Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2006, 09:17 PM   #21
o_twincannon

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
No one's in any of the two servers I can see at the moment.
o_twincannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #22
o_stephen

I live in europe, and nowhere has such an old game in stock any more. Is there any steam-like service you can pay and just download it legally from?
o_stephen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 10:17 AM   #23
o_pizzahut

You can probably get it used from Amazon or eBay.
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #24
o_twincannon

I wouldn't worry about it, I've been checking ASE for players and haven't seen any yet... another failed q3f revival attempt, woo

Old 01-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #25
o_lillbrorsan

Nooooo
I was hoping to play some, ah well, guess its back to TFC
o_lillbrorsan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #26
o_dha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiNCannoN
I wouldn't worry about it, I've been checking ASE for players and haven't seen any yet... another failed q3f revival attempt, woo
What a lame thing to say, the mod was released just over a week ago, a lot of people have other things to do over this holiday period so they wouldn't of heard about this mod, also we are currently trying to spread the word. So insted of saying don't bother no-one plays it, say try it out and when you see people connected join them, cos i play with about 4 of my buddies almost every day since release.
o_dha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #27
o_player

Quote:
another failed q3f revival attempt, woo
I still couldn't help but laugh at this; you sound so enthusiastic :P

I would try and play the game if my mouse would allow me (the bastard died in my arms, oil spurting everywhere, cogs bouncing about, people ducking--you know, the usual), so I have to send him to the morgue for a post-mortem examination to see what went wrong. I do hope that I am the perfect candidate for a replacement mouse.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2007, 12:02 AM   #28
o_twincannon

I have a lot of history with q3f, and even though I started on qwtf (which, by rights should make me a cocky ego-maniac that refuses to accept any other TF mod), q3f is my favorite. In particular, q3f 1h.

Since the rise and fall of q3f there's been so many tries to revive it. The only one that was met with any kind of success was ETF, and with even less success than it deserved because it was truly the best version of q3f out there, and more importantly, it was goddamned free. Like, seriously, why are we downloading all of this extra crap and installing/buying quake3 when we could just ... play ETF?

So, I think it's only fair for me to give this a mere "woo" when, as I had already said I was skeptical. I was merely telling people not to worry if they're going to run out and buy quake3 over this, because this certainly is by no means "alive" and I doubt it'll ever see a full server.

There's two people on the server right now though, actually (one of them being mulletman).

Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #29
o_dha

Quote:
Like, seriously, why are we downloading all of this extra crap and installing/buying quake3 when we could just ... play ETF?
ETF was just like q3f2 2.3. It was a port of it. q3f1 and q3f2 are quite different. Before making this mod I talked to a few people, asking what they thought of q3f1h and they said apart from some things, like lack of maps and bunnyhopping bug, they thought it was really good. As it had "nicer physics, cool effects" and was generally a fun mod. So I set out to make q3f1h better and see what people think of it.
If you have truly tried to revive Q3F why are you shooting it down straight away and saying play ETF, maybe cos it's not you leading this 'revival'? If you actually liked this mod then maybe help out rather then recommending people play different versions of Q3F.
I guess we both want Q3F to be played a bit more, so maybe come by the server and also recommend to people rather then telling them to play a slightly similar mod that they have been playing for 5 years. I am a ETFer, I think its an excellent mod. But I think its nice to go back to Q3F1 just to play now and then.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #30
o_mullet man

ETF is a great game and it is also free, but like DHA pointed out, ETF is Q3F2.3 and Q3FX is not.

Q3FX does require Quake 3 Arena to be played, but that is because Q3FX was tested on other engines, but it failed to meet the expectations of the game. Q3FX is just like Q3F1H was, but modded with better voice comms, more maps (around 60), fixed bugs, and more.

ETF and Q3FX are not the same at all. Alot of the familair maps are shared, but the conc effect, bunnyhop, rocket jump, and so many other things are quite different.

We are really just now getting the word out on this revived mod. You guys here are actually one of the first groups of forum members that I introduced Q3FX to because I know how hungry some of you are for some Fortress aside from ETF or TFC. Give it time and this will grow.
o_mullet man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #31
o_t00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet Man
ETF and Q3FX are not the same at all. Alot of the familair maps are shared, but the conc effect, bunnyhop, rocket jump, and so many other things are quite different.
Maybe you can expand on this? I've always been a tfc'er. I gave q3f a shot around when q3 arena came out (i think ) but there was something weird about no gren timer (?!) so i didn't bother to pick up another version since. I downloaded and tried etf for a good week or so, and i really did enjoy it. It was a good change of pace from tfc with all the similar gameplay. However, technically things like the conc effect, the regular shotgun blast radius, etc ruined that for me too....

Maybe q3fx has the best of both worlds?
o_t00l is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #32
o_mapex

Q3F Beta 1 vs Beta 2 has such a huge change log I don't even remember what exactly changed. But you know how you TFC guys complain about concs doing left-right stumbles? Beta 2 Q3F does that, but Beta 1 Q3F only messed up your aim.

Although Q3F Beta 2 was overall better and more complete, unpopular changes like the modification to the conc effect made Beta 1 more fun overall.

Last edited by o_mapex; 01-02-2007 at 02:25 PM.
o_mapex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #33
o_dha

Quote:
Originally Posted by t00l
but there was something weird about no gren timer (?!)
There is a nade timer, but not at default, u have to type into your config which timer you want, this wasn't explained when installing Q3F1x but there is a tutorial in the install of Q3FX. Along with tutorials of other bits and pieces to enhance your gameplay.
Quote:
However, technically things like the conc effect, the regular shotgun blast radius, etc ruined that for me too....
These things are different in Q3FX but i've never played tfc so I wouldn't know what you are used to. Q3FX is as fast paced as ETF, if you know what you're doing.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #34
o_dha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex
Changes like this were made that overall made Q3F Beta 2 better and more complete, but some of the unpopular changes made Beta 1 more fun overall.
Q3FX is basically the fun bits from Q3F1+2 merged into one. Popular changes from 1 to 2 include fixed stcky floor bug, added loadsa maps and added more communications, unpopular changes were conc effect, class model changes and more(which I can't think of right now).
So Q3FX has all the things above.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #35
o_t00l

Ima hafta swing by the house and dig out my quake 3 cd now, hehe. This sounds very promising!
o_t00l is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #36
o_exoronic

If sombody needs Q3 , send privemessage to me

yes its free

Last edited by o_exoronic; 01-02-2007 at 03:33 PM.
o_exoronic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #37
o_mullet man

Quote:
Ima hafta swing by the house and dig out my quake 3 cd now, hehe. This sounds very promising!
We actually have had our first Press Release which can be found HERE on Google on many sites, so this will help get this rolling.
o_mullet man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #38
o_pizzahut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHA
there is a tutorial in the install of Q3FX. Along with tutorials of other bits and pieces to enhance your gameplay.
I definitely recommend checking out the docu which comes with Q3FX. There are six files in .rtf (rich text) format in the q3f folder, also the original Q3F readme in HTML format and scripts in the config folder.

Last edited by o_pizzahut; 01-02-2007 at 05:41 PM.
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #39
o_exoronic

the game is very good tbh

being conced is really wacked
is there a way to add beeps to grenades ?

without its pretty hard
o_exoronic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #40
o_dha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoronic
is there a way to add beeps to grenades ?

without its pretty hard
Look in the .rtf documents, inside the Q3F directory, tutorials are there including gren timers.