Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester
 
Desyphur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Peon, do you know anywhere I can get quake deathmatch?
__________________
What was left of my sanity implored me not to enter...but that voice was just a whisper now.
Desyphur is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member
 
greenday5494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
buy Quake off of Steam. Then download/google nQuake. nQuake is quake DM with a server interface, so you dont need to type in the IP address every freakin time.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #3
Old Scratch
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Do people still play Quake DM? I'd still be into that.
Old Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member
 
Peon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur
Peon, do you know anywhere I can get quake deathmatch?

If you happen to own HL1 you can download the game "Deathmatch Classic." It's the same thing, more or less. Obtaining Quake 1 should be as easy as putting it into Google, since any authentication process for that game should be extinct by now. Of course, there's absolutely no guarantee anyone is playing either one anymore.....they just don't hold many folks attention these days.

You could try any game in the Halo series......it's mostly similar, and I hear it's pretty popular......if you want to pay a lot more.

You could also try any of the Perfect Dark MODS.....it's got all kinds of cool guns. You could even get the original, and an N64 pretty cheap these days. It's got a cool feature......Bots! It's also got 4-player split screen, but I've since given that up when I stopped playing my N64 back in 1998.

If you have a PC then you should definitely buy Half-Life 2......you may have heard of it. It's version of deathmatch is rad, and you get to use a weapon called the "Gravity Gun." It's a real steal at $20.....you get lot's more with it......and I hear it's also quite popular.

Well, this has been another job well done for Facetious Man! I'm off to spread redundancy wherever it's most needed! Up, up, and up some more!

(Thanks for the hand-off BTW)
__________________
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member
 
greenday5494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
i totally agree dude. BTW, halo isnt any thing like quake DM. nor is HL2 DM. Mabye HL1 DM. Halo is alot slower-paced. ALOT and has a alot more options, if you take out modding of course.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself
 
SoBe Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Russellville, AR
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I always felt DMC captured the quake feeling quite nicely.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 AM   #7
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester
 
Desyphur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon

If you happen to own HL1 you can download the game "Deathmatch Classic." It's the same thing, more or less. Obtaining Quake 1 should be as easy as putting it into Google, since any authentication process for that game should be extinct by now. Of course, there's absolutely no guarantee anyone is playing either one anymore.....they just don't hold many folks attention these days.

You could try any game in the Halo series......it's mostly similar, and I hear it's pretty popular......if you want to pay a lot more.

You could also try any of the Perfect Dark MODS.....it's got all kinds of cool guns. You could even get the original, and an N64 pretty cheap these days. It's got a cool feature......Bots! It's also got 4-player split screen, but I've since given that up when I stopped playing my N64 back in 1998.

If you have a PC then you should definitely buy Half-Life 2......you may have heard of it. It's version of deathmatch is rad, and you get to use a weapon called the "Gravity Gun." It's a real steal at $20.....you get lot's more with it......and I hear it's also quite popular.

Well, this has been another job well done for Facetious Man! I'm off to spread redundancy wherever it's most needed! Up, up, and up some more!

(Thanks for the hand-off BTW)
lol...I've got Perfect dark for the N64, I've got HL2, I've got Halo, just need to get a copy of Deathmatch classic, though I thought that was from valve.

Also, screw you for being so sarcastic.
__________________
What was left of my sanity implored me not to enter...but that voice was just a whisper now.
Desyphur is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 03:02 AM   #8
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester
 
Desyphur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon
His point could have been: I shouldn't make fun of Halo players, because kids have the right to share in the same early life game experiences that I did. He may have been trying to advise me that trashing the new package on a good formula sounds like I'm an old bitter jerk.
Yes, it was. Both of those. And I'm going to play Deathmatch Classic if it's a hl1 mod and not a game from steam. Bah it's a game from steam.
__________________
What was left of my sanity implored me not to enter...but that voice was just a whisper now.
Desyphur is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 03:16 AM   #9
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member
 
Peon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Seriously dude, if you own Half-Life 1, that entitles you to play Deathmatch Classic......it's an "official" HL1 MOD.....just like TFC and CS.....and no extra fee.
__________________
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #10
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Ihmhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Newark, NJ, United States
Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
But honestly, isn't Quake free now?
__________________
Support FF:
Anime: The Thread: Reloaded
The one and only anime thread on these here forums.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 07:56 AM   #11
TACO-BELL
 
TACO-BELL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
But honestly, isn't Quake free now?
Sort of. There are a number of free GPL clients out, eg EZquake (http://ezquake.sourceforge.net), but the original Quake 1 game content (models, maps, sounds, textures) is still copyright.

However there's a free package of non copyright Quake 1 compatible replacement content called OpenQuartz (http://openquartz.sourceforge.net).

If you put these two together and optionally add a 24 bit retexture package, you end up with a pretty hot looking FPS, even compared to FF.. but unfortunately no one really plays Quake 1 anymore so it might get boring quick.
TACO-BELL is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #12
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic
 
zSilver_Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ethanol Land
Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO-BELL
Sort of. There are a number of free GPL clients out, eg EZquake (http://ezquake.sourceforge.net), but the original Quake 1 game content (models, maps, sounds, textures) is still copyright.

However there's a free package of non copyright Quake 1 compatible replacement content called OpenQuartz (http://openquartz.sourceforge.net.

If you put these two together and optionally add a 24 bit retexture package, you end up with a pretty hot looking FPS, even compared to FF.. but unfortunately no one really plays Quake 1 anymore so it might get boring quick.
Fixed.
__________________
I have a nasopharyngeal and webcam...

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #13
4est
Fortress Forever Staff
 
4est's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: OK
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur
Peon, do you know anywhere I can get quake deathmatch?
Check out Open Arena. (It's free)

http://www.moddb.com/games/5727/openarena
http://openarena.ws/

It's made by leilei who is 1) a chick and 2) a regular around here.
__________________
Welcome to ZOMBOCOM!
Support FF:
4est is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #14
leilei
o^_^o
 
leilei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Class/Position: O
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Fixed.
[citation needed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est
Check out Open Arena. (It's free)

http://www.moddb.com/games/5727/openarena
http://openarena.ws/

It's made by leilei who is 1) a chick and 2) a regular around here.
That's off of Quake3. Quake3 isn't Quake. You can't zap the water. Physics are a lot more bouncy too.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned using the DarkPlaces engine. It connects to Quakeworld too

You should buy the CD version instead of any download, neat ambient soundtrack.

As for Open Quartz, i'd improve it myself, but the MDL exporting pipeline is hideous. MD2 pipeline is just as bad, which is why you don't see any truly Free Quake2-ishes. (no, Alien Arena, Quake2World and Warsow don't count)

Last edited by leilei; 12-02-2007 at 03:17 PM.
leilei is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic
 
zSilver_Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ethanol Land
Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
i totally agree dude. BTW, halo isnt any thing like quake DM. nor is HL2 DM. Mabye HL1 DM. Halo is alot slower-paced. ALOT and has a alot more options, if you take out modding of course.
Once again:

Humour --------------------------->


































Your small, dense head: ------->
__________________
I have a nasopharyngeal and webcam...

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #16
4est
Fortress Forever Staff
 
4est's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: OK
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Power Tip: Stop turning threads into pissing matches.

I have things I'd rather do to than to keep threads from becoming douchefests.
__________________
Welcome to ZOMBOCOM!
Support FF:

Last edited by 4est; 12-02-2007 at 04:56 PM.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #17
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic
 
zSilver_Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ethanol Land
Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
They started it .
__________________
I have a nasopharyngeal and webcam...

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #18
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator
 
GeoKill----->'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hawthorne, California
Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
All of this was on the Pyro thread so I moved it so what 4est said
__________________

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #19
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual
 
Innoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "Oscar Mike"
Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
I actually just got Doom2 and Quake running on my Nintendo DS. I even dug up my original WAD or PAK files so I could access everything. FWIW, Doom2 plays cleaner and better on that platform...now if I can figure out how to hook a mouse and keyboard up to it...
__________________
Mooga on Obama: He can cut taxes. Actually do something useful. Punch Nancy Pelosi in the face. Just to name a few.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 AM   #20
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team
 
Hirohito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I usually play DMC over Steam. You won't get eaten up by pros if you play it. In fact, most of the players have never touched Quake in their lives, so it's easy to tear them apart if you know how to use the RL half-decently.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.