In Fortress Forever, 2 teams (averaging 5-10 players on each team) compete to capture each others flag (and other gameplay types). Each player can choose his character class out of nine unique classes. Each class has different speed, armor, health, weapons and abilities.
- 2 teams (usually), competing to capture each others flag (more on CTF and other gametypes)
- 9 Classes of player - each with strengths / weaknesses (e.g. Spy can turn invisible, Engineer can build sentry guns)
- Instant respawning - If you die, you can respawn instantly back inside your base. no loss of time getting back to the action
- Using grenades whilst firing (different from other FPS's)
- Weapons jumping, movement techniques (maintaining speed)
By default Fortress Forever has basic controls which are similar to other Half-life / HL2 games where WASD moves you, control ducks, and space jumps. There are however a few extra controls that have been added to Fortress Forever:
- To talk: [Y] to everyone, [U]: Team-only chat, [k] Team Voice Chat.
- A few weapons have two modes of fire. [mouse1] Primary fire, [mouse2] secondary fire.
- Throwing grenades: [F] Frag Grenade, [G] Special class grenades. Most characters have two types of grenades, which can be primed and thrown at any time. Depending on your setup you either hold down the button, then release to throw the grenade, or if you wish to free up your fingers for movement while the grenade is primed, using 'Toggle grenade' means one press to prime, press again to throw.
- Change class / team: [n] Change team, [b] Change class. Remember auto-team-select is your friend!
- Selecting weapons :  - . The higher the number, the more powerful the weapon, in general. For example, the Demoman's Detpack is weapon  (kills everyone it hits in one shot), and his Crowbar is on . The most powerful weapon in the Engineer's arsenal is the Sentry Gun, which is built by weapon slot .
- Throw the flag [C]
- Discard ammo [X]
- Call for Medic [Z]
- Bring down console [~]
Note, while by default reloading is done automatically, you can switch to manual reloading in the Fortress Options menu.
Game Types Overview
There are potentially an unlimited amount of game types in Fortress Forever, limited only by mappers imaginations. However, here are some of the main types that are available at this point:
- Capture the Flag - Your team must go into the enemy base, steal their flag, and bring it back to the capture point in your base. All while preventing the enemy team from doing the same with your flag. Different to other CTF games (e.g. quake 3), in Fortress Forever, you cannot return your flag by touching it. Rather, the flag returns on its own after 60 seconds of not being touched. - eg. ff_crossover. Some maps may have additional security placed in the enemy base which needs to be turned off before you can access the flag. - eg. ff_shutdown2
- Attack & Defend - The attackers must bring their flag to the capture point to advance through the map. The defending team tries to prevent the attackers from doing this until the time runs out. - eg. ff_dustbowl
- Hunted - The bodyguards try to escort the civilian to the escape point, and the assassins try stop the civilian from getting there. - eg. ff_hunted
- Deathmatch - Blow up everything that moves (and also stuff that doesn't).
- Scout - Very fast, and very weak. Primary skill is the concussion grenade [G]
- Sniper - The long range killer
- Soldier - Slow but has massive firepower at short range with his Rocket Launcher
- Demoman - Lots of explosives, can lay traps in key areas
- Medic - 2nd Fastest class, strong arsenal of weapons, can heal friendly players.
- Heavy Weapons Guy - Slowest, most heavily armored class. Powerful chaingun best used at close-medium range.
- Pyro - Lights people on fire, spreads chaos. Also a fast class with his weapons jump.
- Spy - Sneaky, assassin class. Can turn invisible and hack into enemy sentry guns.
- Engineer - Can build sentry guns, ammo dispensers and repair teammates' armor.