Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #22
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
There are somethings I like and some things I don't.

I like...
Being able to see when I actually hit someone, though I was doing just fine before that.

Knowing who has the flag and where its at.

SG seems a little better, though still gets owned easy. I also think they should have a little better range of say 10% or so.

When on a sniper deck its nice not to be bounced around by friendly concs as much.

Nails moving slower and showing up better

Slowing people down in the air when hitting them with stuff

Loved all the little easter egg sounds on one of those new maps (the one thats inside). I found them cause I have a habit of pressing all the little buttons I can find, people thought I was nuts at first... well its true I am but at least they know the sound is actually there.

I love that the flag is much harder to pick up now, and you have to actually hit it to pick it up. No more scouts or some other fast mover picking it up while just flying past

Love that you can see what weapon you are shown to be holding while disguised

I don't like...

The spy gas grenade was removed. Why? If you're gonna replace it with something else then remove it once the replacement is ready, bit a patch or 2 before. While not the most effective thing, I usually used it to help cover my back so that I know when someone is following me or so that it alerts others when someone is coming.

The vox was nice change at first, just gets annoying fast. Being able to turn down the volume or just turn it off would be nice.

Another thing about the vox I dislike is that it reminds me of TF2, a lot.

I dislike what was done to bases. The invisible wall that doesn't allow you to push up against the far side is annoying. The ability to get up to the very top was removed. Too many easy ways for people to get into the base now, the rock out cropping could be removed cause at least before it made snipers have to be much more careful once up in their sniper spots. Removed fake wall, why? The only things that really needed changing on the old map was better signage for those carrying the flag and have the destruction of the mainframe do something other then add a few points, have it maybe put down a ramp or a ladder or something to allow easier access into the base instead of the ladders.

Flashing pipes? Its annoying that they are very clearly advertising where they are.

Decreased pipes radius, they are hard enough to kill or jump with already.

Louder foot sounds. It can be hard enough to get into some bases. If you want the footfall sounds louder turn up your speakers.

Sniper legging reduced to 5 seconds? At least when it was 10 or 15 seconds while annoying it made the person think where are they going to hide for that 10 to 15 seconds.

The new way that the spy cloak works. While I'm not big on it, I can live with it. I still prefer the last version as I found it easier to fake out people cause I got used to how the loud cloak was done.

Thats all I can think for now cause its late.

Last edited by Gwarsbane; 09-21-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #23
Mikael_hs
Beta Tester

Affiliations: Wazzazzaza
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I like most a lot and also I feel some changes may take time to like; as it is now the only thing I wouldve had different is mb slightly more powerful sg (lvl3?), slightly faster nails (while they were overpowered before, they are utterly useless against anything but sg now arent they?) and I don't really understand why grenades are quicker. That last one seems a bit arbitrary to me, since it kinda gives a new advantage over the sg which already was fairly easy to take down...

However it will be nice to see if this might mean that one won't need to get that damn sg down on every single run but instead can focus more on getting the rest of the defence down, like say soldier and hw. I think all of these changes really will help teamplay a lot; no more 500 homeruns though ;P

So all in all fuckin awesome. Once I changed to the old jumpsound the bhop felt just the way it ought to (I actually think it "feels" slower much due to the new sound), and anything else I atm dislike is very minor and may very wel just be an artifact from 2.3. The friction is great and the fact that the game is slightly "slower" in some ways (friction +slowdown) is just good too...

ps. I think the new vox works perfect during public gameplay, say in avd. Not so much in clanstyle gameplay but I just switch back and forth very easily. However an ingame menu for that would ofc appeal to the MASSES.
Mikael_hs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
SuperGaZZ

Class/Position: FL Solly, Engy
Gametype: Defence
Affiliations: -|7th|-
So far playing patch 2.4 I have enjoyed the experience. Engy SG improvements I have been enjoying and also the speed reduction when blasting a scooter in the face, at last

Jump sounds are annoying especially when in a busy area with everyone jumping around, my head was busting. But I mainly play def so will help there I suppose.

Vox sounds i don't mind too much and giggles at the ammo to kill n00bies quote

This may just be in my head but I feel the shotty has become weaker. It seems to take longer to kill an enemy with it. The amount of times I hit a scout up and it took 2 shotties instead of 1 came as a surprise

Off topic and in reply to PartialSchism and Bridget

Last edited by SuperGaZZ; 09-21-2009 at 02:19 PM.
SuperGaZZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #25
Zrix

Class/Position: Engineer / O&D
Gametype: CTF & AD
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I'm liking it so far.

The thing that annoys me the most is that the announcer voice sounds like it's coming from the player, and not the map itself. Seems strange that my guy would run around screeming We have the flag! when he is on the other side of the map.

Last edited by Zrix; 09-21-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Zrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #26
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Class/Position: Sniper, Spy
Gametype: Spy Deathmatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrix View Post
The thing that annoys me the most is that the announcer voice sounds like it's coming from the player, and not the map itself. Seems strange that my guy would run around screeming We have the flag! when he is on the other side of the map.
this. the announcer is annoying as hell. and the jump sounds are soo freakin loud. honestly, would anything in the world make a noise that loud when they jump? no gas grenades... why? what was the point of taking them out? the jump thing... now there will be a bunch of noobs thinking they can b-hop everywhere and it will just get annoying because they really wont be. the nailguns are useless now IMHO. and the pipes scream at you. "IM HERE! DONT COME NEAR ME!"

very disappointed...

Last edited by Snipe; 09-21-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #27
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
this. the announcer is annoying as hell. and the jump sounds are soo freakin loud. honestly, would anything in the world make a noise that loud when they jump? no gas grenades... why? what was the point of taking them out? the jump thing... now there will be a bunch of noobs thinking they can b-hop everywhere and it will just get annoying because they really wont be. the nailguns are useless now IMHO. and the pipes scream at you. "IM HERE! DONT COME NEAR ME!"

very disappointed...
  1. Don't like announcer? Change it. QQ less.
  2. Jump isn't loud. GTFO.
  3. Gas grenades were useless.
  4. They couldn't jump before, and if they can't now, what's the difference?
  5. Nail guns are not useless, they require more skill, hence why you can't use them and QQ.
  6. People edited their pipes anyway. Now everyone has a fair chance. Besides, you should be using blue pipes. Not everyone's gonna LOLFALL for your obvious pipe trap. L2demo
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #28
Ostrich_Eggs

Am I the only one who thinks the changes to speed were unnecessary? It seems like all the people I talk to believe they are warranted, but it encompasses so much more than just boosting people with rockets. And plus, 9 times out of 10 if you boost someone with your rocket it won't help them, it'll throw em into a wall or send them in a different direction.
Ostrich_Eggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #29
wakka

Class/Position: top
Gametype: pwning caroline in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrich_Eggs View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the changes to speed were unnecessary?
yes
wakka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #30
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks the changes to speed were unnecessary? It seems like all the people I talk to believe they are warranted, but it encompasses so much more than just boosting people with rockets.
It's not just about rockets. The damage slow is a huge gameplay wide change with many many positive knock-on effects. Some of the positive benefits include:

• 1 skilled player no longer finishes AvD maps with 1 grenade jump
  • Slowing players down as they exit with your flag rather than boosting them on their way
  • Every shot counts, less feeling of futility
  • Every shot that new players make has an effect, even if the opponent caps
  • Rewarding movement skill and dodging gunfire
  • Less homeruns, more staggered flag movement (more unique defensive situations)
  • Less reliance on demomen, ability to stop concers back in the hands of soldiers/engis/hws
  • Slightly slower game overall without nerfing runspeeds or bhop cap
  • Much better replacement for bullet push, less frustrating
  • New players can now affect the movement of skilled opponents
  • More direct interaction between players (rather than moving in straight lines and not dodging)
  • Using hitscan weapons (soldier/demo shotguns) is now worthwhile vs airbourne targets
  • and many more
Hopefully after playing with it a bit longer you'll start to understand how awesome it is

Last edited by AfterShock; 09-21-2009 at 07:25 PM.
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #31
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks the changes to speed were unnecessary?
Values should be a little lower than what they are.

Jump is loud as fuck, plus, the new sound is too static. (as in one sound across many textures, is annoying as hell.) Should be turned down.

New vox is another reminder of tf2, its pretty gay. Although fixed ammome sounds is nice

Dont like the decreased pipe radius or the fact that they flash yellow.

Nails seem a tad too slow.

Gas grenades gone: Why?

Also friction increase is nice except for the slower speed up for bhopping.

Other than that good patch.
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #32
gibz
Title title title title

Class/Position: Medic O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF, Water Battle
Affiliations: :e0: and n-t
Honestly Bridget, you are cool.

Last edited by gibz; 09-21-2009 at 08:52 PM.
gibz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #33
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Class/Position: Sniper, Spy
Gametype: Spy Deathmatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
  1. Don't like announcer? Change it. QQ less.
  2. Jump isn't loud. GTFO.
  3. Gas grenades were useless.
  4. They couldn't jump before, and if they can't now, what's the difference?
  5. Nail guns are not useless, they require more skill, hence why you can't use them and QQ.
  6. People edited their pipes anyway. Now everyone has a fair chance. Besides, you should be using blue pipes. Not everyone's gonna LOLFALL for your obvious pipe trap. L2demo
1. No shit. Im aware i can change it.
2. Jump is loud as fuck. are you on crack?
3. Gas grenades werent useless. You obviously dont have any skill using them.
4. the difference is it will ultimately slow some of them down. thus getting into other peoples way more.
5. seriously, a HW could dodge the nails with ease while hes firing his AC.
6. people still LOLFALL for my pipe trap because i hide them in areas you dont see them. now a blind guy can see em. and i know people edited the models, im talking about the general population.

anything else smarty?
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #34
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
3. Gas grenades werent useless. You obviously dont have any skill using them.
How exactly could one be more effective than another at using a gas grenade? They were most useful when spammed (randomly thrown in a general area at no specific time).

What is a skillful use of gas grenades?

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #35
Junkhead
Bacon haxor

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Send a message via MSN to Junkhead
I found them useful for area control. If I tossed a gas grenade somewhere, I could be reasonably sure no one would enter that area. Useful for situations where your opponent only has two directions to go in, and you needed to predict which one they'd choose. Other than that, yeah, I didn't think they were all that useful
Junkhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #36
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
As I said in my post, I tossed them in areas where it would make people think twice about going up cause once they were in the cloud things were altered, though not enough, I think they could have gotten a little conc effect, not much, just enough to toss the aim off, maybe even slow then down a little.

I also tossed them in places that would help my team and let them know someone was coming.

If I couldn't find a spy that I know is in the area I toss one in hopes that they are within the gases range.

They could be more useful but they are far from useless. And again if they were going to be replaced why remove them before the replacement is put in.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #37
Bridget
Banned

They're useless and annoying, plus you can't tell if the cloud belongs to your team mate, so often they do a disservice to your team mates, who avoid usually a somewhat quick path to the flag because they're not sure if the gas belongs to the enemy or not. If you could tell which ones belonged to your team, well, then, you would know which ones belonged to the enemy and it would the become useless. Sure, it might have mildly confused some people, but people get mad when you shoot at team mates (especially now considering you might be able to slow them) and it wasn't that difficult to counter once you knew what to look for through the gas status effect.

They were removed because of what I said. They're useless and annoying. Why perpetuate something like that simply because you don't have a replacement? When did you ever see a gas grenade and said "Wow, that's nice placement." Probably never, because they were always mindlessly tossed at spawn exits and such. When I play any class, I feel it an obligation to use my nades. As spy, I just tossed those things randomly. They don't do anything good, and you can't use the occasional situation where it comes in handy to define its general performance.

They're also useful in spam. Gameplay spam and visual spam. The cons outweigh the pros. I never liked them, and I don't think anyone else seriously found them that exciting. Now stop lolbitchin' and think up some replacements. :>

Old 09-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #38
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkhead View Post
If I tossed a gas grenade somewhere, I could be reasonably sure no one would enter that area.
Maybe for a noob... "Oh Noes, not a green funny lookin screen, run away!"
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 01:45 AM   #39
Bridget
Banned

Gas effect just annoyed me, it never came in handy against me. I almost always knew who was an enemy and who wasn't, because it's so easy to tell the difference just by how they react to you, considering this is a fast paced game where the enemy is gonna be on you like flies on shit. If the gas grenade had stuck to its original design, it would have been still kinda useless, but not nearly as useless. I can't tell you how many times I jumped in TFC thinking one of the hallucination nades was real, or how many times I flicked my screen to the right expecting someone to round the corner.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 AM   #40
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper18 View Post
New vox is another reminder of tf2, its pretty gay. Although fixed ammome sounds is nice
Having a personality = TF2.

Shit.