Agreed.

But I guess the basic translation of everything I said above is to get over the negative things, and focus more on what you as a player can do to help this community out. No one wants to read about how you got banned from the O-T, or how you are starting up a clan or a server based off of hatred for another player, group, or clan. That's just asking for a fight/flame. For those who have been banned and just can't accept the fact that they have, and refuse to move on until they feel satisfied in doing something against whoever did the ban, need to cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it. Start focusing on making Fortress Forever a better game for everyone. Help it grow, and don't limit your server to just a selective bunch. It's not that hard..

Off to work, Adios.

~Moya
eomoyaff is offline  


Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
reaper18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka View Post
So everyone should play on the zE server, zePalace for america too maybe ?
Ze for euro,
e0 for USA

We wont tolerate this community drama/b00lschitt on our server
reaper18 is offline  


Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff
 
Scuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Server: 206.217.134.170:27016
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I'm tempted to abuse my admin powers and close this thread for the hilarity factor of doing so. Tired of it as well my friend, tired of it as well.

Scuzzy
__________________
"Player Quality, not Quantity, is what we strive for." - The LLama Wrangler
"A clan is defined by the nature of it's enemies. - The Llama Wrangler
Scuzzy is offline  


Old 10-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #10
chaunbot
r.A.p.3.D.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Affiliations: r.A.p.3.D
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy View Post
I'm tempted to abuse my admin powers and close this thread for the hilarity factor of doing so. Tired of it as well my friend, tired of it as well.

Scuzzy
wow someone actually out typed scuzzy congrats, maybe scuzzy should unban everyone for the sake of the community :O
chaunbot is offline  


Old 10-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator
 
GeoKill----->'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hawthorne, California
Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Stop trolling Please :/ chaunbot

Also very Well said Moya... too bad people like chaunbot didn't get the point and I doubt people like him will ever want to adapt and accept how the community should be.
__________________

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline  


Old 10-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff
 
Scuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Server: 206.217.134.170:27016
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
BTW, So long as the kids decide they want to lie about how they were banned, I'll show people they are lying through their record. It's been fairly clear that the opinion of the community is based on BS that we "ban for the smallest thing" when clearly we don't. I'm happy to point that out when they want to try to further that mistruth. But listening to them whine, moan, and lie does get very tiresome.

Scuzzy
__________________
"Player Quality, not Quantity, is what we strive for." - The LLama Wrangler
"A clan is defined by the nature of it's enemies. - The Llama Wrangler
Scuzzy is offline  


Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
WarPig
ThE O h G r
 
WarPig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY 315
Class/Position: Engi/HW/Pyro - Defender
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Pigs of War/ [AE]
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I always encourage drama during league play like team vs team whos better drama, but the crap that happens right now isn't even close. The pickup channel and yes im gonna go there cuz really I don't give a shit but the flame fest starts in there a lot on bashing on O-T's followed by Racial slurs and just the ability to not be able to type 4 words without using foul langauge.

THIS IS WHY YOU GET BANNED.

Now the concept that really makes me and others who are new to this game laugh is how the pickup channel is suppose to be the like AWESOME cool spot to hang and get games goin... it is, however when this shit starts up with slamming another ACTIVE SERVER and its players with racial comments and langauge it kind of HURTS THIS COMMUNITY AS A WHOLE.

I don't care who agrees/disagrees with me, infact the racial crap and the langauge is no issue with me. IT IS with others and is warned and asked please just act like an adult... it's sad that the majority of the people in pickup who cause the trouble are damn near mid 20's and normally are considered adults. Get over your awesome uber skillz and interenet coolness it doesn't help/fix/or solve anything and those who read this who feel that slight OMG SCREW HIM thought you are prolly one of those tards im talking about.

Help the community grow the hell up and stop living this fantasy that you are an interenet god. No one knows you except this SMALL COMMUNITY GG you win... NOT.

GG moya always got support from me and my guys.
WarPig is offline  


Old 10-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
StrYdeR
FFapper
 
StrYdeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Utah
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to StrYdeR
StrYdeR is offline  


Old 10-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #15
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Just like in real life, if you ignore people doing things to bother you, it doesn't bother you and makes them look silly.
MonoXideAtWork is offline  


Old 10-19-2009, 05:00 AM   #16
wakka
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Class/Position: top
Gametype: pwning caroline in bed
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Monoxide is too right and Stryder that picture is brilliant btw. Damn peoples replies are getting GOOD
wakka is offline  


Old 10-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #17
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork View Post
Just like in real life, if you ignore people doing things to bother you, it doesn't bother you and makes them look silly.
Which is why racism is still powerful, to a degree, as I explained in the moderated forum. Of course, within that context, this rule doesn't apply to people who would otherwise agree with it, because they fear being called a racist for wanting to alleviate racism or they drum up terrible misconceptions. Makes a lot of sense, eh?

It's not about what someone says, it's about how somebody acts. As I said, if some dick came up to me and said 'faggot faggot faggot' over and over in my face in an attempt to annoy me, I would see him off because he's behaving like a prick, not because of what he is saying, though the way he says it gives credence to the suggestion that he is a prick.

However, if that same guy had just hit his toe and yelled "Motherfucking faggot, I just hit my toe with a steel hammer." then he is behaving as expected, and not in an obnoxious offensive way. The way he says the word 'faggot' gives credence not to homophobia, but to his irritation.

Of course, the 'moderated' servers offer no dividing line for situations. They automatically assume that it is done in all harm, all negative behavior. The man who says "Damn, my grenade detted in my face." is just as bad as the man who says "Ha niggers, you're all niggers. doo doo dee doo, fucking fucks." which I think is rather unfair and worthy of criticism.

On topic, I'm not a fan of the false dichotomy here in which you imply that in order to be supportive of the development team and this game in general, you have to be accepting of certain server policies. This is far from the truth and makes no sense at all. Back when I could play, I played in all the beta tests available to me. I gave my suggestions there. I flooded the forums with, granted sometimes odd and bizarre, a ton of suggestions. I argued with those who criticized the game, I advertised the game to strangers, and even got a few friends in the mix as well. All while being critical of stupid server policies and stupid server-based niches.

Likewise, I have been helpful to the community and player base. There have been countless times I have stopped in my 'home turf', the Talos server, FF's most popular server, I might add, and helped a complete new player learn some new trick or generic game mechanic. I have made entire videos for single individuals, wrote up word documents full of tips and sent them to friends, and even planned at one point to fix a website dedicated to the 'learning aspect' of video games, a website where you came to learn instead of solely discuss. All, again, while being critical of certain server policies.

But yeah, whatever.
Bridget is offline  


Old 10-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #18
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Which is why racism is still powerful, to a degree, as I explained in the moderated forum. Of course, within that context, this rule doesn't apply to people who would otherwise agree with it, because they fear being called a racist for wanting to alleviate racism or they drum up terrible misconceptions. Makes a lot of sense, eh?

It's not about what someone says, it's about how somebody acts. As I said, if some dick came up to me and said 'faggot faggot faggot' over and over in my face in an attempt to annoy me, I would see him off because he's behaving like a prick, not because of what he is saying, though the way he says it gives credence to the suggestion that he is a prick.

However, if that same guy had just hit his toe and yelled "Motherfucking faggot, I just hit my toe with a steel hammer." then he is behaving as expected, and not in an obnoxious offensive way. The way he says the word 'faggot' gives credence not to homophobia, but to his irritation.

Of course, the 'moderated' servers offer no dividing line for situations. They automatically assume that it is done in all harm, all negative behavior. The man who says "Damn, my grenade detted in my face." is just as bad as the man who says "Ha niggers, you're all niggers. doo doo dee doo, fucking fucks." which I think is rather unfair and worthy of criticism.

On topic, I'm not a fan of the false dichotomy here in which you imply that in order to be supportive of the development team and this game in general, you have to be accepting of certain server policies. This is far from the truth and makes no sense at all. Back when I could play, I played in all the beta tests available to me. I gave my suggestions there. I flooded the forums with, granted sometimes odd and bizarre, a ton of suggestions. I argued with those who criticized the game, I advertised the game to strangers, and even got a few friends in the mix as well. All while being critical of stupid server policies and stupid server-based niches.

Likewise, I have been helpful to the community and player base. There have been countless times I have stopped in my 'home turf', the Talos server, FF's most popular server, I might add, and helped a complete new player learn some new trick or generic game mechanic. I have made entire videos for single individuals, wrote up word documents full of tips and sent them to friends, and even planned at one point to fix a website dedicated to the 'learning aspect' of video games, a website where you came to learn instead of solely discuss. All, again, while being critical of certain server policies.

But yeah, whatever.
MonoXideAtWork is offline  


Old 10-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #19
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff
 
Scuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Server: 206.217.134.170:27016
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Which is why racism is still powerful, to a degree, as I explained in the moderated forum. Of course, within that context, this rule doesn't apply to people who would otherwise agree with it, because they fear being called a racist for wanting to alleviate racism or they drum up terrible misconceptions. Makes a lot of sense, eh?
Explain to me again how calling someone a nigger alleviates racism and how we could employ sheep's bladders to prevent earthquakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
It's not about what someone says, it's about how somebody acts.
Amen! That's why we clearly define that we do not appreciate vulgar cursing in our environment to everyone so they know that act is inappropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
As I said, if some dick came up to me and said 'faggot faggot faggot' over and over in my face in an attempt to annoy me, I would see him off because he's behaving like a prick, not because of what he is saying, though the way he says it gives credence to the suggestion that he is a prick.
No argument here, just as we would see people off (and have) for doing what annoys us, which is intentionally ignoring the server rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
However, if that same guy had just hit his toe and yelled "Motherfucking faggot, I just hit my toe with a steel hammer." then he is behaving as expected, and not in an obnoxious offensive way. The way he says the word 'faggot' gives credence not to homophobia, but to his irritation.
No argument here, we agree again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Of course, the 'moderated' servers offer no dividing line for situations. They automatically assume that it is done in all harm, all negative behavior. The man who says "Damn, my grenade detted in my face." is just as bad as the man who says "Ha niggers, you're all niggers. doo doo dee doo, fucking fucks." which I think is rather unfair and worthy of criticism.
Wow, don't know which server you're talking about, definitely isn't ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
On topic, I'm not a fan of the false dichotomy here in which you imply that in order to be supportive of the development team and this game in general, you have to be accepting of certain server policies.
Where do you see that? I don't believe I have ever seen anyone demand that their behavior be accepted. I take that back, the people who want to behave however they want, regardless of server rules, have demanded that THEIR behavior be accepted. Aside from that, no one has demanded anyone accept another server's policies. I also don't think we've ever linked the Dev team to behavior or acceptance of any server's policies.

The [o-t] server has a few people who play but don't "accept" out policies, but they abide by them because they have respect for the environment we provide. You don't have to like or accept the [o-t]'s policies to play in our server, you just have to follow them. Just like you don't have to "like" not attacking and O player as an O player in an OvD league match, you just have to follow that policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
This is far from the truth and makes no sense at all. Back when I could play, I played in all the beta tests available to me. I gave my suggestions there. I flooded the forums with, granted sometimes odd and bizarre, a ton of suggestions. I argued with those who criticized the game, I advertised the game to strangers, and even got a few friends in the mix as well. All while being critical of stupid server policies and stupid server-based niches.

Likewise, I have been helpful to the community and player base. There have been countless times I have stopped in my 'home turf', the Talos server, FF's most popular server, I might add, and helped a complete new player learn some new trick or generic game mechanic. I have made entire videos for single individuals, wrote up word documents full of tips and sent them to friends, and even planned at one point to fix a website dedicated to the 'learning aspect' of video games, a website where you came to learn instead of solely discuss. All, again, while being critical of certain server policies.

But yeah, whatever.
Exactly, and being critical of a certain server never got you banned. Not following the forum rules here did. I'm curious, have you ever seen me post anything negative about your home server or it's policies here? I follow the rules. Try it, you might find your ideas are more credible coming from someone not on a personal vendetta.

Scuzzy
__________________
"Player Quality, not Quantity, is what we strive for." - The LLama Wrangler
"A clan is defined by the nature of it's enemies. - The Llama Wrangler
Scuzzy is offline  


Old 10-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #20
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
reaper18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Lets face it scuz, personal vendettas are more fun

Last edited by reaper18; 10-22-2009 at 05:52 PM.
reaper18 is offline  


Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.