Aye a password would be best.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #22
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nest
It's funny how the same people that accelerated the death of TFC (by making new players, however few there were, as unwelcome as possible) are already trying to kill off FF.

I'd like to see the elitist, retarded, [] culture servers stick a password on to eliminate any possibility of new players to the game being exposed to them. I'm sure you'll have no problems distributing the password in your circle-jerking IRC rooms.

I was on one such server for 10 minutes the other day and in that space of time saw 3 obviously brand new players trying out the mod get derided and booted off the server for not conforming to stupid jaded rules of how the game should be played.

TF2 is coming, you should be embracing every single new player we get for FF - please don't be so shortsighted!

Oh and that Unknownfigure guy that posted is a prime example of those morons I was talking about - funny how the only thing stopping him from being a bigger moron is the slim chance that person he ridicules might be a server admin somewhere else. I WILL EMAIL BOMB U LOLZ
bear in mind that the bashing works both ways.. bashing the TFC vets like that doesnt score you brownie points..

play nice.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #23
Nest

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
If I was after Brownie points I'd join the Brownies. Believe me, scoring points with 'vets' is probably the last thing on my agenda. It just irritates me to distraction seeing the same negative group of players attempting to alienate players new to the Team Fortress gaming concept.
Nest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #24
MikeFed

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
The point is more that name calling and flaming like in your post makes you look just as bad to the casual reader as these elitist retards you are complaining about.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #25
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Not everyone who plays on those servers are newbie-bashing fascists, if this is the tone you want to use then don't expect people to take you seriously.
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #26
Dinosaur Gas
www.tfcgaschamber.com

Gametype: TFC
Affiliations: -CLT-
Send a message via ICQ to Dinosaur Gas Send a message via AIM to Dinosaur Gas Send a message via Yahoo to Dinosaur Gas
Servers with league-style rules and servers that restrict bhop should state this in their hostname. That would be the considerate thing to do. Don't lure people into your server just so you can feel all powerful when you ban the poor guys.

Dinosaur Gas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #27
gizmofo
The Bestest

Send a message via AIM to gizmofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
After a nice little conflict on another server, I wish to make a request to the community.

Keep the elitism out. There are many new players to the game, and like another member has stated, there are too many elitist players who flame out those who ask questions. Hell, asking about meds on D on Odin's Graveyard (if the admin who banned me is reading this, I wasn't aware that yard D was bannable), I got chewed out and flamed, and called a moron. My appologies for not knowing the top league players for TFC, as I havn't followed leagues in a long time, and only then, I just played for {kTp} from time to time.

If you're one of those people who flames those who ask "stupid questions," please work on your attitude. FF is in the crucial stages of building a community base, and helping to revive Fortress gameplay (TF2 will also be a major piece in the puzzle, but together they'll work best). When people come on asking questions and get flamed out to no end because they don't know how to drop a flag, they get a negative impression, and judge the community based on it. And you know what?

Except for hardcore leaguers and trickjumpers, TFC is dead. There are no new players, only regs on various pubs. One thing that's keeping people from getting into it is the elitism existing in it today. Please keep it confined to that. Fortress Forever has a large amount of potential, but as a community game, it's up to the community to decide how long it should live.

Tl;dr: Drop the elitism kthxbai.

PS I'm aware of the other thread on this, but it doesn't seem to be getting across to other people. Merge/delete/lock/whatever if you see fit, O Mighty Moderators/Devs.
Wait so it was an instant ban? No warning?
gizmofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #28
FRaaG

[

Edit: The elitist fags have to remember the time they FIRST played TFC, and the old crowd back then. In those days, I remember almost everyone being really cool with me, and when I would fuck up, they would help me out and shit. And I'm talking back in '99-'02. We all just gotta be cool and help EVERYONE out, so we can hurry up and start having some real skillful, archaic fun.[/QUOTE]

I agree , i stopped playing tfc in 2000, but i remember the the good naturedness of the vets ,although not so on all servers[but there was 20000+ back then]

I rejoined about a year ago and was SHOCKED by the change,some servers [alas
now 600+]are full of WANKERS, others have 'flamers' that scream obcenity's because ur standing in THEIR line of sight,or u 'accidently' team-shoot them
I'm glad that a community has formed in my absence that appears to be made up of the old school type gamers.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #29
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmofo
Wait so it was an instant ban? No warning?
None. I went out to defend the flag, and some guy started screaming "OvO!" when I killed them on my way to the flag, I said it was yard D (that shit happens all the time on the Odin's TFC server. You get half the enemy team at your FD trying to extend the time the flag stays uncapped). Next thing I know, I see the server admin standing ontop of the median bunker (I was polite enough to not kill him, as I figured he was typing something), and back to main screen: "Kicked by console." Retry connection, "Steam ID blahblahblah is banned from this server."

Then again, being sworn at, called a fag, moron, loser, and dumbfuck really makes me respect superior players. There were new players on there who were asked to abide by the rules, but were given no further warning. Basically they were told: "League rules, no OvO."

And when a new player sees that, the first impression is a negative one, and trust me, it's extremely hard to fix that.

If you are running a server with league play rules, please put it in the server name, or PW it.

TFC is still alive, yes, but the problem is that the only people playing it these days are veterans, pub regs, and elitists. There are only a few good players remaining, that are actually helpful.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #30
Marchy

to me it goes both ways, you have the retards that obviously don't understand TEAM in TFC/TF2 and just end up acting (or actually are?) 13 yr old douches....and then you have the elitist asshole.....in the end, neither helps the game.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:16 PM   #31
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
its the elitists who should know better though. kids will be kids.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #32
Storm{63}

Hi all

I used to play TFC and I ran into a few ass holes back then but it was not ever realy that bad.(for me)

On FF i have met alot of players already and i have no complaints,maybe im lucky idk, Even tho i have not had any trouble YET with Vets or any one else i agree with the OP and if i can do any thing to help a new comer I will do my best.

Mod kicks ass Thanks guys.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:51 AM   #33
Industry

Unfortunately, most of the real elitists will never change their attitude. It's very obvious who is and isn't. Most of them are widely hated except by other elitists, they stick in groups. We just have to outweigh them by being welcoming to the newcomers.
Industry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 04:08 AM   #34
gizmofo
The Bestest

Send a message via AIM to gizmofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
None. I went out to defend the flag, and some guy started screaming "OvO!" when I killed them on my way to the flag, I said it was yard D (that shit happens all the time on the Odin's TFC server. You get half the enemy team at your FD trying to extend the time the flag stays uncapped). Next thing I know, I see the server admin standing ontop of the median bunker (I was polite enough to not kill him, as I figured he was typing something), and back to main screen: "Kicked by console." Retry connection, "Steam ID blahblahblah is banned from this server."
I'm alright with elitists, just so long as they throw us a forewarning.
And what the hell league rules? FF doesn't have any leagues and/or rules in state. Only ones I found were the normal hl2 (not TF) rules listed in STA and UGC. None of which state no OvO/Yard D.
Well, at least your server list is clear of one more elitist server.
gizmofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 04:51 AM   #35
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
Not everyone who plays on those servers are newbie-bashing fascists, if this is the tone you want to use then don't expect people to take you seriously.
I'm well aware of that, but there are sadly plenty out there who need to get their panties out of a bunch. They'd gain tons of respect if those on high horses got off and started helping out new players. The idea of someone who can pull off a conced airshot 300 feet away while munching on a sandwhich paying attention to someone new to the game makes the new player feel more welcome.

To those who are flaming and bashing the elitists and stuff: Grow up. Really. You're no better than them when you start falling to their level.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 05:47 AM   #36
NoComply

Ya I wish we can stop that too, I tried to speak out against an admin and ended up muted, could have been a ban. There will always be dumbass admins that ruin it for other players, but give new players some credit! They've probably ran into those losers before. FF is pretty fun right off the bat so lets hope the get hooked before the elitists scare them away! I always end up finding a new server to play on.

I totally hate how if you ask a question they stomp on you, we just need to help the new players so that they can enjoy this wonderful game as much as us.
NoComply is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #37
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Well, extend the elitist people the same courtesy. If you are an admin and you hear someone saying stuff like "GTFO NEWB FAG", ban 'em for a few days and maybe they will learn to play nice. Either that or they will go back to their league-rules-for-leagues-that-do-not-exist-yet servers and be out of the way anyway.

I have seen leagues do nothing in FF but harm the community in the few days that the mod has been out. Why do so many idiots who are running a FF box automatically go "LOLTFCSOURCE" and start imposing draconian league rules?

I honestly, fervently hope that the leagues really loosen up on the stupid rules and end this douchebaggery.

I mean, if anything, they are all like "LEARN TO PLAI I GOT SKILLZ", but apparantly not enough skills to get around a medic on defense or fight someone in the yard on the way to your base. Freeform play will do the leagues more good than harm.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #38
Barsteward

Why not simply make it a little easier for everyone.

Add a tag on to the end of your server name: Beginners, Intermediate and Experts.

This will at least allow everyone to make an informed choice about which server they are joining and their expectations will be managed accordingly.

TFC ended because of the elitist attitudes displayed by many individuals.

FF has the chance for a new start and should be treated as such. If you want to have a rules intensive, our way or the high way style of play - stick a password on the server.

I would hope that the big server providers such as multiplay, jolt et al actively discourage such pretentious attitudes and let people play how they want to.
Barsteward is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #39
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Well, extend the elitist people the same courtesy. If you are an admin and you hear someone saying stuff like "GTFO NEWB FAG", ban 'em for a few days and maybe they will learn to play nice. Either that or they will go back to their league-rules-for-leagues-that-do-not-exist-yet servers and be out of the way anyway.

I have seen leagues do nothing in FF but harm the community in the few days that the mod has been out. Why do so many idiots who are running a FF box automatically go "LOLTFCSOURCE" and start imposing draconian league rules?

I honestly, fervently hope that the leagues really loosen up on the stupid rules and end this douchebaggery.

I mean, if anything, they are all like "LEARN TO PLAI I GOT SKILLZ", but apparantly not enough skills to get around a medic on defense or fight someone in the yard on the way to your base. Freeform play will do the leagues more good than harm.
UGC is starting out with a clean slate. There will be no "play style" rules such as ovo or Max D.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #40
groovyf
In the clouds

I've spotted only a small number of people complaining about "noobs" on our servers. I tell them to chill out as they may be new to the game. No real bad attitudes on display though fortunately.
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote