Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #21
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester
 
moosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
"Don't you see, we're living in a age where it's ok to charge gamers full price for a broken product on release day?!"
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #22
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Companies only care about the money nowadays.
Fixed that first line for ya.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
See kids? Only Iggy and FT are good enough to post when high.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 AM   #23
Everything
HOLY HELL, MEDIC QUICKLY
Wiki Team
Beta Tester
 
Everything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Naples, FL
Class/Position: Spy / Medic - Defense
Gametype: CTF; but not actually going for the objective
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
  • Make a list of three things
  • Tables
  • Chairs
  • Lamp
__________________
Steam Profile
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 04:05 AM   #24
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
GenghisTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dystopia
Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
You mean they are acting like Hollywood?
Yea, and it's a terrible model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
You mean they're acting like a business? *GASP*
Businesses are supposed to act in the interest of their consumers. My whole point is that the legions of 13 year olds who will buy any low-grade, repackaged FPS that has been made 20 times over with a different name and slightly different mechanics, is what drives this vicious cycle of game development. This is what has led to the consolization of blockbuster games, which leaves PC users in the dust because blockbuster titles are almost always shitty console ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Video game developers only care about the money nowadays. Some developers even refuse to fix bugs in their games because it's 'not their problem'...
There's nothing wrong with seeking profit. The profit motive and the price system are ingenious methods of managing resources. The real problem is consoles. Console gaming is screwing over PC gaming and is forcing game developers to act irrationally. Most people don't want to be bothered with PC gaming, it's easier just to buy a console that doesn't need hardware upgrades, and is more portable than a PC and it's peripherals. For this reason, the console market is much larger than the PC gaming market. This is especially true when you get popular games like Halo, COD, etc.

If we want to change this zeitgeist, us PC gamers have to band together and actively try and change the zeitgeist. Look at how open source programming has changed the software market, compared to 10 years ago, practically all the good general-use software is free, or nearly free. It's possible to do the same to the PC video game market, but people have to work towards it. If you told people a decade ago that popular general-use software would be widely available for absolutely free, they'd call you insane.

When the system screws over the little guy, is the exact same moment the little guy (PC gamers) have to turn the tables and start screwing over the big guys.
__________________
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #25
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester
 
KubeDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
Businesses are supposed to act in the interest of their consumers.
And this is where you are wrong. Businesses are supposed to act in the interest of their own personal gains. If they can sell 7 million copies of this game on day one using similar technology/graphics/tactics etc, versus making a brand new game, using brand new ideas costing brand new money, it's going to take a lot longer and cost a lot more money to make thus decreasing their profits. They just want to ride the gravy train as long as they can, and eventually some other company will come along and release something better that also takes their market. But until that time comes, they're going to continue making similar games. It's the same with movie sequels or other games that have spinoffs or sequels.
__________________
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #26
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
GenghisTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dystopia
Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
And this is where you are wrong. Businesses are supposed to act in the interest of their own personal gains. If they can sell 7 million copies of this game on day one using similar technology/graphics/tactics etc, versus making a brand new game, using brand new ideas costing brand new money, it's going to take a lot longer and cost a lot more money to make thus decreasing their profits. They just want to ride the gravy train as long as they can, and eventually some other company will come along and release something better that also takes their market. But until that time comes, they're going to continue making similar games. It's the same with movie sequels or other games that have spinoffs or sequels.
You're completely missing my point because you're ignorant of how economics work. Businesses act in the interest of their consumers because of the profit motive. Companies like EA and Treyarch don't put a gun to your head forcing you to buy their games, instead, they have to make a game that consumers want to buy.

Right now, in the current video game industry, big companies like EA and Treyarch are acting perfectly rationally. They are pursuing the most profit (That's the point of a business). The problem isn't seeking profit, the problem is that there is perverse incentives created by the irrational consumers that lead EA and Treyarch to develop games in the current manner. Imagine if the majority of gamers were like the proto-typical PC gamer. Say they were all PC gamers, who demanded a working, polished product on launch. A game not built on vanity, but on quality. In order to appease niche gamers, it would need to have mod tools, and gamers would need the ability to run their own dedicated servers. If this is how it was, do you really think that Treyarch would be pushing out games like Black Ops? No, they wouldn't, because that would be irrational.

Economic ignorami constantly seek to blame the companies who try and appease economic trends as being 'greedy' or 'money hungry', but they never blame the cause of this 'greedy' behavior. You see, I like to solve problems, and when you go about solving problems, you have to take into account many things, and when you look at an issue as complex as an entire billion-dollar industry, and sum it up to 'lolololol all dey want is da moneyz!!!!', you're going to be simplifying a complex problem, and will inevitably ignore confounding variables--which just makes you sound foolish. Profit is not a bad thing, it's the mechanic that makes sure you have 20 different flavors of yogurt to choose from, it's the mechanic that gives you inumerable choices and options in purchasing an automobile. Profit is perfectly rational. The problem comes in when you have an industry where most consumers are irrational. This forces companies to act rationally irrational. In other words, companies, in their rational pursuit of profit, are lead astray when they are forced to seek profit by appeasing a market of irrational consumers.
__________________
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #27
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
And this is where you are wrong. Businesses are supposed to act in the interest of their own personal gains.
Annnnnnd how do they achieve this?
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #28
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff
 
Lost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Video game developers only care about the money nowadays. Some developers even refuse to fix bugs in their games because it's 'not their problem'...
And I love 'borrowing' those games from my good friend Peerat Bhay.

I've bought my share of shitty games (Scratches, Settlers, FFVIII) so now I don't mind doing some research or even torrenting them first. But if I like it, I buy it.
__________________
Do what you want cuz a pirate is free!

You are a pirate!

Last edited by Lost; 11-15-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #29
JackBauer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts Rated Helpful 20 Times
it's the first CoD I have ever bought. why? because the multiplayer part is supposed to be outstanding and I don't have any decent fps multiplayer games.

besides, 55 dollars in america is nothing compared to the 80 dollars it costs in Switzerland.

I'd rather pay for a game 60-80 dollars once than paying monthly fees too (WoW).
__________________
Swiss Fortress Community

Last edited by JackBauer; 11-15-2010 at 02:42 PM.
JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #30
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester
 
moosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
And I love 'borrowing' those games from my good friend Peerat Bhay.
arr brotha

Last edited by moosh; 11-15-2010 at 03:19 PM.
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #31
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Dexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times

game is for bads. bads where da money at

Last edited by Dexter; 11-15-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #32
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
... for a game 60-80 dollars once than paying monthly fees too (WoW).
Ah, the lesser of two evils argument. I choose no evil.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #33
JackBauer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts Rated Helpful 20 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Ah, the lesser of two evils argument. I choose no evil.
I bought the game in america for about 55 dollars. in Switzerland most games are between 70-80 dollars. I think it's a great deal for me.
__________________
Swiss Fortress Community
JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #34
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Dexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Ah, the lesser of two evils argument. I choose no evil.
Sure, but $15 isnt a lot. Also, don't forget the DLCs ..
hopefully not as FORCED as it was in MW2, but that game was so bad with no dedicated servers and all lol
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #35
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
You're completely missing my point because you're ignorant of how economics work. Businesses act in the interest of their consumers because of the profit motive. Companies like EA and Treyarch don't put a gun to your head forcing you to buy their games, instead, they have to make a game that consumers want to buy.

Right now, in the current video game industry, big companies like EA and Treyarch are acting perfectly rationally. They are pursuing the most profit (That's the point of a business). The problem isn't seeking profit, the problem is that there is perverse incentives created by the irrational consumers that lead EA and Treyarch to develop games in the current manner. Imagine if the majority of gamers were like the proto-typical PC gamer. Say they were all PC gamers, who demanded a working, polished product on launch. A game not built on vanity, but on quality. In order to appease niche gamers, it would need to have mod tools, and gamers would need the ability to run their own dedicated servers. If this is how it was, do you really think that Treyarch would be pushing out games like Black Ops? No, they wouldn't, because that would be irrational.

Economic ignorami constantly seek to blame the companies who try and appease economic trends as being 'greedy' or 'money hungry', but they never blame the cause of this 'greedy' behavior. You see, I like to solve problems, and when you go about solving problems, you have to take into account many things, and when you look at an issue as complex as an entire billion-dollar industry, and sum it up to 'lolololol all dey want is da moneyz!!!!', you're going to be simplifying a complex problem, and will inevitably ignore confounding variables--which just makes you sound foolish. Profit is not a bad thing, it's the mechanic that makes sure you have 20 different flavors of yogurt to choose from, it's the mechanic that gives you inumerable choices and options in purchasing an automobile. Profit is perfectly rational. The problem comes in when you have an industry where most consumers are irrational. This forces companies to act rationally irrational. In other words, companies, in their rational pursuit of profit, are lead astray when they are forced to seek profit by appeasing a market of irrational consumers.
I think the point you are missing, is that these companies are selling games like hotcakes, and have the mindset of "these dumbasses will buy whatever we put out, because A> we tell them it's the hottest thing and B> there isn't anything else out there."

Sad part is, they are generally right.

Micro$oft used to pay stores to shelve software compatible with their OS, which is how Windows won the OS war. Amiga's OS was better(smaller, functionally stable, used less resources in your machine, and produced better graphix and sounds), followed by Apples OS at the time, and in last place, was Windows. M$ used mass marketing, blowing TONS of money on blitze advertising and buying shelf space.... and pushed their shitty product down everyone's throat. Neither Commodore(which owned the Amiga), nor Apple had the financial power to stand up to this assault. Apple did better, because they did some marketing, and came up with some innovative other products, but eventually gave way to M$ compatability. Commodore fucked up in the regard that their owners sucked up valuable capital, and used the rest for R&D.

This is part of the reason I believe Americans are stupid; "Oh, look... they have lots of software for this machine, it MUST be better!" without doing a lick of research.

Now, these companies are after one thing, and one thing only... money. And Americans are turning it over to them by the ton, to buy a game that they will play for maybe a month, then buy the newest "hot title".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
See kids? Only Iggy and FT are good enough to post when high.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #36
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I love how Iggy, an American, spends so much time criticizing and generalizing other Americans.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-16-2010, 02:20 AM   #37
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff
 
Lost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Its our gol-damd rite.

Save the thread from being cast into the abyssal debate-ness!
__________________
Do what you want cuz a pirate is free!

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #38
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I love how Iggy, an American, spends so much time criticizing and generalizing other Americans.
I'm only an American by birth, not idealism or behavior. I've been elsewhere, and would prefer to BE elsewhere. Once the time comes, I will be. Count on it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
See kids? Only Iggy and FT are good enough to post when high.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-16-2010, 05:17 AM   #39
Etzell
D&A Member
 
Etzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I'm only an American by [the exact definition of the term.]
Fixed that for you.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #40
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Crazycarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Right, so people in other countries are insusceptible to marketing and always make informed decisions? I think you're setting yourself for some major disappointment once you leave the country.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.