Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
CaptainAhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
HL2CTF

Saw this on Greenlight recently, and it looks like a hoot.

Any of you played this before? What did you think?

http://hl2ctf.com/
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
ian.de
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 14 Times
Yeah it's a cool game but no one plays it.
ian.de is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Dexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
yea a really awesome mod, well done but no one plays source mods rip
__________________
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
ddm999
worst ff player eu
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Yorks., England
Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
Well, apart from ones which are easy to learn and therefore flooded with kids who watch ppl on youtube.
__________________
gg ff not ded
ff very much alive
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
CaptainAhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
Well, apart from ones which are easy to learn and therefore flooded with kids who watch ppl on youtube.
Which are...?
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester
 
FDA_Approved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
He may be refering to the surge in players Hidden source saw after seananners made a video series of playing it. I think he's featured a few other source mods on his channel, and there may be some other popular youtuber who's played a source mod.
__________________
Currently equipped: Rad Scarf of liberating happiness.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
CaptainAhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
He may be refering to the surge in players Hidden source saw after seananners made a video series of playing it. I think he's featured a few other source mods on his channel, and there may be some other popular youtuber who's played a source mod.
Seananners put up a couple videos of Goldeneye Source, which looks entertaining. Does you have any experience with Hidden? I'll check out the video later, maybe see if it populated, etc.

In spite of the fact that everyone (including me) loves to complain how dead FF is, compared to most other Source mods, this is kickin'.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester
 
FDA_Approved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Seananners put up a couple videos of Goldeneye Source, which looks entertaining. Does you have any experience with Hidden? I'll check out the video later, maybe see if it populated, etc.

In spite of the fact that everyone (including me) loves to complain how dead FF is, compared to most other Source mods, this is kickin'.
I have a couple friends who play hidden from time to time, and I've watched them play it. But I've never played it myself. I think it's always been about as populated as FF, and last I checked it was a little more popular than FF due to the publicity.
__________________
Currently equipped: Rad Scarf of liberating happiness.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #9
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
CaptainAhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I have a couple friends who play hidden from time to time, and I've watched them play it. But I've never played it myself. I think it's always been about as populated as FF, and last I checked it was a little more popular than FF due to the publicity.
Sounds good, thanks for the info! Have a good evening.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
ddm999
worst ff player eu
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Yorks., England
Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
little more popular
Last time I played Hidden, it had about 50 players at every time.

Suicide Survival (played by SeaNanners) is also getting way more popular, and GoldenEye: Source has 40+ at once now, despite the fact when I played it before SeaNanners and the group of guys who do stuff with him (aka. EatMyDiction, GassyMexican, GoldGlove, etc.) played it, it had about 4 players at any time.

FF's playerbase is still only here 'cause we've invested too much time into it to leave. ;D

Also, the mainly US only is really annoying and means I have only a few hours a day to play FF. I'd fckin play it all day if people played in EU times.
__________________
gg ff not ded
ff very much alive
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
CaptainAhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Downloading Hidden now, we'll see how it goes.

I have tried HL2CTF on about five different occasions, and nothing. However, the lead developer responded to a post I made on the Greenlight page and cited a problem with the server browser, and gave me a couple of IP addresses to punch in. Pretty sad.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! Hidden Source has well over 50 people on it. Jesus.

Last edited by CaptainAhab; 06-22-2013 at 08:59 PM.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester
 
FDA_Approved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Downloading Hidden now, we'll see how it goes.

I have tried HL2CTF on about five different occasions, and nothing. However, the lead developer responded to a post I made on the Greenlight page and cited a problem with the server browser, and gave me a couple of IP addresses to punch in. Pretty sad.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! Hidden Source has well over 50 people on it. Jesus.
HL2CTF likely ran into the same problem as we did with the server browser. We have a fix for it, it should work for them too. Perhaps we should share that with them, but idk where would be the proper place too.

Hidden is alright. It's highly gimicky, and nothing I could play on a consistent basis.
__________________
Currently equipped: Rad Scarf of liberating happiness.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
ddm999
worst ff player eu
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Yorks., England
Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
WTF?

According to ModDB, Fortress Forever is now the 115th released HL2 mod despite the fact I checked it a month ago and it was the 3rd. WTH?
(also supposedly a mod for HL2 came out in 1985. srsly?)

I was gonna say something about FF being the first total conversion mod for HL2 on ModDB, but I guess I can't now. D:
__________________
gg ff not ded
ff very much alive

Last edited by ddm999; 06-23-2013 at 10:37 AM.
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
CaptainAhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Well that's odd.

Finally found two players on HL2CTF servers, but that was it. I'll leave it installed but eh, FF is way more popular.

Uninstalled Hidden because, well, it did nothing for me.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #15
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Dexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
WTF?

According to ModDB, Fortress Forever is now the 115th released HL2 mod despite the fact I checked it a month ago and it was the 3rd. WTH?
(also supposedly a mod for HL2 came out in 1985. srsly?)

I was gonna say something about FF being the first total conversion mod for HL2 on ModDB, but I guess I can't now. D:
think its recent patches for 'released' or something like that
__________________
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
CaptainAhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Well in any case -- ended up deleting HL2CTF because it is even more dead than FF; Hidden didn't really do anything for me; Goldeneye Source is awesome and actually has a moderately-sized player base, though the game feels pretty dated and I doubt I will be playing it for very long.

Cube World looks really cool, though I'm not sure if it will really "overtake" Minecraft.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester
 
FDA_Approved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Well in any case -- ended up deleting HL2CTF because it is even more dead than FF; Hidden didn't really do anything for me; Goldeneye Source is awesome and actually has a moderately-sized player base, though the game feels pretty dated and I doubt I will be playing it for very long.

Cube World looks really cool, though I'm not sure if it will really "overtake" Minecraft.
Cube world looks absolutely amazing. But it's not at all intended to be like minecraft. It certainly draws inspiration from minecraft. But you can not free form build or freely destroy terrain or any blocks. There are some natural terrain you can destroy with bombs, and the building is limited to premade templates.

Cube world sets its focus on exploration and combat. Which it does much more amazingly than minecraft. The entire world is randomly generated. It generates towns which look quite nice. And the towns are filled with npcs that aren't pointless gits. Combat also looks pretty fun.

If you're looking for something more along the lines of minecraft but better. Then blockscape is where to look. I've posted a thread about it. I suggest looking at some of the screen shots. It looks gorgeous. The naturally generated terrain has a kind of geometry blending going on. So that it's still all voxels and can be destroyed/built upon as such. But because of the blending everything is much more rounded and natural looking. You can also build like that using the "sculpting tool" for a rounded kind of free form build. The landscapes also look much better and varied than MC. That's one of my beefs with MC. So many good version of it's terrain algorythm in the past, but the current one only makes a bunch of shitty looking hills in tiny biomes where evertything is covered in unatural looking trees.

BS also has slants, which MC doesn't. Of course you used to be able to DL a mod for that. But that particular mod has been abandoned much like many mods, due to the constant updating of MC with pointless lack luster shit.

And that's pretty much the essence of MC. A lackluster game with so much unfulfilled potential. It's made by people who hardly know how to code and severely lack inspiration, or at least the know how to follow through on it.

Once BS and CW are out, everyone who's not 12 will go to the respective game catering to their play styles. Or they'll play both.
__________________
Currently equipped: Rad Scarf of liberating happiness.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.