From Fortress Forever Wiki
Territory Control, aka Control Point, aka Command Point, aka Domination, is a game type where each team vies for control of a series of points found scattered throughout the map. Points can be captured by players carrying their team's flag touching the command point base. Carrying a flag may or may not slow down the player depending on the map-maker's decision. Some maps like warpath (sequential) don't even have flags -- anybody can capture points. Teams score a point every x seconds for each control point they hold. Holding a large number of points obviously builds a larger score. Teams can score a decisive advantage by capturing 100% of the control points for a sizeable points bonus. If this should occur, the map will either reset and everyone will respawn & get ready to go again, or the points will simply pass into neutral ownership, ready to be captured once more.
Some control point maps allow an objective in either team's base to be destroyed by a detpack, thus causing all control points held by that team to become neutral. This feature is pretty much useless in today's TF gameplay, so it should be replaced with something useful. Suggestions include a points bonus, or turning all held points over to the enemy team -- good enough in many situations to force an instant all-cap for the detonating team.
Types of Territory Control
- Parallel. Each point is indepedently held and can be captured or lost by the attacking or defending team respectively.
- Sequential. Each point must be captured in a linear fashion. To capture point three, you must have control of point two. To capture point four, you require point three and so on. Each point has a short delay after being captured before it is available for transfer into the other team's ownership (to stop points changing hands repeatedly). Capturing 100% of the points in a fraction of a second is possible by placing a friendly player on all enemy held points. Sequential Territory Control is a much more cat & mouse game, as things can change in an instant (as a team can go from holding four points to zero points in a matter of a few seconds).
Typical values (Parallel Territory Control featuring flags)
- All command points can be potentially captured at any time
- Flag carriers move at half speed
- 1 team point scored per command point held each 30 seconds
- 2 personal points scored per capture
- 25 team points scored for holding all points
- All points reset to neutral upon all cap
- Detonating the command centre results in all enemy flag points being reset to neutral <- This should probably change to something more worthwhile -- discussion page -- Defrag
Typical values (Sequential Territory Control with no flags)
- Command points may only be captured in a sequential fashion
- Once a point is captured, it may not be recaptured by the opposing team for a period of 15 seconds
- 0 team points per point captured
- 2 personal points per point captured
- 30 team points scored for capturing all points
- 10 personal points for scoring the final capture
- Game resets and everyone respawns upon all cap