From Fortress Forever Wiki
|| 150 (60%)
A fireman gone horribly wrong, the Pyro is the chaos-causer of Fortress Forever. He carries a multitude of flame-based weapons to set enemies alight and burn them to death.
The Pyro's main weapon is the flamethrower. It pumps out a continuous stream of flames and has a huge ammo reserve; allowing the Pyro to harass and control areas for extensive periods of time. He also packs an incendiary cannon and napalm grenades to complete his fiery repertoire. The main tools of a good Pyro are harassment and confusion. On offense, he can keep enemies preoccupied while the faster, more mobile classes make their way to the objective untouched.
- Hit enemies with your Incendiary Cannon, then zigzag towards them and attack them with your Flamethrower for maximum burn damage.
- Pyro Jump: use your Flamethrower and Incendiary Cannon to get to otherwise inaccessible locations.
Right clicking changes between the Flamethrower and the Incendiary Cannon, making it easy to get somebody to level 2 burn and Pyro Jump!
A Pyro cannot be lit on fire. He still takes full damage from flame-based weapons, however.
The standard-issue crowbar for every class. It does some damage, but not enough to make a difference in a battle against a full-health opponent. It's a good humiliation tool for someone who is about to die, however.
Good for taking potshots if the enemy is out of range of your other weapons.
The signature weapon of the Pyro. The flame stream does considerable damage by itself, but it works best when combined with the stacking damage-over-time effects of the Pyro's other flame weaponry.
Fires flaming projectiles in an arc, which don't do much damage unless combined with the Flamethrower. Can perform rocket jumps similar to the Soldier's.
The basic grenade: A lot of damage, large blast radius. The frag grenade is useful for taking out sentry guns, instakilling scouts or other weak opponents, and general destruction.
Since the addition of flame damage stacking, these are arguably the Pyro's main grenade. He spawns with 2 every life, so make good use of them. A Napalm Grenade has an initial explosion that deals substantial damage and then a bunch of flaming balls (for lack of a better word) scatter around the ground where the grenade exploded. These deal continued damage over time and light any enemy that walks through it on fire.
Additional Strategy and Tips
- See Class:Pyro/Strategy for more information.
- You should primarily focus on killing and harassing defenders to clear the way for your teammmates, but don't be afraid to take the enemy flag of the opportunity arises.
- You're one of the worst classes against the Sentry Gun. If you can't get close enough to circle-strafe a Sentry with your Flamethrower, your only option is to use Frag Grenades.
- Watch out for EMP Grenades, they will instantly kill a Pyro with a fully loaded Flamethrower.
- Use Napalm Grenades in confined spaces to cause maximum disruption.
- Remember the Flamethrower and IC are powerful movement tools.
- Stay outside the flag room and try to land hits on passing attackers with both your Flamethrower and IC, to cause level 2 burn and make it easy for your teammates to finish them off.
- You're most effective against slower classes such as Soldiers and Demomen. Consider switching to another class if the enemy has a lot of Scouts.
Playing Against a Pyro
- Because he carries a lot of cells, an EMP Grenade will leave a Pyro extremely wounded if it doesn't instantly kill him.
- The Pyro has no reliable anti-Sentry weapons. A well-placed Sentry in the flag room is a good defense against all classes, but especially Pyros.
- As a Soldier or Demoman, try to knock him back with rockets or grenades.
- As a Medic, hit him with your Super Shotgun while retreating. If he manages to close the distance, pull out your Medkit and try to infect him as he burns you with his Flamethrower.
- The Pyro's flame weapons are totally useless in deep water.
- The Medic's Medkits will instantly extinguish burning teammates.