Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Communities, Leagues, Clans and Guilds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #21
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
desperate and would only inspire a temporary fanbase
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #22
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
GenghisTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dystopia
Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Eye View Post
What he posted would suggest the 1000 to be broken up differently depending on the ladder- Plat might get 500, Gold 250, Silver 150, Bronze 100 or something.

If you lowball yourself into a lower bracket (which could be stopped using Steam_IDs), the maximum amount of money you could win is greatly lessened.

Personally, I'd like to think that the fun factor of a more competitive bracket would be enough, but that won't hold for a lot of people.
I've played with some of the people in the pickup community. I wouldn't put anything past a few of them. A lot of FF players are players from TFC, and in TFC there were a lot of hackers, and there were a lot of people who were aliasing to circumvent bans, and many of them were never caught. A steam ID won't protect you from fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy View Post
Money.
Money will make people play temporarily. What happens when the tournament is over? How are you going to get people to stick around?

I also think we're missing the most obvious point here;

Make the game appealing to new players.
__________________

Last edited by GenghisTron; 06-04-2010 at 12:02 AM.
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #23
zE
Pew pew ze beams
 
zE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarPig View Post
If I offered up $1000 in cash for a FF tourny with divisions so that People got to play in skill levels of their own, and each division had a final winner for a lump sum...

You think we could pull in a good crowd? I know a lot more involvement is needed aside from just saying it and I am going to be able to support it all along with web service , etc.. just wondering on the topic.

Also for the others who say they won't play FF cuz it's too E - Z ... ya think some cash would get their attention to play ?
Money prize would help for sure, no doubt it would be a extra incentive, but this topic is a bit misleading because I know for a fact that you can´t even pay for 15 dolars server so how you gonna get 1000 lol.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #24
chilledsanity
D&A Member
 
chilledsanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy View Post
Money.
Possibly a couple, but I doubt it. Look at it this way:

Say a mod you haven't played before announced that it's giving away money for the winner of a tournament. Would you really go download the mod, train at it, then assume you can get better at it than everyone you'll be competing against in time before the tournament starts?

Or would you assume "Hey, I've never played this mod before and this prize money will probably bring out the die hard players in it that will kick my ass. I think I'll save myself the effort."

Of course if someone has a raging ego, they might make assumption #1, but I doubt most people would.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-04-2010, 05:13 AM   #25
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester
 
KubeDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
desperate and would only inspire a temporary fanbase
Agreed
__________________
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #26
chilledsanity
D&A Member
 
chilledsanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Yeah, if you want a temporary fanbase increase, a patch will do that for free.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #27
cjeshjoir™
1-800-UNAGIPOWA
 
cjeshjoir™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Gametype: AvD, Spirit of TFC
Affiliations: ™.AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to cjeshjoir™ Send a message via Skype™ to cjeshjoir™
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity View Post
Yeah, if you want a temporary fanbase increase, a patch will do that for free.
Im not so sure about that....
cjeshjoir™ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #28
glass 2.0
Beta Tester
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stockholm
Class/Position: Everythang
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Clan Untitled [-] / [TW]
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Dear lord, and ppl complain that this mod is dead. Go for it dude, nevermind the fucking naysayers. Definately better than doing nothing.
glass 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #29
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
CHURCHMOUTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Class/Position: Soldier D
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Goodfellas
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
im so sick of people bashing everyone for trying to do good in this community, cjesh or w/e partial schism to name a few, this guys trying to bring life to a game some of us love will you please go play your fucking tf2 and stupid other bullshit and stop posing ur negative shit in our forums, srsly partial why do u still post here man? fuck off already

edit: go ahead and remove this post and keep thoes other faggots posts up it doesnt bother me anymore

Last edited by CHURCHMOUTH; 06-05-2010 at 07:11 PM.
CHURCHMOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #30
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Ricey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Park, FL
Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHURCHMOUTH View Post
im so sick of people bashing everyone for trying to do good in this community, cjesh or w/e partial schism to name a few, this guys trying to bring life to a game some of us love will you please go play your fucking tf2 and stupid other bullshit and stop posing ur negative shit in our forums, srsly partial why do u still post here man? fuck off already

edit: go ahead and remove this post and keep thoes other faggots posts up it doesnt bother me anymore
+1

Seriously, why the fuck are you here if you are saying FF is dead.

If FF is soo fucking dead, then fuck off, go play with yourselfs.

Oh, cjeshjoir, stfu. Annoying cunt bag.
__________________
Support FF:
Maps : Haste |Scrummage |Mulch_Trench
Voltage | Exchange Classic | Fortsake
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership


'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #31
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Elmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
calm it people - else I'll get my penis out.
__________________
Support FF:
Done: ff_monkey
Done: ff_bases
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 06-05-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #32
cjeshjoir™
1-800-UNAGIPOWA
 
cjeshjoir™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Gametype: AvD, Spirit of TFC
Affiliations: ™.AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to cjeshjoir™ Send a message via Skype™ to cjeshjoir™
Whoa dudes, I didn't realize you two needed a hug THAT BADLY. Come here, let momma fondle your genitals, everything will be OK.
cjeshjoir™ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #33
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On
 
PartialSchism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississippi
Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
Exo the fuck is your problem. Dunno what I did to you, but whatever. Looks like you're mad that FF will eventually die. Everything good must come to an end, so suck it up, and find something better to do.

edit:
And as for why I'm still here? I would love to see this game thrive, so I like to keep an eye on things. But I feel this will never happen, especially with *upstanding gentleman* like you guys.
User received a warning for this post

Last edited by PartialSchism; 06-06-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: i like mine better
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #34
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Fortress Forever is not a biological entity so death isn't a permanent state. The people who still hang around despite the game being presently dead might have some optimism that it could someday get some of its life back. Of course, every attempt at advertising the game from spamming forums to making videos to hosting tournaments with money ends up being a temporary solution, because the problem is not public relations. The problem is not making the game accessible. It's on the most popular virtual distribution system. It's a free game. It practically sells itself in that regard.

I see people join Fortress Forever all the time. I see new faces every time I join the Talos server. The problem is that these new faces never come back. When you survey these individuals, the same responses are always given to you. The game is too much a niche game-mode, where the skill threshold is too high, and beginner integration is insane. The community is absolutely terrible (filled with elitists) save for those few rare kind souls. Last, there's nothing to keep you motivated. The game has no direction. No incentive. We should just call it 'Join a Pub and Deathmatch Fortress', because that's what it is.

@Exo: I don't know how fucking ignorant you are, but PartialSchism has done more for this modification than a lot of people have. Most of the custom content available for this mod is directly from him. People are allowed to have critical opinions. It's called life. Learn to deal with it. Besides, you ever heard of constructive criticism? Criticizing something doesn't mean you hate it.

This idea, while it has good intentions, would fail. It would inspire only a temporary fanbase. It's a desperate tactic. Do you think the people would stick around after the tournament were over? Maybe they would in anticipation for another tournament. If they did manage to stick around, we would have to question: Are they here because they honestly love this game or because we're so desperate we have to pay people to be interested? It's a bad idea.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #35
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
CHURCHMOUTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Class/Position: Soldier D
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Goodfellas
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
im not ignorant im just tired of seeing people with ideas get shot down by people who dont even play the game and are turned off by the whole thing as a result

ps partial schisms custom content sucks

Last edited by CHURCHMOUTH; 06-06-2010 at 07:23 PM.
CHURCHMOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #36
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On
 
PartialSchism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississippi
Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHURCHMOUTH View Post
ps partial schisms custom content sucks
So do your maps, what's your point? That both of us have wasted our time for the good of a game, to have a few people not appreciate it? Such is life.
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #37
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
The idea got shot down because it's a bad idea. It might have good intentions, but it isn't going to do much for the mod. Someone will leave with a handful of cash, and we'll be right back in the same situation with maybe a few more people who only stick around because they were bribed to do so.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #38
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
CHURCHMOUTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Class/Position: Soldier D
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Goodfellas
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
its only a bad idea to the people who have no chance of winning the money like yourselves

you know damn well i would be getting sum of dat

Last edited by CHURCHMOUTH; 06-06-2010 at 09:42 PM.
CHURCHMOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #39
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
GenghisTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dystopia
Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
__________________
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #40
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On
 
PartialSchism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississippi
Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
For real... Hakuna Matata guys.
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.