Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #21
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
The only thing bad about Source is that high speeds are dick and Valve seems content in keeping it that way.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #22
Beef Eater

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
The only thing bad about Source is that high speeds are dick and Valve seems content in keeping it that way.
True, the big problem with the Source engine itself is the netcode (and to a lesser degree, performance, because a Quake-style competitive game like this one is best when it's not resource heavy IMO (though Source has relatively low minimum specs for a modern engine)). I really don't understand why Valve's not concerned with the netcode.

Last edited by Beef Eater; 12-29-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Beef Eater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #23
zelenjava
pew pew cry Bridget
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Eater View Post
True, the big problem with the Source engine itself is the netcode (and to a lesser degree, performance, because a Quake-style competitive game like this one is best when it's not resource heavy IMO (though Source has relatively low minimum specs for a modern engine)). I really don't understand why Valve's not concerned with the netcode.
I wonder if they want it like that purely because it would completely change something like TF2 if the sniper actually had decent reg. nothing would get past realistically.
zelenjava is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2009, 05:22 AM   #24
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I could be mistaken, but I don't know of another engine that would have received the same playerbase that isn't Source. Just because other engines have similar or better capabilities doesn't mean there's a playerbase that's even aware of them, whereas there are a zillion mods for Source.

Also the thing I love the most about FF in Source that I think was done tremendously well was the Havok ragdoll physics in FF. That alone is what kept me from wanting to go back to TFC many times.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #25
Beef Eater

Happy new year everyone, and sorry for the late reply/bump!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelenjava View Post
I wonder if they want it like that purely because it would completely change something like TF2 if the sniper actually had decent reg. nothing would get past realistically.
From my experience, snipers benefit from the netcode, the lag compensation allows them them to shoot people "behind walls" Logically though, no one benefits or loses more than anyone else, except perhaps the attacker vs the guy who's retreating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity View Post
I could be mistaken, but I don't know of another engine that would have received the same playerbase that isn't Source. Just because other engines have similar or better capabilities doesn't mean there's a playerbase that's even aware of them, whereas there are a zillion mods for Source.
I don't think the engine matters much to the general public as long as it's a great game that you can play without installing anything else. For people that own Valve games and have them installed that's not a problem for a GoldSrc/Source mod, but more people would be able to play if the game was running standalone on an open source/self built engine (definitely not suggesting the team build an engine themselves!)
Quote:
Also the thing I love the most about FF in Source that I think was done tremendously well was the Havok ragdoll physics in FF. That alone is what kept me from wanting to go back to TFC many times.
To each his own I guess, I think client side ragdolls are a waste from a gameplay standpoint because they can't be gibbed and they can't be used to detonate grenades on Quake 3 style. Moreover, if they were made server side and thus could be used for both these things, they would be a very unpredictable gameplay element because of their realistic physics (like comparing FF demoman grenades with TF2 ones, except of course with a much lesser impact on gameplay because they're just bodies)

Anyway, I read on the forum that at least a few of the Warsow devs are positive about ragdolls and would like to see them in the game some time, so maybe that Source advantage will disappear as Warsow develops

Last edited by Beef Eater; 01-03-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #26
cjeshjoir™
1-800-UNAGIPOWA

Gametype: AvD, Spirit of TFC
Affiliations: ™.AvD
Send a message via AIM to cjeshjoir™ Send a message via Skype™ to cjeshjoir™
Does anyone know for sure that the netcode hasnt been changed with Orangebox?

" In my opinion the testing team isn't really made for or of public players, it's made for competative players... " ¹ -Scuzzy (post# 462713)
cjeshjoir™ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #27
!nF3D4L
D&A Member

Class/Position: Offy ftw
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: ]NM[- `DIB5
Send a message via MSN to !nF3D4L
the engine matters greatly. Steam is a simple and easy way to find download and install mods/games. I doubt 90% of our players wouldn't have found the game. It would be in the same or worse situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
From that angle it looks like she has a flaming penis...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Yeah, cause big bad infy is the center of all things development. He is, however, the center of all things cool.
!nF3D4L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #28
Beef Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjeshjoir™ View Post
Does anyone know for sure that the netcode hasnt been changed with Orangebox?
I bet the engine's netcode changed in the 07 incarnation, just not sufficiently. TF2 demonstrates that

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nF3D4L View Post
the engine matters greatly. Steam is a simple and easy way to find download and install mods/games. I doubt 90% of our players wouldn't have found the game. It would be in the same or worse situation.
Really? 90% of FF players can't browse the web for mods/free games? I somehow doubt that. I also doubt 90% of FF players first saw the mod when they browsed the Steam mods list, but maybe I'm out of the loop when it comes to most Steam users' way of finding mods... Edit: Oh, that was a double negative! Yes, I agree with you

In any case, I think not being a part of an official Steam mods list (not Steamworks), and on the other hand being available to everyone who knows how to look for free games and mods on the web, would kind of weigh out each other con/pro wise I think FF would be in the same or better situation, at least EU pub wise.

But I digress, neither of us can prove one way or the other if the mod/game's popularity would increase, stay the same or worsen, only assume. The main reason I would like FF to use Wsw/CPMA engine is for gameplay reasons. The mod won't likely make a change this big at this point in development, so I guess this thread is a bit pointless Just felt like discussing it.

Last edited by Beef Eater; 01-05-2010 at 08:43 AM.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #29
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
hah, despite your conclusion I was still quite happy to see it brought up and discussed as it was. So thank you

From a completely non-tech, onlooker point of view I agree with you! Or even if its just for EU games so I could stop saying "the Turks have laghax again!"

I just don't get why the Turks are so hard to hit!!
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 01-05-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #30
sp00ky

It doesn't matter which engine they use. The CTF concept is so bloody old no one from the "new age" gamers want to play it anymore, specialy with a class system that needs practice for every single class.

I really would prefer the ut3 engine for a tf mod nowadays, since it is non commerical free and has tons of awesome features, but, FF is maybe the last game of his kind, so enjoy the game and keep it alife as long as you can, it doesn't matter which engine it's coded on, ff is a great mod and tfc has never been this perfect

Big props on the FF dev Team for working on it for just a few guys who still like this type of gameplay since '97 :')
sp00ky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #31
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
So much facepalm in the above post. Don't know where to start.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #32
sp00ky

aww
sp00ky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #33
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Eater View Post
But I digress, neither of us can prove one way or the other if the mod/game's popularity would increase, stay the same or worsen, only assume. The main reason I would like FF to use Wsw/CPMA engine is for gameplay reasons. The mod won't likely make a change this big at this point in development, so I guess this thread is a bit pointless Just felt like discussing it.
I think arQon would have a stroke if he saw someone put CPMA as the same as Warsow.

Anyway, I'm sticking with mod popularity being a matter of player base, word of mouth, and fun first and foremost. Don't you guys know any friends who bought game xyz just for mod zyx?
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #34
Beef Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
I think arQon would have a stroke if he saw someone put CPMA as the same as Warsow.
Sorry, I didn't mean the two are the same, just that they both use good engines made for a similiar game concept. I heard they have comparable netcode, as well, though I admit I never did play CPMA personally.
Quote:
Anyway, I'm sticking with mod popularity being a matter of player base, word of mouth, and fun first and foremost. Don't you guys know any friends who bought game xyz just for mod zyx?
Yeah I agree and I can see your point, I just believe being standalone would mean more potential players.
Many mainstream gamers have already made up their minds that "Why try FF when I can play the real thing, TF2?" It's ignorant, but that's the nature of the mainstream. Being a Source Fortress mod automatically leads to that association and I think that's part of the lacking amount of pub players... Also, better netcode=more fun....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
hah, despite your conclusion I was still quite happy to see it brought up and discussed as it was. So thank you

From a completely non-tech, onlooker point of view I agree with you! Or even if its just for EU games so I could stop saying "the Turks have laghax again!"

I just don't get why the Turks are so hard to hit!!
Some conclusion it was, though I never know when to stop talking. Thanks for being so understanding, I know this discussion would piss me off if I was one of the devs...

Old 01-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #35
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Really? 90% of FF players can't browse the web for mods/free games? I somehow doubt that. I also doubt 90% of FF players first saw the mod when they browsed the Steam mods list, but maybe I'm out of the loop when it comes to most Steam users' way of finding mods...
Here's more or less how I think a lot of people found the mod:

1. Mods for HL were HUGE. Sure mods were made for all sort of games, but nothing near the exposure level. At one time, Counter-Strike alone was one of the most played multiplayer games period. TFC got bundled with patches to Half-Life and got a crapload of exposure.

2. Many people played TFC and liked it.

3. Half-Life 2 came out with promise for new mods on a new engine.

4. A zillion mods get announced for Source, many of which are updates to old HL ones (even though many haven't seen the light of day).

5. People like me check every once and a while to see if TFC is being remade, information leads me here.

I didn't even realize ETF or Q3F existed until after FF's release. So I think using Source absolutely accounts for a lot of the playerbase (or former playerbase at least).
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2010, 02:13 AM   #36
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
I didn't even realize ETF or Q3F existed until after FF's release. So I think using Source absolutely accounts for a lot of the playerbase (or former playerbase at least).

Thats another thing that gets me - you have basically standalone mods like ETF (which are also very polished) but they're also completely dead
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #37
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
1. Mods for HL were HUGE. Sure mods were made for all sort of games, but nothing near the exposure level. At one time, Counter-Strike alone was one of the most played multiplayer games period. TFC got bundled with patches to Half-Life and got a crapload of exposure.
Actually, TFC was the "#1 Online Action Game" before CS usurped the throne.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #38
Beef Eater

Again, bump... Sorry, been busy with other things!
Quote:
Here's more or less how I think a lot of people found the mod:

2. Many people played TFC and liked it.

3. Half-Life 2 came out with promise for new mods on a new engine.

4. A zillion mods get announced for Source, many of which are updates to old HL ones (even though many haven't seen the light of day).

5. People like me check every once and a while to see if TFC is being remade, information leads me here.
True. Regardless, I think being a standalone game (and given a lot of exposure by the right sites) would mean a lot, it would open up the game for a much broader audience (and I guess some CPMA and Warsow players would be less intimidated to try it when it's not Source based)
Quote:
Quote:
Thats another thing that gets me - you have basically standalone mods like ETF (which are also very polished) but they're also completely dead
Actually, you guys have a point there! I don't know the history of Q3F/ETF (wasn't around when they were active), but they are indeed very dead now, and ETF was kinda standalone (though not really).

Old 01-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #39
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous View Post
Actually, TFC was the "#1 Online Action Game" before CS usurped the throne.
Prove it.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #40
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Figures now that someone questions it I can't find any evidence to support me. I recall seeing the sticker on TFC retail boxes about a year before CS had them, but maybe I imagined it.