Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #61
o_etzell

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The best part of the video was the DoD:S-style Soldier banging his head with the shovel. (The Axis team gets shovels as their melee weapons.)
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 05:06 PM   #62
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
So... not gameplay footage. Clearly all the art is very well done but I'm not sure I like it that much I'm more concerned with how it's going to play.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #63
o_tennovan

I will definitely play TF2, but its one of those games you just play for fun. For my competitive side, FF is where its at. The video was very cool though. Any game that strays from the norm yet offers simple and easy to learn gameplay is worth playing in my book. This is yet to be seen with TF2 but I think we can expect a game that appeals to more than just TF experts.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #64
o_someth|ngw|cked

Looks alot better than i thought it would, the new art style actually fits the game pretty well after seeing the maps in action

And by the way everything is done in engine, that is why valve said that everything is done in engine . . ., the only reason they mentioned that the DOF and motion blur were post processed effects was because they might not actually be released with the game but i believe that they will
o_someth|ngw|cked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #65
o_chancellour

Fortress Forever is shaping up to be everything I ever wished TFC would be.

TF2, if it even half resembles the trailer, is taking the entire Fortress genre to a new graphical level.

I'm thoroughly excited. It's an amazing time to be a Fortress player.
o_chancellour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #66
o_lobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
The best part of the video was the DoD:S-style Soldier banging his head with the shovel. (The Axis team gets shovels as their melee weapons.)
So your saying the soldier is a nazi! I take offense to that!
o_lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #67
o_lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack
The map looked really interesting too, assuming it really was a map.
Apparently it's 2fort
o_lor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #68
o_someth|ngw|cked

After watching the trailer again the new realtime shadow system valve has out into source looks amazing, even if we dont get DOF or motion blur i oculd care less if we will have this new shadowing system which has been promised for EP2

I also can't wait to see what the current mods look like with the new shadowing system
o_someth|ngw|cked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #69
o_sobe green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman MM
That trailer reminds me of old school Lucas Arts games, like Full Throttle, and the No One Lives Forever (& Contract J.A.C.K.) series. Especially with the music they have in there, it's very NOLFish.

Also, I think that's 2fort we're seeing since they're on a bridge and there's bases on either side.

And, at the time of posting, I haven't read this thread.
Exactly what I was thinking. Outlaws was the game that struck me at first.

It wasn't what I was expecting but then after all this time I'm not sure if I knew what I was expecting to begin with. It still looks worth playing. I'm buying Episode 2 regardless just to continue with the storyline there so I'm not feeling left out either way.

I don't like the new Pyro.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #70
o_[ffm]-ac/dc

well i was hoping to actually see some in game action, i guess 3D models is good enough
o_[ffm]-ac/dc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #71
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Outlaws was the game that struck me at first.
WHERE ARE YOU MARSHALL???

damn that game rocked

Old 07-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #72
o_dextro

Am I the only one that's starting to think that Valve might have chose to go all cartonny with TF2 since FF was already building up to a very high quality and "hardcore" appealing game? Can't help but wonder that's why they did it...

Anyway I think I'm gonna laugh my socks off when TF2 comes out, I can really see myself hooked on that game: it looks a lot of fun even without any gameplay footage

Anyway I will play FF just as I played TFC but I will also drop by TF2 just for the heck of it hehe
o_dextro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 06:48 PM   #73
o_xstioph

It looks just so cool! I had a big smile on my face the whole time.. Awesome! And like someone said... Fortress Forever for competition based play, Team Fortress 2 for fun. Well there's no way to tell right now, but that's what it feels like to me. Time will tell, sooner or later, time will tell!
o_xstioph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #74
o_sobe green

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextro
Am I the only one that's starting to think that Valve might have chose to go all cartonny with TF2 since FF was already building up to a very high quality and "hardcore" appealing game? Can't help but wonder that's why they did it...

Anyway I think I'm gonna laugh my socks off when TF2 comes out, I can really see myself hooked on that game: it looks a lot of fun even without any gameplay footage

Anyway I will play FF just as I played TFC but I will also drop by TF2 just for the heck of it hehe
No I think it was all a part of their plan to show the variety of things the Source engine can do. I mentioned this in another topic somewhere too. Valve from a marketing standpoint needs as much variety as possible. I'm sure TF2 will play "serious".
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #75
o_tu!

that portal game looks like crap.
o_tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #76
o_mescalito

I wouldn't say "FF for competetive play, TF2 for fun" couse that's like saying TF2 will be more fun then FF.
1. you can't know it for sure before you tried it.
2. FF will be more fun anyway

I'd call TF2 a fooling game. You know like when you're in a mood to do something stupid, like: team killing mates, playing offensive hwguy, spawn spamming etc- you play TF2.
o_mescalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #77
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
I TOLD YOU GUYS HE WAS A DOD:S RIPOFF.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #78
o_kastofsna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextro
uh, no.
o_kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #79
o_kbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu!
that portal game looks like crap.
Are you serious? I think that looks like one of the most innovative games i've seen in a while. I can't believe you are going to be able to get both portals and TF2 for $20!

I don't even really care about the actual episode 2 stuff, I just want to play portals and TF2.
o_kbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #80
o_qui

Quote:
They would of been working on that for a while. They probably thought it would be counterproductive to try and compete with FF's style.

Additionally, you dont see many games that look that "cool" (as in, not hyperrealistic) these days, and that makes a great selling point for it. Also, you gotta admit, a cartoony feel lends itself well to the bizarre world of TF.

I liked the trailer, although it was dissapointing there was no real ingame footage. The situation more or less stays the same though, we dont really know what TF2 is going to be about.

But i did notice behind the pyro the old red team symbol, old school baby.
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote