Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

View Poll Results: Vista-be-gone?
Yes, switched back to Xp 13 30.23%
No, still use Vista *sigh* 14 32.56%
I never bothered to install Vista anyway 16 37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 04:20 AM   #41
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
DRM HURTS HONEST PEOPLE IN THE SAME WAY UAC HURTS PEOPLE WHO HAD NO INTENTION OF DOING ANYTHING STUPID.

God dammit quit asking stupid questions when you should know what he meant.
__________________
Look at all those dead links.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #42
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member
 
greenday5494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous View Post
DRM HURTS HONEST PEOPLE IN THE SAME WAY UAC HURTS PEOPLE WHO HAD NO INTENTION OF DOING ANYTHING STUPID.

God dammit quit asking stupid questions when you should know what he meant.
i laughed my ass off
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-04-2009, 05:36 AM   #43
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual
 
Innoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "Oscar Mike"
Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous View Post
DRM HURTS HONEST PEOPLE IN THE SAME WAY UAC HURTS PEOPLE WHO HAD NO INTENTION OF DOING ANYTHING STUPID.

God dammit quit asking stupid questions when you should know what he meant.
It's not a stupid question Circ. It was an honest question. Learn to recognize the difference.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #44
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
If it's an honest question, you either don't read so good, are an idiot, or take things so literally that you can't make a very simple association.

If it's not an honest question, you're baiting him into an argument for no reason.

I'd prefer the latter honestly.
__________________
Look at all those dead links.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #45
~kev~
pmagnvs
D&A Member
 
~kev~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Texas
Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494 View Post
no, vista is not the new ME. i disagree.
Time will tell. A couple of years after the next microsoft OS is released, only then will we be able to look back.
__________________
team fortress forum | survival gear
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #46
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual
 
Innoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "Oscar Mike"
Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous View Post
If it's an honest question, you either don't read so good, are an idiot, or take things so literally that you can't make a very simple association.

If it's not an honest question, you're baiting him into an argument for no reason.

I'd prefer the latter honestly.
UAC is designed to protect the user from bad things though the implementation is terrible. DRM is simply designed to protect profits from piracy yet most implementation only hinders the honest person from legitimate use. I was trying to be sure of the context in which greenday was making the comparison as my initial impression was that he did not understand what one or the other actually was. Rather than assume his ignorance I was asking questions to be sure. I did not wish to stand on assumption. That you choose to do so is your prerogative. Don't presume to tell me what to do or what I am doing.

Feel free to apologize now.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #47
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Damn, you ARE funny.

My only assumption was that the parallel he drew made a modicum of sense, which it did. I then assumed you must have lost your mind, and considering you're asking me to apologize it looks like that was dead-on as well.
__________________
Look at all those dead links.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #48
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual
 
Innoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "Oscar Mike"
Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous View Post
Damn, you ARE funny.

My only assumption was that the parallel he drew made a modicum of sense, which it did. I then assumed you must have lost your mind, and considering you're asking me to apologize it looks like that was dead-on as well.
And, of course, what you think encompasses all reasonable options. Look, you guys constantly ride Greenday and act like assholes. That you only seem to have the option of being an asshole doesn't mean everyone else is.

So, yeah, you're still free to apologize.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #49
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member
 
greenday5494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
i caused this? Cool.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #50
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986
 
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Belgium a.k.a. absurdistan
Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494 View Post
i caused this? Cool.
Way to freak my topic up.

You get NO cookies.
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #51
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff
 
mervaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK
Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
back on topic: i've recently ditched ubuntu for debian on my main computer because the ubuntu installer lacks LVM. i've since found out the alternate installer supports it anyway.. bah!

LVM is tres cool.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #52
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
Hawk Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka View Post
i'm rather sceptical of gaming through a fully fledged virtual machine. if the game doesnt run natively, wine *should* be a more logical step than running a complete VM, surely?
If push comes to shove I'll just dualboot for gaming.

Wine has worked wonders on the few games my little brother made me install, but I've had issues with others running at a maximum of 5 fps or so.

I haven't tried STEAM yet.. That'll be a fun weekend.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #53
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff
 
mervaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK
Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
its never going to be ideal running anything through steam, least of all games. have you tried native quake3 yet? (try openarena)

runs like a gazelle with a hot iron up its arse.

oh and i've since picked ubuntu back up, this time 8.04LTS amd64 off the alternate installer.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #54
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester
 
Pixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Amerika
Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494 View Post
no, vista is not the new ME. i disagree.

and windows 7 is not the "Vista is should've been" or w/e. it's just an improvement to vista, a minor one at that. Vista changed a lot under the hood, windows 7 is more for the interface this time around
I thought windows 7 was focused on performance. The beta is faster at doing 95% of everything.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236&page=1

Data is on 2nd page.
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-07-2009, 02:59 AM   #55
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual
 
Innoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "Oscar Mike"
Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
I thought windows 7 was focused on performance. The beta is faster at doing 95% of everything.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236&page=1

Data is on 2nd page.
It will be interesting to see if Microsoft will leave it that way.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-07-2009, 03:13 AM   #56
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester
 
Pixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Amerika
Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Also windows seven will come with divx and some other codecs (or so they say).
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 AM   #57
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual
 
Innoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "Oscar Mike"
Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
Also windows seven will come with divx and some other codecs (or so they say).
Wonder if it will also come with directsound... :Ponder:
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #58
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999
 
illogicality-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Class/Position: Yes
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [ gr. ], UGC-FF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494 View Post
there's nothing wrong with Vista except bad rep
couldn't agree more. Vista is different, which is the natural progression of things - change. Vista has such a bad rep because of these bargain shoppers who go to best buy/walmart and expect to buy the $299 special (1.8ghz, 512mb, 160gb) and have it run like a dream. Not gonna happen. I've been using Vista for 8 months now and have never had a blue screen or any issue. Of course, I don't own a bargain-bin computer (2.2ghzx4, 4gb ddr1066mhz, 160gb 10krpm hdd) but if you do it right, vista is pretty execptional.

EDIT:

To all those talking about Windows 7: Have any of you actually used it? It's VERY similar to Vista but based on Windows Server 2008 kernel which will make it a tad bit more stable. The driver issues will STILL EXIST, it STILL HOGS RAM. MS is aiming Windows 7 toward businesses with features like vpn-less connect to the office, enhanced remote desktop features and remote management. Please don't get yoru hopes up for a completely re-vamped, XP-like operating system; it's simply not going to happen.

My advice, stop resisting change. Go get yourself another gb of ram, upgrade your PC if you need to. Get used to Vista because that's where the future is headed.
__________________
[ gr. illogicality- ] #ff.gr #ugc-ff
illogicality- is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #59
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff
 
mervaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK
Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
but why should bloat be compulsory? fuck windows if thats its future.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #60
Owoc
natural selection player
 
Owoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: subset of RRR
Class/Position: alien (fade), marine (comm)
Gametype: classic ns
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
You can disable superfetch if you don't want vista to hog ram.
You can disable search indexing if you don't want your hard disk to rattle constantly.
You can disable UAC if you don't like it.

I fail to see much other bloat in the system.
Owoc is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
funny, handbags, windows vista, windows xp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.